Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
I was checking underneath the car and saw leakage. It does not look like oil...
At first i thought it was valve cover gasket but I just fixed and it leaks really bad...

is it possible power steering leak??
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It definitely is a power steering leak. If you won't be able to fix it then you will have a hard time driving your car in the future.

·
V8 > 3G
2,712 Posts
It definitely is a power steering leak. If you won't be able to fix it then you will have a hard time driving your car in the future.
How can you tell from the picture? :rolleyes:

Even if you recently replaced the seal for the valve cover it could still be leaking. Might have over torqued it, under torqued it, or bent the valve cover upon removal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think i will clean up the leak.. let the car sit for a day and the whole area dry up then start it back up again to see where the leak comes from.. that will give me a better idea.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi guys....
It looks like the upper oil pan is leaking..
I know i have to drop the exhaust to have access but do i need to remove the bottom oil pan as well..
Thanks...

·
Here for the drama
151 Posts
Haven’t heard of many upper pan gaskets going bad, the FPG by three bond we use is pretty strong.. I see you were in your T-belt area recently, you didn’t happen to check your camshaft seals for leaks did you?
That’s a common area that makes it look like the upper pan is leaking. There is also an updated seal for those that goes from the old black seal to a new brown seal. Double check before you take on the project

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information Arsenic.
I'll remove the top timing belt cover and start the car up to watch for leakage at the camshaft.
(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arsenic.. you .. are .. the... man..
I start the car today without the timing belt cover and just like you said.. there is a leak.

I just can't believe that such a small leak causes oil all over the bottom of the car... besides there is the timing cover, how can oil splatter like that?🤨🤨🤨🤨

Reactions: Arsenic

·
Here for the drama
151 Posts
Oil is splashing like crazy the pressure inside is going to look for escape and that’s where it found it, add a belt spinning at various revolutions per minute and we get to where we are now. We get them here at the dealer often. Well.. used to.. I hope they’re not as hard as a rock or you’re in for some fun!! With that being said also make sure your pcv valve is working correctly! Please do me a favor and change all three seals. Cam and crank. I was like you once. Didn’t change them then had to go back in; do the job once then enjoy her without issue, then you’ll fall in love her reliability!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I will change 2 camshaft seals, 1 crankshaft seal and check the PVC valve.
The camshaft seals are not that bad.. i haven't done the crankshaft seal so not sure how difficult it will be..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it looks like the crankshaft seal has the big seal, two small O-rings and a gasket..

Besides, there are two different colors for the crankshaft seal.. one is black and the other is brown.. should i get the brown one?
Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you want some free cam seals, I have two that came with my Continental timing belt kit I didn't use. PM if you want them.

·
Here for the drama
151 Posts
If we’re talking about aftermarket. I’ve heard companies like Apex, beck/Arnley, gates, and mahle are good and rebox factory parts. Try to find a brown one, but if you can’t new is new, don’t think you’ll have a problem for a while unless you damage it during installation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys.
I can do the cam shaft seal but not sure about the crank shaft.
I don't know what the two smaller O-rings and the gasket for ..

·
Here for the drama
151 Posts
For the oil pump housing most likely, I’ve forgotten, you just need that seal though. The crank seal is the same procedure as the cam seals just lower. As always take precaution to not scratch the journals, if you want to attempt it with a tool I would recommend lisle tool #58430 it will still be a pain though if it’s as hard as a rock unfortunately

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reactions: Arsenic

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally i have some free time today and start changing the timing belt.
The gasket crumbles into pieces..

i bought 10ft of silicone cord that resistant to oil and can withstand 400 F. The diameter is .177" and it fits perfect in the slot.

The engine mount is shot. The rubber falls right off...

The crankshaft pulley was installed incorrect by the previous owner and the bottom timing belt cover took some damages...

I line up all the marks and draw a line on the timing belt so i can transfer that to the new belt.

I'll tackle both camshaft seal and crank seal tomorrow...

Reactions: buddd

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh... I've already got one from the local part store..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts