Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
241 - 252 of 252 Posts

·
54,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
So comparing TLC, UC, and 3M rubbing compound on the buff n shine pads I got.

TLC gives some cut with a nearly perfect finish.
UC cuts more but still finishes nice.
3M rubbing compound is of course the harshest but still has a decent finish with this pad.

I used 3M to cut out some bad scratches from the trunk, I think I'll go over some areas with the 3M to cut down some deeper stuff and then finish with TLC.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Nice. I'll have to check these out. I have some scratches in my trunk lid that suspiciously look like they are from a bike rack. Also a bunch near the door handles and maybe I can smooth out some of the marks in the door dings... Fucking people...

·
54,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
TLC is nice with the dual fiber pad because you can go from cut to polish to done in one step all at once and you need more cut you just go over it again with some additional fresh compound. You can run it on a wool pad for heavy cut or a soft foam pad for a light cut depending on what you need, you can cut heavy with wool then go back over it with a foam finish pad to get it to a glassy finish, but all with one compound. Pad choice, buffer speed, and pressure change how it cuts and finishes entirely so you have to play around with it some to find what suits your needs but honestly it's pretty much idiot proof. I have very little experience with this and my first time using this compound it came out basically perfect. There were a few places I could have gone over again to get it better but it's good enough which is WAY better than it was before. I can't say enough positive things about this compound.

·
54,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
I've been watching some videos from Apex Detail on Youtube. Great channel! I learned that with a rayon cutting pad you can use meg's water spot remover to polish glass and even remove some scratches from it so I'm going to give it a go on my Mazda and maybe try to take the edges off one on my Celica driver side glass. The Mazda front glass is bad bad so any improvement is good, it's got some cracks that haven't spread so if I mess it up or anything well it needed replacement anyway!

·
54,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Wow I haven't updated this in a while.
185K on it now, have had some idling issues and then some idling issues with hesitation, finally pinned it down to a leaking fuel pressure regulator letting gas right into the intake manifold. Acceleration has also been feeling a little flat lately but really who can tell and the gas mileage was down the last couple tanks but not anything crazy given the very cold weather. I happened upon this as the probable culprit almost on accident. I was going after the idle as an issue since it idles on the lower end of normal and hunts up and down some especially when coming to a stop after coasting (gee high vacuum sucking fuel, hindsight!). I pulled the intake off to check the throttle out and in preparation to measure the throttle plate to throttle bore air gap to make sure closed throttle position is correct. I was blowing the cleaner out of the intake manifold and thought it smelled awfully gassy but chalked it up to one of the cylinders having open intake valves and some residual fuel from the recent cold start and short trip from parking lot into the shop. A bit later I was finishing up and blew the intake out again to finish drying it inside and hey it's still really gassy smelling. I pulled the vacuum hose off the FPR and voila, raw fuel in the vacuum hose. Scored a Delphi part on Amazon for $20 shipped (should be a $90 part!) that comes in on Friday. Going to cap it off and plug the vacuum line till then, running slightly higher fuel pressure is less worse than sucking unmetered fuel into the intake manifold. Hopefully that'll get my idle back to normal and if it's still not correct I can move onto the next step.

·
54,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Stupid UPS, part came Friday to work at 5:30, we close at 5:30, so I put it on today at home.
First thing I say to myself is 'I better not drop these bolts, I'll never find them back there' so I got a strong magnet on a stick to stick to the bolt as I unthreaded it and promptly dropped it behind the engine somewhere. I had another bolt that fit fine and didn't drop the other one. Got it together, washed all the spilled gas with water off the engine and trans and cycled the key a couple times then started right up nicely. Let it run till hot, no leaks, washed it off once more outside, then restarted it after it sat for a few minutes, fired right up perfectly. Turned the AC on and it about shat itself a couple times trying to figure out how to idle with the AC compressor running but it sorted itself out and seems fine again now. I guess there's some self learning it had to relearn and I'm sure my fuel trims are all funky now too. Going to test drive it over to this new grocery store and get the GF some valentines day fruit because she loves fruit.

·
54,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Ran and drove it yesterday, seems fixed. Idles better, part throttle is much much better feeling too. Might go ahead and replace the other trans mount.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
54,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
And driving into work today the temp gauge quit working, evidently I disturbed that wiring harness and connector working on it Saturday and whatever bump I hit broke the connection. 23 years of crusty copper and brass corrosion there scrubbed clean between the terminal and connector and some grease, slid it back together after fluffing up the connector tension a bit, good as new!

·
54,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
New muffler, same old Walker "it almost fits" quality. It's so quiet now I can really hear the alternator whining.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
54,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 · (Edited)
STRAIGHT PIPE BITCHES!

And it's fixed after a week of wearing earplugs while I drive. New resonator pipe came last Friday. Painted it with VHT header paint and baked the end that bolts to the muffler on the grill for the 250F and 400F parts of the 'cure' process for the paint, the 600F just isn't happening on my grill with the lid part way open. Got the pipe installed today, slathered up the welds with 600F silicone, except the one for the cat flange since it'll be over 600F regularly (probably?) and here's to hoping I don't have to do this again for the rest of the time I own the car. I'm still not happy with the Walker SoundFX muffler but it was the only part available for the car anymore. It's got a nasty tone on acceleration that I really dislike, I do wonder if maybe something is wrong inside it but it's not worth messing with warranty for since I'll probably just get the same thing with another one.

241 - 252 of 252 Posts