Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 5spd
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally getting some time to post this, it's been a long time coming. This is my 5spd 2000 Eclipse GT, and she's been in my care for about a year now after sitting for 5 or so years. Pretty much got it before it was about to go the junkyard since the previous owner hasn't been able to sell the car.

Currently, I'm just trying to improve the drive ability of her and make sure she's running good before dropping in performance parts. The SDS I do have isn't going in anytime soon, I want to build up an engine before that happens and pretty much do a swap with the one that's in there.

Anyways, I will be posting more pics soon since I do only have these two at the moment. I might add a link if I post more pictures.

Current list of mods:
Lowering springs
Godspeed Project Coilovers
03+ Tail lights (I do like the TYC's, but I prefer amber turn signals over red)
Depo black projectors with Sylvania LED lows and Halogen highs
Headers with Cat delete and Apexi N1 Muffler

List of events:
Sept '19 to March '20 - First startup after 5 years. Check all of the belts and such.
Nov '20 to Dec '20 - Rebuild of engine and removal of RIPP SDS.
Jan '21 to Feb '21 - NGK spark plug wires, Denso Iridium TT spark plugs, brand new distributor cap and rotor, junkyard distributor. First oil change after rebuild ~700 miles

Current Issues/To do:
P0400 - I'm not entirely sure why this is triggering, maybe from the headers missing the egr port. I do not have anything on the EGR port but I did find a thread for this.
P0421 - Pretty obvious for the reason, not concerned about it.
Cruise Control - Does not light up with ignition on. Unknown reason, a nice to have but not too concerned either.
Paint - Yeah, 5 years will do that without a wash. Either full respray in original color or wrap, haven't decided
Spoiler - The hooks on the car are from the previous owner. I don't believe he has it anymore so I will be removing those when I get the paint done.
Brakes - As suggested by Murkrow, I may start looking into options here. Will have to do more research, but seems like a great idea.

Updates:
2/24/21 - Ordered Godspeed Project coilovers to replace broken lowering springs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Updated the thread. I've gone ahead and installed the Godspeed Project coilovers. They are on, but I definitely need time to adjust them on my day off because this wheel gap is looking like monster truck territory.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The cruise control issue can be a number of things including a burned out 3rd brake light, a bad cruise control unit, a large vacuum leak, etc. You may also want to pick up tires in the correct size since your speedo will read higher than you're actually going. 215/50R17 is the factory size.

If you're looking for your next upgrade the brakes are never a bad idea. You could swap to Endeavor 2 piston brakes or Evo 8/9 4 piston Brembo brakes in the front. Your 2000 model likely has 2 piston calipers already but the Endeavor rotors are larger in diameter. The front Brembos use an even larger rotor but the cost is considerably more. In the rear I would only recommend the Brembo brakes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow it was an eventful couple days off. The Eclipse definitely had serious problems that showed up when I drove her after getting the ride height set and aligned. Both front wheel bearings had started to make noise and had to be replaced. Along with the axles too since they started leaking grease all over the underside of the car. Running very well now and the ride quality is so much better than those lowering springs.

The next part I am planning on working on is the sound system, the door speakers are completely shot and the rears sound so tinny that it hurts. I've had to redo the wiring since the factory harness was messed with and I believe I have the factory amp under the passenger seat. The speakers are already aftermarket so it's not hooked up, but I am debating on which route I should go.

The cruise control issue can be a number of things including a burned out 3rd brake light, a bad cruise control unit, a large vacuum leak, etc. You may also want to pick up tires in the correct size since your speedo will read higher than you're actually going. 215/50R17 is the factory size.

If you're looking for your next upgrade the brakes are never a bad idea. You could swap to Endeavor 2 piston brakes or Evo 8/9 4 piston Brembo brakes in the front. Your 2000 model likely has 2 piston calipers already but the Endeavor rotors are larger in diameter. The front Brembos use an even larger rotor but the cost is considerably more. In the rear I would only recommend the Brembo brakes.
That does sound like a good idea for the brakes, and my eclipse does have the 2 piston calipers. I haven't really thought about brakes until I realized that I didn't have ABS, so I'll be adding that to the list of things to do!

As for cruise control, I've looking a little bit in to it and I did find the same things you did say. I'm fairly certain that the cruise control unit isn't working since "cruise" on the instrument cluster doesn't light up before startup or when the switch is activated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m gonna guess that editing the original post needs approvals so I’m going to stop (unless it’s for another reason.)

Anyways, I found another 2000 Eclipse GT at one of the cheaper junkyards around me and scored big on interior parts. Full leather seats and original radio and amp plus speakers. They are almost mint for passenger and rear seats, driver seat is used for sure. Seat mechanism was broken for the passenger seat so I swapped the rails over from mine and now they work.

I also got the stock radio and amp plus wiring harness. This one has both a tape and 4 CD player. I’m not familiar with the radio options on this car other than with or without Infinity Sound. Original harness is messed up and the factory amp wire in mine to the radio has rca for aftermarket radios. Overall the sound is amazing, better than my Bose sound system in my Infiniti I30. One speaker is blown, but I just left it unplugged for now until I find another one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not too much to update on, but I recently changed out the bulb in my cluster, clock pod, and climate control switch with LEDs. I need to work on the cluster since I didn't realize there was an orange tint on it.

However, one new problem did pop up while it was raining today. Fuse 13 in the engine compartment blew and I stalled while rolling through an intersection. I was able to safely roll onto the side of the road with hazards on. Took me a while to notice that the SES light was not illuminating when the ignition was switched on, so that took longer than it needed to fix. I seem to have some sort of electrical wiring issue and I believe that there could be some possible explanations for this: Bad main ground (The recall one for the headers and the ground), Crankshaft position sensor harness (Noticed a crack on the white wire on the vehicle side of the harness), One of the O2 sensor wires (One of them might need to be redone since it was touching the headers at some point), or the whole wiring near the engine compartment fuse box (It is a mess, I have no idea what goes where). That's where I am at now, though additional input on more harnesses to check would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2000 Eclipse GT 5 speed everything is new Custom paint blue black metal flake roof 18" wheels
129 Posts
Updated the thread. I've gone ahead and installed the Godspeed Project coilovers. They are on, but I definitely need time to adjust them on my day off because this wheel gap is looking like monster truck territory.
View attachment 43697
Give you a great deal on some brand new 20s (the only picture that I have this one they have less than 20 miles on them ) I will give you a $800 discount

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Give you a great deal on some brand new 20s (the only picture that I have this one they have less than 20 miles on them ) I will give you a $800 discount
Those do look nice, but 20s are a bit too much for me. I'm probably going to go with another set of 17s or 18s, but I do appreciate the offer

·
Premium Member
2000 Eclipse GT 5 speed everything is new Custom paint blue black metal flake roof 18" wheels
129 Posts
Those do look nice, but 20s are a bit too much for me. I'm probably going to go with another set of 17s or 18s, but I do appreciate the offer
It's absolutely know problem yeah I was thinking of a certain look and I didn't find it with these wheels I ended up with awesome 18s that did.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh right, I forgot about updating this thread with that issue. I did make another thread on this here with the problem solved. TL;DR it turned out to be 2 O2 sensors with heat damage the Crankshaft Position Sensor rubbing on the accessory belts shorting out.

Recently had to replace the starter because it died on me out of no where, similar to one of my other cars. Managed to start it with the "push-to-start" feature on manual cars. :LOL:

Other than maintenance, there hasn't been too much done. I'm waiting until after next week to make some plans to do a Diamante intake swap and hopefully fix that EGR code that keeps coming up. And if doing the Diamante intake swap would cause the code to appear anyways, then I won't exactly bother with it too much.

Edit: added info on O2 sensor damage

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Surprise! I have another update with my Eclipse since I had a bit of time to work on her today.

First up is the oil change. Nothing too exciting, used Castrol Edge 10w-30 since it’s starting to get warm in my area. I usually run 5w-30 in winter and 10w-30 in summer. Never gets below freezing here but you never know.

The more exciting part, the P0400 code is finally gone! I managed to find one of my extra EGR solenoids that I bought a year ago and swapped it in after the oil change. I went through about 3 of them before all my EGR codes went away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Installed a new head unit today for the Eclipse. Nothing too exciting as I am borrowing it from one of my other cars while I try to get a double-din size radio. Works great and sounds a great deal better than the original one I had.

For the pocket under, I am using a din pocket from a 95-99 Maxima since I had one lying around and fit decently in the brackets.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found a mint condition dashboard for the eclipse over the weekend and pulled it out yesterday. Surprisingly a lot easier than I thought it would be to take it out but nonetheless I was able to swap it in to mine the same day.

Any tips to prevent cracking in the future?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts