·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant find it in the search button....:scratch:

The hard line, brake tube, or however else is called, for the front brakes is

3/16" right? (Which is similar to the cluth tube/line size right?) Sorry I just

want to get this clear.

(I dont have my car with me right now so I can't measure it)

Im not talking about the brake hose, which is sold aftermarket as SS Braided,

please correct me if Im wrong.

Thank you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

Also does anyone know if the brake line uses a 45 deg double flare or 37, I

think is 45 (common for automotive brake lines) but Im just not very sure,

any references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
I haven't ever worked on that part of the system, not real sure. I've done a lot of fuel stuff with replacement metal tubes but not brakes.

I just checked the OD of the metal tube coming up and out of the master cylinder ('01 GT), and it was about .185", approximately. Since 3/16 of an inch is .1875, just a tiny bit more, and knowing that 3/16" is so common for brake lines, I'm guessing that is in fact what we have. I also am pretty sure (not confident though) that this is measured by the OD, not the ID. Pretty sure brake parts are also going to be 45 "double flare" type, I think the 37 degree was more fuel oriented.

Only take any of the above as opinion, not fact! If I was working on this part of my car, I'd get that type of replacement line at the store (most auto parts stores have generic pieces like this), but I definitely wouldn't use it until I had it lined up side by side with whatever I was replacing. And... maybe have a person nearby willing to give me a ride back to the shop if it turns out to be something different.

What are you working on anyways?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks for your input, it confirms what I notice too,

Im working in getting brake components (ie plumbing) for an electric vehicle in a school project we're doing. My group is focusing on the brake aspects of it and I am getting the brake parts to mount on the frame...and I guess Im trying to tailor toward what my car has...therefore the questions.

so far I notice there's tons of info on brakes....especially brake plumbing...easy to get lost.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
I worked on the solar car project back when I was in school (U of Minnesota), we used a lot of parts that were a mish-mash from snowmobiles and 4 wheelers. Not sure what weight your car will end up being, but that may give some ideas... if nothing else, head to a dealer and have a look. Motorcycle parts may be plenty too if things are under 1000lbs or so.

I suppose this brake setup is the 2ndary one, you're using a motor regen for a primary system, and this stuff when that's not enough?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts