Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

361 - 380 of 415 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
54,328 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
I've used and have been very satisfied with stuff from Blue Sea, it's all high grade plastic and quality stainless steel.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/16/61/Fuse_Blocks/ST_Blade
It's not really cheap but it'll likely outlast the car as it's ocean rated gear.
I needed something that could distribute power and grounds all in one with 125a fuses. I'm really happy with how much it cleaned up the hatch wiring. I'll post pics of the engine bay harness a little later now that it's redone :yesway:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
54,328 Posts
They offer larger blocks with different capabilities too, but for your use what you have should be fine. I like to over-engineer my projects to the point where 100 years from now there will be a stainless steel and plastic fuse holder in the middle of a pile of rust somewhere.

An aside, someone needs to make a forum plug-in that auto-resizes embedded photos here. I'll talk to Chad or someone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
I had a last minute offer on my turbo kit I couldn't refuse so it's now sold and I've begun picking up new parts. I upgraded from the Holset HX40 6767 to a BorgWarner s372sxe with a vband turbine housing and a massive 66mm Precision wastegate. The new turbo manifolds are underway!


Here's where the turbo will sit.


I installed ARP insert washers in the heads. Then the stock head bolts were replaced with H13 1/2" studs.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #369 (Edited)
I've been working hard since the last post! The first few pics are older but they show how it progressed. All the tacked together pipes I'm having my friend backpurge and weld at his shop.

How the secondary pipes flow into the merge


Piping from the merge to the turbo


How the turbo now sits


Ground off the EGR bung and welded a patch over (my first stainless attempt)


Finished the downpipe


Where the downpipe exits under the subframe. There's lots of room to add a catback at a later point now



Test fitted the downpipe


I cut and flipped the tank on the Mivec plenum to move the throttle body. All standoffs and the EGR pipe/flange were removed/welded



Tb flange cut off to change the angle


Porting and polishing the runners while the intake is apart


The end result (I gave up :lol:)


Welding the tank on (my first aluminum attempt)


I'm hoping to have the car running by the end of the weekend. We'll see if it throws any more curve balls :fawk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Almost everything is back together. Hopefully just a few more days before it's on the road again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
Wow! Looks great!
Thanks!

The bearings to spin, did they find anything that caused that to happen?
That was fixed in the fall of last year. Between overheating it from a bad half-size radiator and pushing coolant in high boost, running thinner synthetic oil, and revving higher it was a recipe for disaster.

I've dropped the timing significantly which lowers cylinder pressures and temps. I have a full size radiator with stock fans. And I have H13 1/2" head studs with ARP insert washers. If it still pushes coolant then I'll send my extra heads out for the "head lift fix". I'm pretty confident it'll be just fine though. :agreed:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
Here's the end result of all the grinding and welding. It's not the prettiest but it works and I gained a lot of experience welding aluminum.


I ground down the welds around the tank and coated the intake.


The car is running and driving again. It's been tough to keep it on the road though. On the second day of test driving the rear diff pinion/ring gears exploded while cruising.



I picked up a new diff and cleaned/painted it.


I went for a test drive with the new diff and it began locking up again. Turns out the tcase was damaged at the same time. I had a box of spare tcase parts and was able to replace the ring gear and entire pinion housing/snout.




It was up and running for about a week until the fuel pumps both quit. The old sending unit/Walbro 450 setup is in again til I can afford new pumps. I don't expect any other driveline issues for quite a while and hope to start working on the tune this week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
Just read through your entire build thread. Holy hell. Good job, man. Really impressive what you've done here. Probably most impressive is your intake manifold fabrication. Very few would attempt that.
 
361 - 380 of 415 Posts
Top