1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
The Black Knights
203 Posts
personally i'm a fan of linksys or d-link...those do the best for FiOS, or bb...if you can swing it, D-links gamer router is one of the best around, if a bit finicky with usb dongles...

N class routers are all the rage, and you get mad distance on them, when using an N dongle, you can get gigabit performance...for gaming and movies i'd use an n class router, otherwise the b/g is fine... sorry forgot about the dd-wrt, linksys has shown the most compatibility with that firmware platform

·
The Black Knights
203 Posts
You don't need an N router unless you are aiming for further distance...
yea i forgot what i was writing...gizmos are like girls it only takes one to get ya goin...still stand by linksys though:ninja2:

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't need an N router unless you are aiming for further distance...
Not really distance, but I'm aiming for connection speed and signal strength. Right now my media extender box and Blu-ray player are getting around 60-70% signal strength from the G-router upstairs in my bedroom. I'm probably getting ahead of myself anyways. I may not need it :lol:
yea i forgot what i was writing...gizmos are like girls it only takes one to get ya goin...still stand by linksys though:ninja2:
I hear ya on the Linksys ;)

·
The Black Knights
203 Posts
yea then you might want to go with n class then...the signal strength at my place from upstairs is 100% i used to have to beat the shxt outta the netgear for that...but jester is right on one thing, didn't know it did he? j/k n class will be harder to use tftp with.. one i know that can work is the wrt160n...recently had to unbrick one at my fiancees...

·
Impse
2,827 Posts
1 cooler name.
:uh:

2 It was easier to figure out how to install it IIRC.
DD-WRT is a .bin file. You just point your router to it and click update. It's not like you have to load a DVD and go through a complicated menu system. A trained, blind, retarded monkey could install it.

3 Quick google search said it was a little better(I dont recall why, I am sure both work fine)

If Google said it was a little better, then by God, it must be better.

Don't trust TE's advice.. He didn't know they sold ear buds with different length wires.
:agreed: :)

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Not really distance, but I'm aiming for connection speed and signal strength. Right now my media extender box and Blu-ray player are getting around 60-70% signal strength from the G-router upstairs in my bedroom. I'm probably getting ahead of myself anyways. I may not need it :lol:

I hear ya on the Linksys ;)
I have the same problem Marc. I have a Motorola 54g downstairs running DD-WRT as a client bridge. My Actiontec is upstairs. I'm using a pringles can parabolic antenna just to get like 60% signal strength. My XBOX is hardwired to the Motorola and I'll occasionally lose connection to Xbox live, and I don't think streaming is what it should be. I'd have to pick up TWO n routers for my situation and turn off the wifi on the actiontec but I'm too cheap for that at the moment. I wish the Craptiontec were N speed.

·
The Black Knights
203 Posts
are you guys running digital cable as well? if so MoCa will be hella expensive to obtain, however you can turn the craptiontec into a bridge and run the D-link gaming router...dgl-4500, it's on the approved vendors for xbl, and it is xbl cert'd...

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Hmm, I actually think THIS thing is the answer:

Amazon.com: Actiontec Ethernet over Coax MoCA Adapter - Single: Electronics

I knew that FiOS uses MoCa because I see my STB's in the router's network listing as being connected via Coax. So, from what I can tell, I can connect this downstairs where the cable connects to my DVR. Then I connect this adapter to my downstairs router (or direct to the xbox, whatever). The adapter has a built-in pass-through for the coax so I don't need a splitter. Then I've got hardwired, 175Mbs speed to my downstairs devices (and I can use the router as a separate access point for my wifi devices...). Score.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't trust TE's advice.. He didn't know they sold ear buds with different length wires.
:lol:

I wish the Craptiontec were N speed.
:agreed:

That Ethernet over Coax MoCA looks interesting :yesway: Too bad I have DirectTV :lol:

Powerline Ethernet Adapters are also a crap shoot. If the plugs are not on the same circuit/fuse, you won't get the advertised speeds.

Actually, I've just been thinking about the best way to run, even just ONE line of Cat5e from my attic to the basement and just terminate with a cheap gigabit switch :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
:lol:

:agreed:

That Ethernet over Coax MoCA looks interesting :yesway: Too bad I have DirectTV :lol:

Powerline Ethernet Adapters are also a crap shoot. If the plugs are not on the same circuit/fuse, you won't get the advertised speeds.

Actually, I've just been thinking about the best way to run, even just ONE line of Cat5e from my attic to the basement and just terminate with a cheap gigabit switch :lol:
Shit man, if I owned my home, I'd have gig-e drops on every wall, ceiling and closet. :lol: I'll report back on the MoCa adapter. I think its a no-brainer for me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Shit man, if I owned my home, I'd have gig-e drops on every wall, ceiling and closet. :lol: I'll report back on the MoCa adapter. I think its a no-brainer for me.
meh, kind of useless now-a-days, unless you plan on using them for your own server with multiple front ends. Wireless dominates my home now I can't really say I need a cat5 port for anything anymore. But hey, if you want gig speeds through out your home don't let me stop you. Sounds like a fun project, you'll have your cat5 when my wireless goes down...:lol:

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One of these days when I do get a free weekend, I'm going to start drilling ceilings and floors :lol: I have two closets that are on top of each other on each floor that I can run the Cat5e cable from upstairs to the basement :D
meh, kind of useless now-a-days, unless you plan on using them for your own server with multiple front ends. Wireless dominates my home now I can't really say I need a cat5 port for anything anymore. But hey, if you want gig speeds through out your home don't let me stop you. Sounds like a fun project, you'll have your cat5 when my wireless goes down...:lol:
Do you have an N network? If so, do you have Dual Band routers? I'm just trying to determine if I need it or not.

·
The Black Knights
203 Posts
Flip, dual band works wonders for users on 2.4 and 5ghz bands. So you can run the older wifi users on 2.4 and not interfere with the newer N band users on the 5ghz band. Having an N network is awesome, I do hope that adapter works out for you Damian, would be nice to have a simple fix. I hate Craptiontec..

1 - 20 of 70 Posts