Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

401 - 420 of 429 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
You know what, Web Cams do have a lot of experience with the 6G7x from the 3KGT crowd producing both DOHC & SOHC cams. Would they have work for the 3G GT cams back in the day?
Since you making subtle changes to the interior, have you thought of using the diamante VRX steering wheel?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
You know what, Web Cams do have a lot of experience with the 6G7x from the 3KGT crowd producing both DOHC & SOHC cams. Would they have work for the 3G GT cams back in the day?
Since you making subtle changes to the interior, have you thought of using the diamante VRX steering wheel?
I'm sure they could have and definitely still can. And I hadn't seen that steering wheel before but I'm on the fence about it cause it has a 90's feel. It's a direct swap?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
Couple small updates. I decided to add interior LED bulb swap to the list. I'm changing the bulbs on the cluster (back lighting and all small lights on top), clock pod, rear view mirror, hvac controller, and the glove box. I'm waiting on some more LEDs from Amazon and it'll be wrapped up. They really change the feel of the interior by getting rid of the yellowish colors for a bright white. While working on the hvac controller I broke the tabs on one of the knobs so I'll have to visit the yard for a donation lol.
Another update is I'm adding paddle shifters! They'll be mounted to the column rather than the steering wheel so I can avoid touching the clockspring and always have access to the paddles while making turns. I picked up some universal 3D printed shifters that seem to be well made and have a very positive engagement feel. After I have the interior back together and paddles mounted I'll post pictures if my garage lighting allows.
Lastly, a few weeks ago I sent out a spare set of RPW stage 3 turbo cams to Delta Cams to have some lobes repaired. I think I should be seeing those back along with my Mivec cams from Web Cams and my Mivec heads from Pampena Motorsports next week. In the mean time I'll be cleaning up my valve train and preparing to pull the long block for surgery :whistle:

• AEM oil pressure and coolant temp gauges
  • Stratus RT brushed nickel center console
  • New Mivec heads w/ mild port and polish
  • Head lift fix
  • Mivec regrind cams
  • Fidanza adjustable cam gears
  • New hydraulic lifters
  • Adding reliefs to pistons
  • Rebuilding trans with Raybestos stage 1 friction discs
  • Interior LED swap (cluster, clock pod, rear view mirror, hvac controller, glove box)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #405
Hard to see but the clock pod and hvac controller are very bright white and the yellow color is gone

I also modified the 75 fuel rails with 6an in and outlets. Then I removed the pcv vacuum nipple from the upper intake. I drilled and tapped it to 1/8npt for a 4an adapter to the fuel pressure regulator

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hard to see but the clock pod and hvac controller are very bright white and the yellow color is gone

I also modified the 75 fuel rails with 6an in and outlets. Then I removed the pcv vacuum nipple from the upper intake. I drilled and tapped it to 1/8npt for a 4an adapter to the fuel pressure regulator

So you didn't like the last intake manifold?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ugh. It's too bad these engines don't rev high. It would be so much nicer if the intake manifolds just sat in the center of the vee with little intake runners. Or maybe if mitsubishi just put some effort into making longer runners that fit in the vee.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
So you didn't like the last intake manifold?
It worked but was a tight fit and I'm not completely happy with how it came out. Also my new heads are not gasket matched so the lower and upper intakes need to be replaced. I wanted to run the 75 fuel rails and keep the pcv vacuum port as well.

I like the white bright collor.
It's not easy swapping the hvac bulbs but was worth it. There are 2 type 74 bulbs in the hvac controller and 3 of those in the clock pod in case you're wondering.

Ugh. It's too bad these engines don't rev high. It would be so much nicer if the intake manifolds just sat in the center of the vee with little intake runners. Or maybe if mitsubishi just put some effort into making longer runners that fit in the vee.
I remember reading that the stock 75M redline in the 4G was 7200 (don't quote me) and I know for a fact the 3G redline is 6200. Also the mivec cam profile and shorter runners make it a higher revving engine. I've seen dynos compared between the 75 and 75M which showed the 75 making more torque and the 75M making more HP and it mostly comes down to the cam profiles. RPW does have several NA and turbo options for both engines. I'm friends with an Australian guy with a custom intake how you described. It looks like he chopped a 3" diameter pipe longways and then welded it directly to the lower intake. I wouldn't call that the ideal setup for making power though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
I cleaned up the intake valves and am working on the exhaust valves. They could use a 3 angle grind but some lapping should be adequate. I'm waiting to hear back but maybe the Mivec cams and heads will make it back by next weekend?

Universal Amazon paddle shifters were added to the trim around the column. They were 3D printed and use a micro switch. I just had to make small brackets between the paddles and paddle switches to position them correctly. It's very easy to tap into the wiring for the sportronic shifter base and add these. There's an in-depth write up on here showing which wires to use.

I also updated the main post with the current list of mods and added a "recap of events" that highlights the changes to the car over the years. Stay tuned :geek:

·
Registered
491 Posts
It comes down to cost and packaging for the intake manifold. There is not enough space between the hood and the engine(approximately 5") for an intake manifold to offer optimal torque and horsepower for production vehicles.
But I do like the intake plenum for the RS3 & TT RS, that is probably an intake manifold you are referring to.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It comes down to cost and packaging for the intake manifold. There is not enough space between the hood and the engine(approximately 5") for an intake manifold to offer optimal torque and horsepower for production vehicles.
But I do like the intake plenum for the RS3 & TT RS, that is probably an intake manifold you are referring to.
LS engines are another example. I don't think the intake manifold comes up much higher than the top of the valve covers on those engines. Admittedly a much more developed engine though...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #415
I picked up an MMCS navigation radio and this thing is awesome! The technology definitely shows it's age but you can't go wrong with the features. It has navigation, plays cd's, plays dvd's, siriusxm input, hd radio, video/audio aux input, video/audio aux output (to rear tv's), backup camera input, and the ability to add usb/bluetooth with an extra module. The only thing I can't figure out is what wire sends the reverse signal to display the backup camera on the screen. In the diagnostic menu it detects it and works just fine. I'm hoping it's not sent through CAN-BUS. Any ideas?

This is the pinout I've referenced

Here's what it looks like

And the fitment in the 3G (I'll definitely be trimming the radio bezel)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #417
Briefly looking at it, it does not run through a CANBUS system. If it did, you would have a high and low bus lines in the 12 pin connector.
I figured it out! Pin 2 of the "Navi power supply connector" is labeled "PS-R". When that pin sees 12v the radio displays the backup camera. Maybe it stands for power supply-reverse? All is good now and time to button up the install.

Here's an interior pic highlighting all the changes I've made recently

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
Looking really good! Changes the whole look of the dash
Yeah I agree. I sit in it and it feels like a different car! It'll be fun to test everything out this spring and see how well it all works.

Our lease was ending in April and we missed our chance last year but this time around we bought a house! It's a new build with an awesome 3.5 car garage, vaulted ceilings, unfinished basement (will double square footage when finished), stainless appliances, etc o_O I'm currently working to seal the garage floor before we bring anything in there.

We decided to pick up a new tv since they basically give them away now and our current 60" projection is a lot to bring with. We picked up this Vizio 65" for $478 before taxes. Crazy.

I have to get the car mostly put back together so it can be transported to the new house and then the real tear down will happen! New heads, new cams, valve reliefs, new turbo kit, trans rebuild, new front brake setup, new wheels, and more. Lots and lots to do including new house stuff and it's a toss up if it'll all be done before race season. I'll post updates as often as possible.

401 - 420 of 429 Posts