Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 5spd
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This is a pretty mundane update imo, and also not exactly finished either since I'm waiting on the new part but figured I would share.

I decided to change out my cabin air filter since I've seen that 2000 Eclipses were equipped with one and I wasn't sure when the last time it was changed. I ordered a filter from the local parts store and when I took out my assembly, it looked different than the ones I've seen. A video I was following showed that the assembly had the screws attached directly to the air filter assembly, whereas mine had a cover with the screws then the assembly behind it as a separate piece.

The filter itself was completely gummed up with bits and pieces of debris and dirt. It also didn't appear to be replaceable in the sense that the filter media could not be separated from the tray. I ended up washing as much as I could and removing anything loose and sticking the new air filter underneath the tray to catch any of the left over old filter (with airflow facing the correct way of course).

I noticed the part number (MR460041) was attached to the assembly as a sticker with another printed on the plastic (MR227823). I thought that I should look them up since I definitely knew something was up and figured out the first part number that it was replaced by MR500360. After looking that up here revealed that this is the part number used to retrofit a cabin air filter into Eclipses after the 2000 Model Year. The second part number only referred to a 1999 Galant on the Mitsubishi parts website.

My guess is that the cabin air filter in my Eclipse had never been changed since it rolled off the assembly line. My VIN has a pretty low number and a manufacture date of June, 1999. I had gone ahead and ordered the a new cabin air filter from the dealership (the one and only in my city) which is expected to arrive on Thursday.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,397 Posts
My 2001 did not come with a cabin filter… I had to cut the plastic rectangle away. I order a filter that came with a plastic frame and filter with two screws and the job went easy...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The new filter came in today and I took some pictures of the old and new parts.

Old filter with part numbers MR460041 and MR227823
White Automotive design Automotive tire Bumper Automotive lighting

Note that the filter does not appear to be removable on this one
Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Point-and-shoot camera Camera

This is the cover for the old filter
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Finger Hood Vehicle door

The new air filter assembly with part number MR500360
Hand Watch Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Note this one has a filter that can be replaced.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Material property Gas

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Another post, another update. Recently just changed the ECM, Immobilizer, and Distributor from a 2002 GT 5Spd. Mainly this was a necessity to do this rather than an optional upgrade as the original ECM is dumping fuel with fuel trims maxed out. Drivability wise, she’s definitely got more power thanks to correct fuel trims.

I was able to reprogram the immobilizer with new keys as my original would not synchronize with the new immobilizer. 2002+ and some 2001s have an “N” stamped on the key whereas 2000 and some 2001s are stamped with an “R.”

I changed the distributor to get rid of the Cam and Crankshaft codes, I was familiar with 2002 having different distributor part numbers already so not too big a deal.

The last bit about this particular swap was the P0183 - Fuel Temperature Circuit A high. Nothing I can do for the time being until I get the Mitsubishi adapter for the tactrix cable and delete the code. I would rather not touch the harness to add the resistor, as the condition of the harness from the remains of the Ripp Mods piggyback is not the greatest.

I know I wrote a lot but this is a culmination of research I’ve gathered to prepare for this swap without having the possibility of deleting the immobilizer, or flashing a 2001 rom to get rid of codes.

I took some pictures in case anyone is curious about part numbers and such. Note the “R” and “N” on the last picture for the different chips for the transponder.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Hand Camera lens Camera accessory Finger Lens

·
Registered
2002 Eclipse GT 5 Speed
70 Posts
CLASSIC ROD !!!!
View attachment 45201

Oh don't worry, give it 3 more years and it'll be solidified classic by then. Crazy to think i was born in the middle of 2000 and have to realize this too.

the year 2000 being classic makes me feel old for some reason......................

Reactions: stent

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Small update to the Eclipse as I haven't done too much aside from basic maintenance to keep her running. Recently installed 4G Eclipse seats, replacing the cloth and leather combo to these. The picture only has the driver side installed but I do have both installed now.

Comfort-wise, these are so much better for daily use and have more support overall.
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

21 - 29 of 29 Posts