Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on another modification to my car and have come across a snag. It's been a while since I've dabbled in solid state electronics, but I think I'm going to have to get back into it for this. Here's what I'm looking at...

I have a momentary switch (only on while you hold the switch down)...for what I'm trying to do, I really, really don't want to look into using another switch as an option. The problem is, the circuit I need to control has to turn on when you press and release the switch once and turn off again when you press and release the switch a second time...a normal on-off switch that stays on and stays off with every other push of the button (does that make sense). The switch will complete the ground for a relay which will power the main circuit, so it's not a high current application.

Going back to my electronics classes of days past, I'm thinking that a flip-flop wired inline with the switch would be my best solution, but wanted to see what others thought. If there's an even easier way (without using a different switch) I'd love to hear your ideas.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can buy a latching relay or use four relays to create a latching relay. Check out Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers
Unless I'm missing something though, a latching relay wouldn't really help the situation...all that would do is allow the relay to stay energized when I release the switch...it'd still need a second switch to unlatch the relay...I want to use one switch to energize the circuit, and the same switch to de-energize the circuit. I also want to keep my high and low current circuits separated, so I need an additional component.

I think I found my solution though. I should be able to use a Gated S-R Latch to control the gate on an SCR, which will be used to energize the high current relay and reset the Gated S-R Latch...on paper it looks like this will work, so now I just need to make a trip over to Radio Shack so I can test it out...:ndance:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, That is exactly what this will do. One push activates the relay, the next push deactivates. So no, you wouldn't need a second switch. The fourth schematic here Special Applications with SPDT Relays, Diagrams shows a single momenary switch.
This is the best I came up with not knowing all the specs of your project.
Ok, sweet...the link worked this time. That's exactly what I was looking for...that will be a lot easier than having to figure out what capacitors, resistors, etc. I'd need for a solid-state circuit. Some of the other circuits on that link will actually help me with some other projects I have planned as well...:bigthumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts