Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so, I'm new to this forum and I found it lookin' around on google because of my car's death. And basically would like to vent and get some feedback.

A friend found this 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS just sitting in a field. I bought this car in MT, and the owners just had it sitting in the field for two years. I talked to them about it and I took it on a little drive. There was only one major flaw to the looks, surprisingly, and that was one dent at the top corner of the windshield on the driver's side. These guys replaced the clutch, but fucked up the linkage putting it back together. It would slip out of both 4th gear, and reverse. I didn't think that was too big of a problem, seeing it being the only flaw at the time. I got this car for 1000 with 161k on the odometer. It took 130 to fix the linkage and new all-season tires (being in Montana..) for 385. I bought this car in late summer, early fall and didn't really think to check if the heater worked. Winter came and guess what, the passenger side had heat and the driver's side just blew cold air. I tore into the dash to see if it was the controls, flushed my cooling system to see if there was any garbage and nothing helped. So i took it in, without a dash, (which saved me like three or four hours worth of labor pay) and turns out the heater core WAS going out, so I had to get that replaced and that was a 700 dollar job.. everything was fine and dandy. I've put about 600 of my own miles on the car after all of this was done. Also, I'm still paying off the bills.... Then, just the other day after I barely turn over 1k of my own miles, i hear a slight boom from the engine, service engine soon light comes on, and I lose A LOT of power. I'm 25 miles outta town when this happened. So i pop the hood, look and see smoke coming from the fourth cylinder's spark plug area. So i take off the coil, and it's blown to shit. I couldn't do much at that point and had no way of getting back without driving the 25miles back home, which I'm sure ruined my catalytic converter for sure. Of course, the boot to the spark plug is all tore to shit inside so i clean it all out, go out and buy new spark plugs, valve cover gasket, and a new coil for about 150. I replace all of this and get all put back together nicely and fired it up. It did decent then it lost all power again. I take the 4th plug out and it was bent up, leaving no gap, so i got a camera and looked inside the cylinder, and there was some crap in there. (Figured it was the porcelain from the last spark plug). I unplugged the injector, left the spark plug out (and obiously with that coil off, the 1st cyl didn't have spark). So i fired it up on 2 cylinders for about 10 seconds then shut it off. Took the camera back down there and it seemed to have cleared it out through the spark plug hole. I re-gap the spark plug, and decided to check my compression. I had about 120-130 in the first three cylinders and 20 in the fourth. So I think a valve chipped and that's what hit the first spark plug when the incident happened. Stupid mistake not checking inside the cylinder the first go around. Now, I have all four cylinders running smoother, but still like shit. I have a new engine on the way with 140k miles on it for 700 bucks shipped. I'm going to plop that sucker in, remove my stupid cat, and rebuild this engine all nice. AFTER i get all this shit paid off.. So with the new engine, I have about 2900 bucks put into this car with 1050 to pay off... So I'm not sure if it was a mistake buying this car yet or not, but it's pretty upsetting. Granted I'm 17 years old, and only have a job at a Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory makin' minimum wage and going to school. I don't even get 15 hours a week in, so basically, I'm not going anywhere with this build for awhile. I hope the engine I'm getting will last me until I can get this one all done up nice. So, my 2000 GS committed suicide at 162,000 Miles. The Service Engine Soon light went off for awhile after i re gapped the plug and everything, but now it's back on and I'll have to take a scanner to it tomorrow in shop class and see where I'm at... I'm guessing my cat is the problem.

So, that's my story, I doubt too many people are going to read this book, but to those of you who do, thank you for your time and I'd love some feedback!!

And the amount of money I have in this car already, I can't just get rid of it, so I've been searchin' this sight up and down finding a good way to re-build my 4G64 and make this car nice and keep it at least until I'm out of college.

Nice to be here with a bunch of other 3g owners, good luck to all of your guys' cars and Hope to post my build on here one day!

·
Manual Swapped!!
5,977 Posts
Well this should have either been in the members rides, eclipse graveyard or new members forum.

As far as if it is worth rebuilding that's up to you. You sound broke and I don't blame you (I am too, poor college student) I would get it up and running and just take care of it and have it last you a few years till your done school then sell it. From there if your hooked on eclipses, get a new one or get a better car. Good luck fixing it

·
Registered
57 Posts
IMO fix it. Also seeking employment with more hours available would help.

Take good care of the next motor and keep up with service, my 8G Galant w/ 4g64 sits at 210k running like a champ.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think I could give it good performance on the rebuild for under 2000 for the entire rebuild?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Think I could give it good performance on the rebuild for under 2000 for the entire rebuild?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
That depends on the shop and quality of work.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Almost have the "new" engine in.. I'll start a thread soon in members rides when I start tearing into the old engine. Can't wait to see the damage :noplease:

·
Shit happens...
1,514 Posts
Almost have the "new" engine in.. I'll start a thread soon in members rides when I start tearing into the old engine. Can't wait to see the damage :noplease:
I came here hoping you would be willing to part out the car because I need just one part really badly. But It's good to hear you're planning to give rebirth to your 3g. I wish you all the best with your project.:yesway:

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have a new engine on the way with 140k miles on it for 700 bucks shipped. I'm going to plop that sucker in, remove my stupid cat, and rebuild this engine all nice.
If the cat is bad, I'd replace it instead of removing it. Why remove it? "Saving the planet" for 0 horsepower sounds like a good idea to me. If cost is a factor get one from a junkyard.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I came here hoping you would be willing to part out the car because I need just one part really badly. But It's good to hear you're planning to give rebirth to your 3g. I wish you all the best with your project.:yesway:
What part? I could be planning on replacing it.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Do you really expect anyone to read that huge block of text?

wait......i know some :2011::2012: noob will.

Where is Soupboy when you need him to post. SoupBoy, cliffs??

·
Shit happens...
1,514 Posts
What part? I could be planning on replacing it.
Oh, I know for a fact you won't be replacing it. I need the engine bay harness, and you need that as well if you want your car running. But if you do go out to junkyards for parts and happen to run into a 00-02 gs. Let me know about it.

Do you really expect anyone to read that huge block of text?

wait......i know some :2011::2012: noob will.

Where is Soupboy when you need him to post. SoupBoy, cliffs??
I definitely didn't read it. It hurt my eyes. Just read the last 2 sentences. :agreed:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, I know for a fact you won't be replacing it. I need the engine bay harness, and you need that as well if you want your car running. But if you do go out to junkyards for parts and happen to run into a 00-02 gs. Let me know about it.
Will do! Might not have much luck though. There hasn't been an eclipse in the junk yards here for awhile.... Pisses me off ha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts