Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Deadly Stinger
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not even going to say what my current computer is, way too embarrassing :happysad:

Anyway, I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money. I'm trying to stay around $800 as much as possible.

Processor I'm looking at is the AMD X2 5600

Motherboard not sure which company to go with, but would like one with Crossfire ability

Video card: HD3850 as Inferno likes this one :kiss: though I will probably only get one for now

Memory: 2x2 gig DDR2-800 Dual Channel, again not sure of brand, but was looking at Corsair and was wondering if A-Data is any good

I also need recommendations on PSU, is 500w good enough, brands...Coolmax?

As for case, I still like the bling bling lights :) and think I have found a decent one, but open for suggestions .

I have all of the other components, HD, optical drive... so that is cool

So tell me what you think. I will of course be going through newegg.com, no question there.

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
I saw on slickdeals where you can get an AMD 5000 and the Call of Juarez for 108 bucks :lol:

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Ah I see, the prices on AMD processors dropped quite a bit. Intel definitely don't have anything comparable in that price range. ;)

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Newegg.com - DIAMOND 3850PE3256SB Radeon HD 3850 RV650 55nm 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-600-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 600W Power Supply 115/230 V Safety Nemko, TUV, cUL, CE, BSMI, FCC, CCC - Retail

That's ~$688, and you have a $50 MIR for the power supply, which should bring it down to $638 before shipping. I've outgrown the blingy cases, so you can use the $120 you have left to look for one you like. :) Motherboard is the best one for the AMD platform so far, and a Phenom will drop right in.

·
Deadly Stinger
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always been an AMD guy anyway :)

Do you like gigabyte boards over say ASUS, MSI, DFI?
Because I may drop down on the board a bit, as 'futureproofing' in my case is not really needed

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
I never had a problem with Gigabyte motherboard, I had one DFI that influenced me to stay away from their motherboards even to this day.

ASUS boards seem to last the longest, easy to setup and is pretty compatible with various RAM brand/speed. ASUS also does a great job of keeping their BIOS/drivers up to date, unlike ABIT, who discontinues and forgets about their boards about 4 months after its release.

My preference:

ASUS > Gigabyte > ABIT > Foxconn > MSI > Biostar

I honestly like ABIT and got the best performance out of that brand, but their boards are quirky at times and are very nitpicky about BIOS settings.

Anyways, here ya go.

Newegg.com - ASUS M2R32-MVP AM2 AMD 580X CrossFire ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

·
Deadly Stinger
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never had a problem with Gigabyte motherboard, I had one DFI that influenced me to stay away from their motherboards even to this day.

ASUS boards seem to last the longest, easy to setup and is pretty compatible with various RAM brand/speed. ASUS also does a great job of keeping their BIOS/drivers up to date, unlike ABIT, who discontinues and forgets about their boards about 4 months after its release.

My preference:

ASUS > Gigabyte > ABIT > Foxconn > MSI > Biostar

I honestly like ABIT and got the best performance out of that brand, but their boards are quirky at times and are very nitpicky about BIOS settings.

Anyways, here ya go.

Newegg.com - ASUS M2R32-MVP AM2 AMD 580X CrossFire ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
A ways back when I had looked at building a new computer, I had read reviews on ASUS boards and how good they were. The board you recommended is the one I had on my wish list ;)

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
I have a Gigabyte board right now, and I like it. My last board was an Asus, and I needed to send it in for repair, as the dual channel memoryness was crashing my machine. They took almost a month to get it back to me - Of course, I did get a new board from them, which was nice. However, it was still flaky and had many known compatibility issues. I won't be getting another Asus for awhile. Prior to that, I had the infamous Abit KT-7 RAID nightmare motherboard. I think overall, Intel mobos will have less issues than AMD, since Intel makes their own chipsets.

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
I'm tempted to get the RAM, $110 flat for a G.Skill 4GB kit is a helluva deal.

:agreed:

I am collecting pieces for my next build now, so I ordered a set. I ordered my case and 950W power supply yesterday (free shipping, and after MIR and Paypal rebate, my total cost will be about $85--much less than the full $280 retail of these two parts). No rush, as I want to use dual 8800 GT's in it, and there just aren't many of those around right now.

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
I've bought 3 Asus boards in the past 5 years and never had issues with them. 3 years warranty on them and they are willing to do advanced shipment. They take your CC number but don't charge you for it, ship you a new mobo and you send your old one back in the packaging. Even comes with pre-paid shipping :)

·
Deadly Stinger
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've bought 3 Asus boards in the past 5 years and never had issues with them. 3 years warranty on them and they are willing to do advanced shipment. They take your CC number but don't charge you for it, ship you a new mobo and you send your old one back in the packaging. Even comes with pre-paid shipping :)
good to know :twothumb:

Now to get finally approval from the 'financial advisor'

She's a tough one :happysad:

·
Deadly Stinger
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the final approval :woot:

Ordered everything today, should ship tomorrow :D

I got the A-Data memory, was on a combo with the Chip
Coolmax 500w PSU

I did add a Samsung SATA DVD burner, needed a new one so my old machine can keep using that one

Thanks for the input Inferno :wub: and every one else, also :kiss:

·
Deadly Stinger
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very nice, nothing like the smell of new computer parts. So are you putting together now or did the woman forbid you from touching it until Christmas?
I did discuss that with her before I bought it. She said I didn't have to wait.
So...I was up till almost midnight putting it together :D

It is completely built, just need to load up an OS :woot:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts