Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I know that honda owners love the fact that their cars have VTEC and how it "throws you back" at a certain rpm.. but our 3g eclipse's come with MVIM which gives you power and throws you back all the time! So is there really a difference and does one give you more performance than the other?? I always hear that they do the same thing and that neither has any performance gains but im still kinda curious so lemme know guys

·
Wait!? thats a Mitsu
280 Posts
Alright so I know that honda owners love the fact that their cars have VTEC and how it "throws you back" at a certain rpm.. but our 3g eclipse's come with MVIM which gives you power and throws you back all the time! So is there really a difference and does one give you more performance than the other?? I always hear that they do the same thing and that neither has any performance gains but im still kinda curious so lemme know guys
I'm pretty sure its only on the GTS

·
54,487 Posts
no, the GTS has a dual runner intake manifold which changes the intake manifold runner length at different rpm's for a broader torque band. read about how/what vtec does and works.

Mitsubishi Variable Induction Management (MVIM)
VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control)

toyota has used a similar system called TVIS and other companies have setups that do the same thing as well.

·
Senior Dangler
2,093 Posts
Ford - Intake manifold runner control.

vtec ivtec, mivec, vvt vvti vvtid(or something like that) are all valve related.

mvim, tvis, IMRC are all manifold geometry related.

·
R.M.D.S.
483 Posts
no, the GTS has a dual runner intake manifold which changes the intake manifold runner length at different rpm's for a broader torque band. read about how/what vtec does and works.

toyota has used a similar system called TVIS and other companies have setups that do the same thing as well.
alright. i wish to learn from this... could you please break it down a little more for me? :blush2:
i know VTEC has to do with the dual cams, allowing the valves to open up more after 4k rpms

·
Registered
954 Posts
alright. i wish to learn from this... could you please break it down a little more for me? :blush2:
i know VTEC has to do with the dual cams, allowing the valves to open up more after 4k rpms
It's really as simple as that. The truth is, the whole idea behind these is simply fuel economy. The principle is that basically, when driving normally, you will never climb above XXXX RPM's. So these systems such as VTEC, allow for you to run on a smaller cam lobes (I believe thats the word I'm looking for), when driving normally. This means better fuel economy.
When you decide you want to do some spirited driving, you then take it above the set RPM's and the larger cam lobes "kick" in, providing more power, but less fuel economy.

I'm not really an expert, at all, but this is my slight understanding of it. Basically, its just for better fuel economy really from what I've been told. :dunno:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pretty much ya, it's so you have a high RPM cam profile to get the most hp/tq out of the longer valve timing on the motor up top w/o sacrificing drivability, idle, and economy down low; best of both worlds

·
R.M.D.S.
483 Posts
awesome! thanx ;) i feel a little smarter and less stupid at the same time :lol:

·
54,487 Posts
fords ztec, mitsu mivec, honda vtec, etc etc, they all do the same thing
fords zetec is just a moniker applied to a whole slew of ford engines, it really has nothing to do with anything. ford has used VVT but not to my knowledge do any of their engines have double cam profiles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so none of it has to do with performance?? this is pretty interesting, and the reason i was asking is because there's this kid i know with a 2003 honda accord v6 and he always says he can kick my ass in a race lol.. i dont wanna race him because thats stupid but he thinks his Vtec is awesome shit and i jus wanna learn more about it to prove him wrong!! What do you guys think? haha would i smoke his honda??

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
vtec actually increases top end performance. you could easily smoke a accord v6 in a gts. i do it weekly.

going on your question, i thought mvim was cams also. what does the mvim do for the gts models. i thought that the mvim is why the gts has more hp and tq then the gt.

·
Chuck Nasty
3,855 Posts
vtec actually increases top end performance. you could easily smoke a accord v6 in a gts. i do it weekly.

going on your question, i thought mvim was cams also. what does the mvim do for the gts models. i thought that the mvim is why the gts has more hp and tq then the gt.
gts has higher compression ratio pistons, better flowing intake manifold, and different gearing. the mvim ust opens runners at 4750 rpm (i think) to allow more air in for a flatter torque curve. the flatter the torque curve , the smoother power comes in. i am pretty sure bitter explained this earlier in the thread.

·
MIVEC?
1,397 Posts

most of the gain for the gts is due to the increase in the comp ratio

·
Boobs!? WHERE!?!
1,030 Posts
Hey didn't someone already cover this base along with asking if they could swap the GTS mani on the GT?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts