Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

441 - 460 of 487 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
That's the only problem with the sohc heads I have is being limited to cam lobe height. Dont know how they screwed up.
Yeah it's frustrating. The stock mivec intake lift is .244" and it seems the most you can add before needing to shrink the base circle is around .030". I assume that's how RPW is able to get .343" on their non-mivec cams.

Sadly if things are custom they will not refund it all
I was able to get ahold of Web Cams on Thursday and informed them of the lobe height issue and they agreed the exhaust and mivec lobe are supposed to be matching heights. They also agreed they were supposed to be resized to fit the journal and offered to fix them free of charge and cover shipping both ways. I brought up the $500 overcharge and they said a partial refund was out of the question (I'd even accept half of that to not completely burn the bridge). The dispute will stay open until something gets resolved and I have the functional cams in my hand.

·
974 Posts
Well that's something. $500 is a lot of money for them to unilaterally decide to take though. Did they even give an excuse why they took that much? Did they think they were only making one cam? Did they think it was a non-mivec job? That's a huge jump.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
Well that's something. $500 is a lot of money for them to unilaterally decide to take though. Did they even give an excuse why they took that much? Did they think they were only making one cam? Did they think it was a non-mivec job? That's a huge jump.
I was initially quoted around 900. Then they bumped it to 1700 and said they can give wholesale pricing of 1400 and that "custom masters" would have to be made for the exhaust and intake high lobes. Since I wanted to keep it under 1000 I was told I could pick from pre-made "masters" and it would drop the price by 250/each (so back to 900). I chose the pre-made masters from a list she sent in an email. I went with a matching master for both lobes. All was good. The next day she calls and had forgotten to ask about the intake low a and b lobes (one is around half the lift). Again I chose from 2 lists of masters and was told that the work had started and to expect a tracking number in 2-3 weeks. Somewhere in the 8 weeks that passed was a disconnect on what was said and the extra 500 is now part of the "original estimated cost". All good I'm not worried about getting the money back. My bank will handle that. I want working cams in my possession so I can finish the car.

In the meantime I'm painting and assembling the heads. I may send a mivec piston, mivec head, and my full rotating assembly to a local shop to add reliefs and rebalance it. My other option is having a new set of pistons made from the mivec piston with deeper reliefs and matching the mass to my current pistons (so no rebalance is needed). I'm leaning towards new pistons and selling the ones I have. We'll see!

·
54,348 Posts
I feel like the $500 is because there's extra lobes and they didn't explain that clearly to you and/or assumed you just automatically understood. That's a fuck up on their end, in my opinion.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
Who are you going to get the pistons from? Wiseco? Who else do you think will make cams for you?
If I decide to have new pistons made I'll be going with JE again. I'm waiting to see what Web Cams does and go from there. If they don't fix their mistakes and return the cams I'll be ordering RPW stage 2 turbo cams. After shipping, import fees, and currency conversion it'll still be cheaper than the $1400 that Web Cams wants to charge.

I feel like the $500 is because there's extra lobes and they didn't explain that clearly to you and/or assumed you just automatically understood. That's a fuck up on their end, in my opinion.
I agree. I verified the pricing multiple times and asked for options to keep the price under 1000. The woman also had the cams in front of her when we discussed which masters to use.

What was the turbo psi when this dyno run was made?
28psi. It would have made a bit more power if timing had been added accordingly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
how much power would have been gained had the timing been added? would have it reached 800whp? and what was the compression ratio as well? =)

28psi. It would have made a bit more power if timing had been added accordingly.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
how much power would have been gained had the timing been added? would have it reached 800whp? and what was the compression ratio as well? =)
I have no doubt it would have. It was gaining about 25hp/degree added before it pushed coolant. Compression is around 9.9:1.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #454
What does it mean when you "push coolant"? Your head gasket didn't leak did it?
The heads flexed (no head lift fix and resurfaced multiple times), lifted (not likely with the studs I have), or the exhaust leaving the heads superheated the coolant (too much porting of exhaust ports). It would overflow the reservoir on high boost pulls.
that's 25 horsepower on the wheels not on the crank?
Yep at the wheels. The dyno operator let me make some adjustments during the pulls.

·
974 Posts
The heads flexed (no head lift fix and resurfaced multiple times), lifted (not likely with the studs I have), or the exhaust leaving the heads superheated the coolant (too much porting of exhaust ports). It would overflow the reservoir on high boost pulls.

Yep at the wheels. The dyno operator let me make some adjustments during the pulls.
Lol! That's simultaneously a pain in the ass and cool as shit. So much power you're bending the head. Imagine that. That or the superheated coolant. Let's hope there is a fix for whatever it is.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah it's frustrating. The stock mivec intake lift is .244" and it seems the most you can add before needing to shrink the base circle is around .030". I assume that's how RPW is able to get .343" on their non-mivec cams.
Reducing the base circle is the most cost effective way of increasing lift in these engines but you have to either use valve caps on the valve stems or installed larger rollers on the rocker arms to get it back to factory specs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #457
Lol! That's simultaneously a pain in the ass and cool as shit. So much power you're bending the head. Imagine that. That or the superheated coolant. Let's hope there is a fix for whatever it is.
Yeah it's been a problem that's plagued my Mivec swap ever since it was done 3 years ago and it makes sense with how much they had to mill the heads and how much material I removed from them during porting. I never realized how thin the deck or port walls were. The new heads are the first step in potentially fixing the issue.

Reducing the base circle is the most cost effective way of increasing lift in these engines but you have to either use valve caps on the valve stems or installed larger rollers on the rocker arms to get it back to factory specs.
The valve shims are an awesome idea. I hadn't thought of that on a rocker arm engine but it would definitely work to take up the slack. I wonder if any of the evo shims have the correct inner diameter for a 3g spring :unsure:

·
Registered
496 Posts
The valve shims are an awesome idea. I hadn't thought of that on a rocker arm engine but it would definitely work to take up the slack. I wonder if any of the evo shims have the correct inner diameter for a 3g spring :unsure:
Valve caps for the 2JZ from Crower sells them in variety of heights and they are the right diameter(6mm) for the valve stems.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This guys been selling brand new heads on eBay.
I bought a pair. They still have the cosmoline on them. These are left hand heads, but it only takes 5 minutes to fix them. You might be having some metal fatigue And the new heads might help that.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
I wasn't happy with my turbo setup using the stock OBX manifolds and merging under the engine. The manifolds simply take up too much room and having a transfer case behind the engine further complicates things. This is why I've decided to rob the flanges from the manifolds and build my own set.

They will merge above the trans and give plenty of room for the downpipe and wastegate dump. I'll make more progress and give updates once I've refilled my argon tank(y)

441 - 460 of 487 Posts