Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

541 - 560 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #541
Mail that over here, I'll throw it up against my NitroCat 1250K to see how it holds. That weld looks really nice.
Thanks! The same tech managed to crack the socket again but in a different spot :rolleyes: he was trying to extract McGard locks that didn't go more than 1/4" into the socket and hammered the hell out of it til it split. Guess I'll be fixing it again. Maybe I'll add a thick bead around the top to reinforce it.

·
54,392 Posts
Thanks! The same tech managed to crack the socket again but in a different spot :rolleyes: he was trying to extract McGard locks that didn't go more than 1/4" into the socket and hammered the hell out of it til it split. Guess I'll be fixing it again. Maybe I'll add a thick bead around the top to reinforce it.
The trick to getting those nuts off is to heat them with an inductive heater to ruin the hardening on them then hammer the socket on while they're still hot. A dull red glow is all it takes, they come right off after that.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #543
The Precision wastegate is sold and I'm still working on finishing up the intercooler piping and installing the wastegates. I should have pictures to post as well. Once those are installed I can go on the first test drive o_O with how cold the weather is getting I don't have much time.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #545 (Edited)
Here's a progress pic since I haven't posted lately. I went over the welds on either side of the merge to clean them up and it ended up shifting/shortening the piping considerably. I had to cut and adjust everything. Not happy that happened this far along... especially after already building the downpipe and intercooler piping but I made it work. The turbo has more clearance from the hood now. I'm also running open wastegate dumps instead of recircing them to the downpipe. Just need to finish welding the wastegate flanges on!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #553
1000 whp would be great =), will it trap 150mph on 1/4 mile at that power level?
Yes I can already see 150 with converter lock up in 3rd. If I plan to use 4th I can lower boost to wastegate pressure so the carrier doesn't explode again :whistle:

Is now, around 900hp?
Around 800 with a different setup last year. A lot has changed and making power will be easier.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #554 (Edited)
After tacking the wastegate flanges in place I drilled the holes into the merge pipe with my step bit. The holes were large enough so I could coat the inside of the pipe with solar flux. I had to swap to a smaller gas cup to fit behind the flange and so far I finished welding the front flange to the pipe and ported the opening. After the rear flange is done and the dump tubes are installed it's time to switch gears to aluminum welding and build the upper ic pipe. With how thin the ic pipes and bov flange are it makes me nervous to burn through them so I have an extra pipe I've been practicing on. We'll see what happens (y)

BTW the weld on the far right in the first pic was one of my first welds with this project and I think it's pretty obvious how much my consistency has improved.

·
54,392 Posts
After tacking the wastegate flanges in place I drilled the holes into the merge pipe with my step bit. The holes were large enough so I could coat the inside of the pipe with solar flux. I had to swap to a smaller gas cup to fit behind the flange and so far I finished welding the front flange to the pipe and ported the opening. After the rear flange is done and the dump tubes are installed it's time to switch gears to aluminum welding and build the upper ic pipe. With how thin the ic pipes and bov flange are it makes me nervous to burn through them so I have an extra pipe I've been practicing on. We'll see what happens (y)

BTW the weld on the far right in the first pic was one of my first welds with this project and I think it's pretty obvious how much my consistency has improved.
Oh no those sharp angles are gonna hurt flow LOL. Welds look great!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #557
how high does it rev now?, did you changed your camshafts?
It's still set to 7500 and yes I did. But I haven't driven the car so I won't be making changes til I've verified everything mechanically is good.
Oh no those sharp angles are gonna hurt flow LOL. Welds look great!
Which sharp angles? You mean the front gate being perpendicular? It'll be fine lol and thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #559
I was just jokin ya. That whole piece really does look awesomely made.
Thank you! Before this I paid people to weld for me, even with my own welder. It's been a huge learning experience and I can't believe it came out so well.

Here is the rear gate flange welded on

I reinstalled the manifolds and merge pipe to double check the gate positioning and they're perfect. Then I started on the intercooler piping and was able to build the lower and upper charge pipes.

Only things left to finish are:
  • shorten downpipe (a little close to rear gate hat/diaphragm)
  • shorten upper ic pipe and weld bov fitting
  • fix threads on coolant overflow for drain fitting
  • make bracket for throttle cable
  • make heat shields near brake master, distributor, heater core lines, and fuel lines/high pressure ps line
This is how it currently sits

·
54,392 Posts
Isn't it so much fun to find that you need to make one small change and then change 4 other things that now no longer fit as intended but end up making the whole thing better in the process.

541 - 560 of 572 Posts