Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Also, has anyone take the allen bolts out of the GTS plenum in attempt to open it up to clean? This looks to be the best way but, I have read these intakes are non-serviceable which tells me if I take it apart I could be asking for a new boat anchor.
The screws for the butterflies sometimes come loose and are hard to find making it "unserviceable". The

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The screws for the butterflies sometimes come loose and are hard to find making it "unserviceable". The
Thanks, I just disassembled the plenum. All the screws in the butterflies looks good. I washed the half of the plenum in some coil cleaner for HVAC coils. It got all the grease and dirt off but, took some of the shine off from polishing. This thing looks to be too much of a pain in the ass to polish. My plan now is to let it soak in dish detergent to loosen some of this oil and try to scrub with a nylon brush. This weekend I am going to paint the butterfly section red (close to a Mistu red to the best I can find) and the runner section silver.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So after soaking all day, using degreaser just cheap carb cleaner seems to working just fine. I ordered this and the clear coat to go with it. The runner section will be painted silver. I have the high temp silver for the exhaust manifolds that I am considering using with clear coat. The base finish of the exhaust manifolds came out slightly on the mat side. I want the intake to be more gloss.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well after 7 CANS of carb cleaner I finally got the upper plenum clean. Massive amounts of carbon and sticky oil. I have decided (at least for the time being) to paint the complete upper plenum the anodized red. Will paint the front valve cover anodized silver. All will be clear coated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
GTS upper plenum has had the hell cleaned out of it, painted with anodized silver paint with clear coat and reassembled. I used the grey gasket maker same as specified for the oil pan. I am assuming being Mitsu says this part is "unserviceable" that they didn't see the need in calling out a sealant for the two halves. When I disassembled it, there was what I am guessing grey gasket maker. I was going to paint the throttle body section a candy anodized red, but I think i am going to save that for the valve cover.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts