Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

601 - 610 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #603
I need to stop trying to read things on my phone.
I've noticed the site isn't very mobile-friendly and requires a larger screen. Between the upper banner and the keyboard popping up you're pretty much blind when trying to reply. Takes me about 3x as long to navigate and make a post! o_O

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #604
I was at the local you-pull-it yard and found this cool chrome license plate bracket. I also ditched the license plate mounted backup camera for a more discrete camera that doesn't block the license plate light. That's all I've got for you guys this week :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Racecars dont need back up cameras haha

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #606
Racecars dont need back up cameras haha
So you'll throw an unnecessary parachute on your 3G but won't install a $10 backup camera? It's not even a pound between the camera and wiring. And maybe 10% of the driving my car sees is track related so it'd be impractical and make the car unenjoyable to drive if I gutted it... Like too loud to talk, too bouncy, no heat, no ac, no radio, no sunroof, no passenger seat, etc. I'm trying to gap people while riding in style and comfort :LOL:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #607
I measured my cams to find the intake and exhaust centerlines and then compared those centerlines to the TDC of both cylinders 1 and 2 to see if the combustion cycle is identical between both banks. I found the timing marks that Mitsubishi places on the valve covers are staggered and cause bank 1 to fire around 24 degrees later in the cycle than bank 2. It turns out some manufacturers stagger cams to create a broader power range on engines without variable valve timing. Since I have custom cams, I wasn't sent a "cam card" to degree them to specific numbers and will have to play around with them and find what produces the most power. Just setting the rear bank timing identical to the front gave the engine a very unique exhaust tone, it builds more vacuum at idle, it turns over a lot easier by hand, it revs quite a bit faster, and it gets the turbo spooling quicker than I've ever seen with any of the turbos I've used. Who knows the gains I can pull out of it with a few more tweaks of the cam timing!

In order to degree the cams I had to pull the spark plugs and I noticed the insulator of the cylinder 2 plug was brown from baked on oil. I looked in the intake and exhaust ports of that cylinder and they were both oily as well so I decided to replace all 4 valve stem seals. I started by plugging the oil drains in the head with chunks of paper towel to prevent any lifters, bolts, or valve spring locks from falling into the engine. Then I removed the rocker arms and left the cam installed. I put the piston at BDC and filled the cylinder with a long bungee cord before bringing the piston up until it pushed against the valves. My valve spring compressor bolts onto the head so it's as simple as prying down on the spring and grabbing the locks with a magnet tool to release them. I replaced the 4 valve stem seals and it seems to have helped but I'll need to check out the intake and exhaust ports later on and make sure they've dried up.

·
54,409 Posts
I thought everyone knew that the banks were timed differently? It's the same on the 6G72 also and I believe it was Russ way back over a decade ago that stumbled on that and I think he had the same experience you did with cams. I recall a few others over the years including maybe the guy from Minnesota that kind of quit the forums also talking about this and another turbo guy, Pharm maybe too?

I want to say it's for some reasons on the 6G72 but I can't recall what that was right now...maybe to do with idle or timing belt stretch?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #609
I thought everyone knew that the banks were timed differently? It's the same on the 6G72 also and I believe it was Russ way back over a decade ago that stumbled on that and I think he had the same experience you did with cams. I recall a few others over the years including maybe the guy from Minnesota that kind of quit the forums also talking about this and another turbo guy, Pharm maybe too?

I want to say it's for some reasons on the 6G72 but I can't recall what that was right now...maybe to do with idle or timing belt stretch?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
I haven't been around long enough to know Russ and Pharm was already out of the scene when I bought my first 3G. I'll have to do some searching and see how many degrees others found.

·
54,409 Posts
We lost a lot of older posts for some reason a while back, or the search doesn't find them. I was looking for something a few months ago and I couldn't find it. Might have just been an off topic thing though.

The important thing is you found this and it'll only get better.

Found one!

Also found some interesting info about staggering intake valves in a 4 valve head for better flow without loosing low rpm performance, open the valves more but open one a little sooner and you mitigate the low rpm velocity losses by having really big opening. I think. It's s bit over my head. Google staggered intake valves and I'm sure you'll find more.

601 - 610 of 610 Posts