Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been a member for this great forum for sometime now and used it for information for my restoration project of my 2003 GTS. I was in high school when these cars came out and like them then but, life had me buying trucks and starting a business then and left no money for something like this. So here is what I am doing. Bought this car over a year ago. Thought it only needed maintenance and repainting. Come to find out after driving for 2, it stalls at a red light and back fires. After checking compression we discover the rear bank has low compression on all cylinders. This was the direct result of the person I bought the car from a broken PCV that was taped together which led to burning oil and clogging the pre cats. Thus far, I have replaced all cats, O2 sensors, all brake lines, calipers, pads, one wheel bearing, starter motor after it failed, alternator, plugs, wires, timing belt water pump, pulleys, cleaned sunroof lines, recovered headliner and sunvisors and bought some 4G wheels and new tires. I have a fresh engine waiting at my local machine shop as well has many new parts to go with it on install i.g Mishimoto radiator, new Exedy clutch, new thermostat and many others.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did run into something of concern today. I have a subframe member with a good bit of rust. This is in the rear where the rear control arms bolt to the car. What can I do for this if this part cannot be salvaged?

Attachments

·
1,122 Posts
Maybe you can get lucky at a pick-and-pull lot. If not, you'll have to get good at sheet metal working and welding and make a patch.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe you can get lucky at a pick-and-pull lot. If not, you'll have to get good at sheet metal working and welding and make a patch.
Just off this picture alone, do you think it could be saved? I have not seen any where that rust through completely, but when I qas doing thr brakes I had a few areas of light rust that I hit with a wire brush, primer with rust inhibiting primer and then sprayed with rubberized undercoating. Mitsu has discontinued this part.

·
1,122 Posts
Just off this picture alone, do you think it could be saved? I have not seen any where that rust through completely, but when I qas doing thr brakes I had a few areas of light rust that I hit with a wire brush, primer with rust inhibiting primer and then sprayed with rubberized undercoating. Mitsu has discontinued this part.
I mean, you can make anything you want if you have the patience, skill, and time. I can't tell from the picture how much its rusted through. You'll have to make the call once you remove all of the rust. If parts are too badly rusted, you might have to consider cutting them out and welding new steel in.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean, you can make anything you want if you have the patience, skill, and time. I can't tell from the picture how much its rusted through. You'll have to make the call once you remove all of the rust. If parts are too badly rusted, you might have to consider cutting them out and welding new steel in.
Sorry, that was a stupid question. This looks to be the worst of it. Factory manual shows this bolting to body. I may just look around for another.

·
Here for the drama
164 Posts
That doesn’t look that bad..
I had an outlander that looked like that but the difference was the corrosion was EVERYWHERE.
Take a pointed punch and smack it with a hammer a couple of times in the worst spot. If it goes through the metal then replace the part as needed, if not, sand down and paint with corrosion inhibitor.
P.S: Thats according to a company recall

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Project update... picked up fresh engine and have basically a spare GTS engine. Got a freshly turned flywheel also. Machine shop installed new studs for the exhaust manifolds so I will be ordering the nuts and washers for those. Will be painting exhaust manifolds this week and attempting to polish the GTS upper plenum.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice.. any future plan?
Mivec 3.8 with super charger??:D:D:D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice.. any future plan?
Mivec 3.8 with super charger??:D:D:D
No, I am keeping this close to stock as possible with exception to the cutback magnaflow exhaust. I foolishly spent money to replace the catalytic converters in hindsight I should have kept the main cat and went with headers.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if I will regret this later but, I cleaned and painted my exhaust manifolds and heat shields today and had to replace a few bolts for the heat shields. Also cleaned and painted the upper radiator brackets as mine were pretty rusty. I dont want rusty brackets holding in my Mishimoto radiator. In hindsight, I wish I would have gone with headers and eliminated the precats. The donor engine did not come with the upper heat shields for the rear manifold so, i hope the ones on my car can be reused. My front heat shield is on thr threshold of being trashed.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
No, I am keeping this close to stock as possible with exception to the cutback magnaflow exhaust. I foolishly spent money to replace the catalytic converters in hindsight I should have kept the main cat and went with headers.
What is the benefit for this? You're rather go with the header instead of magna flow exhaust?

·
1,122 Posts
What is the benefit for this? You're rather go with the header instead of magna flow exhaust?
Probably sound. Running a loud exhaust in a car you drive often sucks. Especially in these cars where there is only minimal sound deadening. It's fun at first, but then you realize your ears ring after every trip and you can't talk to your passengers without yelling. Because there is almost no performance increase associated with aftermarket exhausts on these cars, some people choose to stay with stock exhaust so they can drive their car for long periods in relative comfort.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The headers would provide better exhaust flow thus, lower back pressure than the catalytic converters. Before I knew what was wrong with my car, I spent money in replacing all of them. I liked the sound of my car with the Magnaflow system but, was concerned about the sound being too loud with headers. Come to fine out, my main cat was gutted and the pre cats were clogged. I am not too concerned about power, just sound and aesthetics. I grew up when tuner cars were big and I remember idiots putting fart cans on Honda Civics and anything else they could and it sounding horrible. Also knew of several guys that gutted their mufflers.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I am moving on to my GTS intake. I need to internally clean as it is gummed up pretty bad. I attempted to polish a few of the flutes in the plenum out of curiosity. I just polished my diamond plate tool box and it came out very nice but, this plenum is completely different. I am assuming it will need light sanding. I think painting would just be the better option. Any suggestion on polishing? And cleaning internally?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, has anyone take the allen bolts out of the GTS plenum in attempt to open it up to clean? This looks to be the best way but, I have read these intakes are non-serviceable which tells me if I take it apart I could be asking for a new boat anchor.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just soaked the plenum down in Meguires Mag Wheel cleaner. I did the same with my tool box before polishing. If this doesn't work, then painting it will be but, still need to get the dried oil out of the inside. I tried washing out with Purple Power and it hardly did anything.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts