Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

MSD IGNITION FOR US V6 GUYS(no more spark supression at high boost)

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Clipse3GT 
#1 · (Edited)
Well let start here, my friend works for a place called C&D ELECTRONICS LAB,
They make clear engines for testing and balanceing, so i got the idea to simulate are clycinders and the spark at high boost. We built two cyclinders from our block to the exact specs, and mounted the rear head to it with the disturbutor and added a FI effect of 10 pounds at first. Well at ten pounds we saw little or no effect on the spark, but when we raised it to 12 lbs we saw at 3325rpm,we started getting a little spark suppresion(spark supression being that the ignition was not able to over come the boost pressure in the cyclinders to fire).
So Afetr seeing this made me think, our cars always suptered at high rpms under boost. So after talking to Ian (rezlo), he said its a common problem.
So i started looking into a aftermarket ignition. The BTM6 MSD is the choice for us. Letting you retard the spark 3 degrees per pound of boost. I know the emanage does this also, but it does not offer the hotter spark which is what we are going after. The ignition matched with a blaster SS coil, did the trick.
We ran the MSD ignition on the setup all the way up to 40 psi and saw no spark suppresion at all.

I have a complete system including a modified Cap,msd btm6, blaster ss coil.
Now hooking it up to the factory ecu does not work unless you build a resistor pack to go inline to the new ignition(can cuase the ecu to burn out).
But for those that are using the emanage, you can wire the ecu side to the emanage and then the emanage output to the input of the Msd.

I will find a how to on the resistor pack and post it up here. Also the caps are being sold by your truly already made if you don't want to do it yourself.
Right now i am in the process of doing a how to for the emanage hookup of it, but will do one for the regular setup as well when time.

Here the link for setup on the factory ECU. http://home.att.net/~t.vago/howto/ja_msd_ignition.html

See less See more
#5 ·
Tearstone said:
I'm not sure what to make of your post. Is this a product announcement or information I can add to this thread: http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47869

Good job on that 11 second run BTW :woot:
well you could add it there but also i am willing to buid the kit for people who are not good at stuff like this, it up to you on that Tear.

Also the 11sex run was good but could of went better, if i would of sprayed my 100 shot but, then some traction issues come into play. Like no damn traction at all!!!!!!!!! :bash:

Will really see what this car can do nxt year seeing, that my new pressure bar system will be installed and also, my monster engine will be built and completely one off design.

#6 ·
rtspeed said:
well you could add it there but also i am willing to buid the kit for people who are not good at stuff like this, it up to you on that Tear.

Also the 11sex run was good but could of went better, if i would of sprayed my 100 shot but, then some traction issues come into play. Like no damn traction at all!!!!!!!!! :bash:

Will really see what this car can do nxt year seeing, that my new pressure bar system will be installed and also, my monster engine will be built and completely one off design.
Maybe 10 sec's :eek: 3g Eclipse/2G stratus first... that run would have to be video taped. :)

#8 ·
rtspeed said:

Hrmm... maybe we should talk ;).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.