Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

421 - 440 of 446 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #421 (Edited)
Dude! That;'s huge! Good for you! So much garage space!
Yeah I can finally make a full lap around my car without turning sideways! :p it's an awesome feeling owning something on a scale this big and as nice as it is.

A few more updates. I've been looking at other aspects of the car that effect performance and a major issue was wheel weight. The XXR's weighed 23.7lbs a piece. I picked up some used Enkei RPF1's weighing 15.9lbs and saved 7.8lbs of rotational weight per wheel! That will make a HUGE difference in acceleration.

In order to fit the wheels over the front Brembos I need a 20mm spacer that weighs 2lbs. I decided to swap the Brembos for Endeavor 2 piston calipers. Not sure if I'll lose some braking power but each rotor is 4lbs lighter! That's 39.2lbs total. I've heard of people dropping .25 seconds off their ET with ten times less rotational weight removed! Don't quote me but I think just those changes alone would have been enough to see a 9 second pass at the track!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bro like i told you already i am so excited about you being a home owner, i bought mine almost two years ago and it is so nice to have my own place to work and do what i want. im excited for 2020 for both our cars!!! hopefully we can chase that top spot and put some heat on each other to be better and to go faster!!!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Even if you did have to bite it with the spacer, it's closer to the rotational axis so it still would have been better than where you started. Less weight overall is probably better though. Also doesn't hurt that the rotor itself is lighter too. Lookin' good, man!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #426 (Edited)
Wow 275/40/17 is this a 8J rims ?
17x9 RPF1 wheels

Bro like i told you already i am so excited about you being a home owner, i bought mine almost two years ago and it is so nice to have my own place to work and do what i want. im excited for 2020 for both our cars!!! hopefully we can chase that top spot and put some heat on each other to be better and to go faster!!!
Yeah as soon as we've moved in it'll feel amazing! It's a little further outside of town than we wanted but you get way more house for the money. Hopefully I keep the Eclipse under 10,000 miles a year still :unsure:

Man, I need a bigger garage with a house attached too lol. 2 car garage but I have 3 cars here.
Yup I have a Nissan Armada truck for towing and that thing takes up more than half our current garage space. It's a tight fit with the Eclipse, my tool box, 3 large shelves, and an engine on a stand lol

Even if you did have to bite it with the spacer, it's closer to the rotational axis so it still would have been better than where you started. Less weight overall is probably better though. Also doesn't hurt that the rotor itself is lighter too. Lookin' good, man!
Less rotating mass and overall weight should definitely help with acceleration. I also wanted more tuck and a less aggressive offset. Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
We decided to seal coat the garage floor before we put anything in it. We first painted it armor gray and added some flake. Then we put a layer of clear and still need a second layer to finish. Here is the result so far:

I finished up the porting and polishing of my new heads after receiving them back from the head lift fix. I also added the insert washers to them.

My cams are back from Web Cams and look awesome!

I also picked up adjustable cam gears to dial in the new cams

The last update is that in order to fit the RPF1'S in the rear a 15mm spacer is required and the studs needed to be shortened. Because the tire was about 3mm from the knuckle and I was worried about tire squish during launches, I shaved a small amount of material from the knuckle for more clearance. I can safely take up to 5mm more off at a later date if need be.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
That garage floor looks so good! Cams and ports too!
Thanks! We're very happy with the outcome of it; especially with how inexpensive it was to do it ourselves.

Those Mivec lobes look huge!
Unfortunately the cams will not work. After taking more than a quick glance I realized they made the profiles much larger than what was specified. The lobes are so large that they physically can't slide past the journal. Huge fail on Web Cams' part. Not only that but I was charged several hundred dollars more than what was agreed upon. A dispute for the entire amount is in the works and the company is not happy. It's safe to say I will not be going through them again.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thanks! We're very happy with the outcome of it; especially with how inexpensive it was to do it ourselves.

Unfortunately the cams will not work. After taking more than a quick glance I realized they made the profiles much larger than what was specified. The lobes are so large that they physically can't slide past the journal. Huge fail on Web Cams' part. Not only that but I was charged several hundred dollars more than what was agreed upon. A dispute for the entire amount is in the works and the company is not happy. It's safe to say I will not be going through them again.
That sucks. All that work and waiting for nothing. How did they mess that up? I thought they had experience with these engines.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
That sucks. All that work and waiting for nothing. How did they mess that up? I thought they had experience with these engines.
I chose cam profiles that they provided and I think they just threw them on without resizing to the correct base circle/lobe height. The entire profile just seems way too big in a side by side comparison next to a stock cam. Also the mivec intake and exhaust lobes are supposed to be the same size but the overall height of the exhaust lobe is over 40 thousandths taller. I'll have a chance to measure the base circle in the next few days and can see if I'm right.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
On another note I was able to cobble my car together enough to drive onto a trailer and transport it to the new house! The remainder of our stuff that needs to be moved is just garage shelving and car parts :D Then we're all done!

(no the evo x isn't mine lol)

·
Registered
337 Posts
is that EVO X yours?!?!? haha jk jk

Damn the Cam thing sucks. so are they going to refund your money?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
is that EVO X yours?!?!? haha jk jk

Damn the Cam thing sucks. so are they going to refund your money?
A dispute was opened about 2 weeks ago for the initial overcharge amount and now for the full total. That was also the last time the company answered their phones.

·
Registered
783 Posts
A dispute was opened about 2 weeks ago for the initial overcharge amount and now for the full total. That was also the last time the company answered their phones.
Jeez. 2 weeks. I don't blame you for getting a charge back. That got their attention real quick, eh? What did they end up saying once you finally got to talk to them? Bridge is burnt or did they offer to make another set?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Jeez. 2 weeks. I don't blame you for getting a charge back. That got their attention real quick, eh? What did they end up saying once you finally got to talk to them? Bridge is burnt or did they offer to make another set?
The conversation we had at that time was regarding the additional $500 they charged. It quickly turned into "I never said we would only charge $900"... "I've been in this business for 20 years"... etc. Of course they don't record calls and over 8 weeks lapsed between giving the go ahead and receiving. The only positive thing she said was she'd speak with the office and see if they can issue a partial refund and will contact me the following business day. I never heard back.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The conversation we had at that time was regarding the additional $500 they charged. It quickly turned into "I never said we would only charge $900"... "I've been in this business for 20 years"... etc. Of course they don't record calls and over 8 weeks lapsed between giving the go ahead and receiving. The only positive thing she said was she'd speak with the office and see if they can issue a partial refund and will contact me the following business day. I never heard back.
A partial refund for completely useless cams. Cool...

421 - 440 of 446 Posts