Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 GT with 80k miles.

Been mdded and brought back to stock. Problem is, in cold weather (50 and below) when I cold start my car, it turns on a dies. After about a minute of starting my car over and over, it finally decides to stay running. It kind of revs up and then drops. Like.... 2k rpm rev then quits and rpms drop to almost 0 where the battery and engine lights come on but it recovers and does it again and again for about 2 more minutes and then levels off right about 1k rpms and then runs fine from then on.

My question is, what the hell do I need to replace to make it stop?

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
Actually, check the terminals first. Make sure they are secure and clean.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
replaced te battery and cleaned the terminals

·
Relapsed.
1,811 Posts
would deffinately check the terminals i had to rev mine for 20secs ... im going to reset and let idle for 20min tommarrow.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe related? Even when the car is warm, when I stop at a light the heat gets cold. As soon as I take off it gets warm again. Doesn't happen every time but maybe 80%.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shcernsise. I read your PM and will try those things. Big list!

·
n00b hater
5,255 Posts
Maybe related? Even when the car is warm, when I stop at a light the heat gets cold. As soon as I take off it gets warm again. Doesn't happen every time but maybe 80%.
That sounds like a head gasket leak to me. You will notice that only when you have the heater on. When at a stand still, does the car idle funny also? Like it wants to die but won't? I could be wrong, but thats what it sounds like to me the minute I read this post about your heat.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
on a cold start it wants to die uness i am giving it gas. once the car is warm it runs like a champ except for the heat thing.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The heating thing reminds me of when I was driving my gf's car with low coolant. The heat was hot when I was driving but at idle it was cold. Check coolant levels as well!!! It may be time for a flush or even a new water pump or thermostat - worst case. I dont know much about those two though, only about flushing the radiator so I may definately be wrong about thermostat and pump! I just figured throwing that story out there!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
hey this did it on a former az members 01 gt. check the clamps on the rad. hoses. and the fluid levels. make sure it is full and the hoses are nice and tight

1 - 14 of 14 Posts