Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a few good appraisal estimates. Professionally color matched Spring of 2009. Quite a few pics taken to cover most angles / imperfections (around outer edges and near keyhole). Thanks a ton for helping me put a price on these! I'm too biased to!
Plan to sell on here btw. ;)

Right:

Left:

They're not perfect, but for my first experience working with bondo I'm pretty proud of them. Were only on my eclipse a couple months before I had no choice but to sell it and been holding onto these for inspiration ever since.

Couple installed pics:

Also cursed by factory paint fading.. :rant2:

Stock & Molded tails comparison

Few pics of bondo process for those curious:
Club3G Forums - DV8's Album: Tail Light Project

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Those are very nice. I'd like them more if the light cases were a shaded a bit.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I will give you 5 bucks.

J/K. They look really nice. I have been thinking about trying to do something like this as a summer project, but if these go up for sale and the price is right, I may just jump on them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
those look nice, how many hours did you put into making the set?
Approximately: 10.5 hours prep + Shop time to paint

Bondo work= 1 hour
3 Full layers bondo (done in stages): 15 min each layer = 45 minutes.
2 Touch up / filler coats of bondo = 10 minutes total.

+ 3 rounds of spot putting to smooth any pits and rough patches = 20 minutes total

Curing time= 7.5 hours
Took my time and made sure to allow plenty of time for each layer to dry/cure before going back and sanding - 1.5 hours x 5 = 7.5 hours.

Sanding= 2 hours
Every full layer was sanded; finishing with 1,000 Grit.
All the sanding took the most time honestly! which I'd say was an easy 10-20 minutes dependent on the layer. Final coat of bondo took most time and care to do. Made sure it was so smooth and level to touch it almost felt wet, then off to paint.

Bondo setup is cake & like playing with fire, so that took no time at all and not counted.

Had a shop paint the set for $50.

Probably conservative numbers, but honestly.. the entire process was never tedious to do. Borderline Fun! :)

·
FearIsTheMindKiller
3,936 Posts
Well I paid a friend on here about 75$ I believe to sand/bondo my set then I had mine painted with my car.

I would think people would pay more for those than a set of TYCs, just me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would buy them if the price was right
That's the thing I'm struggling with too! Hell I don't even have the car anymore but still enjoy shining them up from time to time just to remember how much it made the eclipse stand out to people.

Almost too much pride in these for me to responsibly price these, I don't want to undercut my work but not looking to rob anyone either.. outside of a random Ebayer! lol
I just don't know! :dunno:

SO shoot me some numbers fellas! Even if not interested, what's their worth?

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
they look like they could use a little more smoothing, but are VERY nice none the less.

i would love to do that, but i would need to keep my reflectors (i think that would make it harder) since you need them to pass inspection here in PA.

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
I made a similar set about 3 years ago. I told a guy once that wanted a set how much I would charge for them. I told him with labor and all the pieces/parts to make it I wouldn't charge anything less than $300.

Used Depos: $40
Sand paper: $12
Filler: $10
Dremel: Free
Prep hours: 6 times 20 bucks an hr: $120
Paint: $100

Right there thats a total of about $280 for the set I made. If you charge $200 Im sure you will get some biters.

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
I made a similar set about 3 years ago. I told a guy once that wanted a set how much I would charge for them. I told him with labor and all the pieces/parts to make it I wouldn't charge anything less than $300.

Right there thats a total of about $280 for the set I made. If you charge $200 Im sure you will get some biters.
paint would be something i would avoid if i were you, OP. unless you can see the car, and are good at matching faded paint (all paint fades, it is just not noticeable that much, until you put unfaded paint against it.) if you paint a set of tails with the correct paint code, you know a 9 year old car will not actually match it.

200 for a primered set. would be a good price.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I'd think around 200 bucks. If you get more pricey then that, people will just go ahead and do the work themselves rather than fork over the cash.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the thoughts on this, it really is appreciated!!

... I told him with labor and all the pieces/parts to make it I wouldn't charge anything less than $300.

Great point Special_K

200 for a primered set. would be a good price.
Interesting.. a good range between two estimates that both seem reasonable when everything is considered.
Will update thread when I reach a number.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts