Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

561 - 572 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #561
Isn't it so much fun to find that you need to make one small change and then change 4 other things that now no longer fit as intended but end up making the whole thing better in the process.
That seems to always be how it goes... Fix one thing and now another needs to be fixed. In this case I made the downpipe first cause I thought the wastegates would be next to the turbo and dump into the downpipe. I could always recirc them later but I should have installed the gates right away and built off that :rolleyes:

·
54,392 Posts
Something something hindsight is 20/20. There's no directions for this custom shit so while it may look like it's all just so perfect when we're done it's really a lot of 'shit that's not gonna work' that hardly anyone gets to see.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
Well it's been a busy week and aside from reinstalling the oil catch can it's all done and ready to drive! Here are the things I finished:
  • shorten downpipe (a little close to rear gate hat/diaphragm)
  • shorten upper ic pipe and weld bov fitting
  • fix threads on coolant overflow for drain fitting
  • make bracket for throttle cable
  • make heat shields near brake master, distributor, heater core lines, and fuel lines/high pressure ps line
  • build wastegate dump tubes
I started by modifying the downpipe since so many other surrounding parts were effected by it's position. Initially the 45 degree bend of the downpipe sat about 1/4" above the rear wastegate and now it's 1.5" in front of it. I'm very happy with the consistency and look of my welds.

Then I went on to building the wastegate dump tubes. I reused pieces of the dump tube from a previous turbo kit to save time (making pie cuts) and money (ordering new pipe and welding everything).

Next it was time to button everything up. I made several heat shields around the downpipe in critical areas, reinstalled the front bumper and headlights, reinstalled the plenum and ic piping, plumbed the air line for the bov, etc.

·
54,392 Posts
For sure gonna need a heat shield between the radiator upper hose and that front exhaust manifold. Just something as simple as flat sheet metal to block the radiated heat will make a large difference. air gap heat shields are still the best and easiest way to insulate from heat for things like that, I know it's a silicone hose but dang that's a hot area.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That is one beautiful engine bay. What kind of throttle body are you using? I like it. Any recommendations other than the stock one for 6G72?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #566
For sure gonna need a heat shield between the radiator upper hose and that front exhaust manifold. Just something as simple as flat sheet metal to block the radiated heat will make a large difference. air gap heat shields are still the best and easiest way to insulate from heat for things like that, I know it's a silicone hose but dang that's a hot area.
The picture makes the hose look much closer than it is. There's probably 6" between the manifold and hose. I do plan to make a shield off the head though.

That is one beautiful engine bay. What kind of throttle body are you using? I like it. Any recommendations other than the stock one for 6G72?
Thank you. It's an S90 70mm throttle body for the Evo 8. It wouldn't line up correctly with the 72 intake. However you can swap to the 3.8nm intake and then use the S90 throttle body. You'll have to make a custom cable bracket, use the Evo 8 TPS sensor (and repin the plug for the TPS), and weld the EGR pipe off the rear exhaust manifold shut (since it won't line up with the 3.8nm intake.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
It sure does look closer. 6 inches is fine if you're just driving, probably less fine doing back to back dyno runs lol.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
I measured to make sure and it's a little less than 5 inches but a heat shield will definitely be made over the winter. At idle I see 208 on my AEM ECT gauge and 222 through EvoScan so I'm thinking the temp calculation in EvoScan is wrong. While cruising the car consistently sits around 184 on the AEM which is much cooler than it ever has. This is without wrapping any piping or installing the turbo blanket. The downpipe and dump tubes may be wrapped at some point.

And apparently it's supposed to snow 2-4 inches tomorrow o_O I drove the car for less than a week! I was able to align it and fix idle/cruising afrs and that's about it.

561 - 572 of 572 Posts