Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says. I'll open my hood, and my oil dipstick is out. No oil in the engine bay, no smoke, oil level is fine, no smoke, no smell, no nothing :scratch:. What the hell is this all about? (BTW I searched here and on google and couldn't figure it out.)

·
Registered
223 Posts
sounds like a personal problem :). I haven't heard that before. Is there a kink in the dipstick? I can't imagine that the engine pressure is enough that it would blow the dipstick out.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah man. Dipstick is in perfect condition. The O rings are perfect, not hard or anything, they make a good seal. I can't figure this out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A messed up O ring or melted handle is all I can think of. Considering how low into the engine the dipstick goes, I don't think anything can leak over, so it doesn't seem like it'd be too much of a problem other than the annoyance. Try getting a new dipstick and/or checking the dipstick tube for dents. Although I don't know what kind of ruff touraine (sp?) you'd have to go through to dent the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Promise nothing is wrong with the dipstick or the tube. Or the o rings. Or the oil level. :scratch:

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
Too much crank case pressure. Check/replace your PCV. Also, you might want to consider a compression or leak down test.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
This reminds me of what did to a friend years ago who had a SBC in his 68 Camaro...daddy bought him a nice car, but he didn't know anything about it, so he thought he was cool. Anyways, he had a decent lifter tap coming from the cylinder just below the oil fill hole in the valve cover. We took some Marvel Mystery Oil and put it in a mason jar (but didn't tell him what it was) and told him to follow these directions as soon as he got home from work:

1. Lift hood, remove oil cap and place upside-down on top of air cleaner.
2. Pour contents of jar into engine.
3. Close hood to first latch (not all the way.
4. In the morning, lift hood, replace oil cap, start engine, close hood.

He came back to us the next day thanking us since it fixed his problem. He asked what was in the jar, so we told him it was cherry juice...you can imagine the puzzled look on his face. Since he could see why cherry juice would have fixed his problem we explained it to him. We told him that there was a gremlin inside his engine banging around trying to get out, but couldn't find the way. Since gremlins like cherry juice, he naturally followed it to the source, up under the valve cover, and found the hole he could escape through. Since the hood wasn't latched all the way, he would have had enough room to get all the way out and be on his merry way. He didn't want to believe it, but the guy wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed so he actually accepted it, especially since we all kept straight faces.

After a few days we felt guilty so we told him what it was and explained to him that by pouring it in while the engine was hot, and allowing it to sit overnight, it helped to break up the varnish that was causing his lifter tap...it wasn't that bad, but enough to make them stick just a little bit, and that the opened hood and the oil cap on top of the air cleaner were just part of the joke. He didn't forgive us for about a month, but it was worth it...

Now, I doubt there are any gremlins pushing your dipstick up, but I figured it would be a little harder to make the joke work over the internet...

Reactions: BuckyBoy

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
This reminds me of what did to a friend years ago who had a SBC in his 68 Camaro...daddy bought him a nice car, but he didn't know anything about it, so he thought he was cool. Anyways, he had a decent lifter tap coming from the cylinder just below the oil fill hole in the valve cover. We took some Marvel Mystery Oil and put it in a mason jar (but didn't tell him what it was) and told him to follow these directions as soon as he got home from work:

1. Lift hood, remove oil cap and place upside-down on top of air cleaner.
2. Pour contents of jar into engine.
3. Close hood to first latch (not all the way.
4. In the morning, lift hood, replace oil cap, start engine, close hood.

He came back to us the next day thanking us since it fixed his problem. He asked what was in the jar, so we told him it was cherry juice...you can imagine the puzzled look on his face. Since he could see why cherry juice would have fixed his problem we explained it to him. We told him that there was a gremlin inside his engine banging around trying to get out, but couldn't find the way. Since gremlins like cherry juice, he naturally followed it to the source, up under the valve cover, and found the hole he could escape through. Since the hood wasn't latched all the way, he would have had enough room to get all the way out and be on his merry way. He didn't want to believe it, but the guy wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed so he actually accepted it, especially since we all kept straight faces.

After a few days we felt guilty so we told him what it was and explained to him that by pouring it in while the engine was hot, and allowing it to sit overnight, it helped to break up the varnish that was causing his lifter tap...it wasn't that bad, but enough to make them stick just a little bit, and that the opened hood and the oil cap on top of the air cleaner were just part of the joke. He didn't forgive us for about a month, but it was worth it...

Now, I doubt there are any gremlins pushing your dipstick up, but I figured it would be a little harder to make the joke work over the internet...
:rofl: Not sure how this reminded you of that, but nonetheless I had a good laugh.

·
n00b hater
5,255 Posts
:lol: Great, now I am going to start looking for Gremlins and stock up on cherry juice. :lmfao:

Sorry about making light of your problem. On a serious note I hope the crank case pressure is your pinpoint issue. Other than that, I am really not sure what else it could be since the o-ring and dipstick holder is fine.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Too much lube! LOL

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
Do a compression test. Pressure may be getting by your rings resulting in crank case pressure rising. This would push oil up through the dipstick port and result in the stick popping out. You would normally see oil though. A few of us have blown rings and had out dipsticks blow out of the hole. Heh heh...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
:lol: Great, now I am going to start looking for Gremlins and stock up on cherry juice. :lmfao:

Sorry about making light of your problem. On a serious note I hope the crank case pressure is your pinpoint issue. Other than that, I am really not sure what else it could be since the o-ring and dipstick holder is fine.
Yeah, it was after 3am and I couldn't sleep...it was a true story though!

Seriously, my best guess would be crank case pressure as wel...or some kind of tension built up on the dipstick that's causing it to work it's way out...:scratch:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright then. I've never done a compression test, but I know the how to is up here somewhere. I'll give that a try first. If that doesn't show anything I'll check into getting a new PCV valve. Thanks for the help guys. I don't mind the joking, it's all in fun, I still got some good answer's out of you :bigthumb:

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
If the PCV is ok and the breather tube isn't blocked, then there really isn't anything you can do. I have seen people put a slight bend in the dip stick so that it stays put. :lol:

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
A bad ring can cause it, but often the pressure is great enough to shoot out the dipstip like a missile, and you haven't reported that, so I'm going to cast my vote with the PCV camp.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts