Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched this site and have found no How to: on this subject. I have a 2001 Eclipse GT 3.0L V6. I've read and done everything in the maintenance section on A/C charging and such I just haven't checked the relay for the compressor...but I am never that lucky for it to be a simple fix! So assuming the compressor is shot (I do not see or hear the clutch engageing for it and there was no change in the gauge pressures between the a/c being on and off) how does one go about changing the compressor, condensor core, etc.? I also have the service manual but I've see illustrations done by a five year old that are far superior haha.

Thanks in Advance,
Outatime616

P.S. I am no mechanic just very brave and not stupid.

·
54,401 Posts
you need to check at the clutch connector if you're getting power and ground, and then if not supply power and ground to verify the operation of the compressor. once thats done you need to trace in the circuit where you're not getting power from or where the ground is not coming from.

for example, just fixed my aunties AC. there was a ground not grounded to the engine block which was shared with many other things causing power to go in through the ground wire of the clutch and then ground backwards through the system! put in 3lbs from cheapy cans, supplied my own power and ground to check that the system worked, it blew cold, then worked about tracing backwards to find the problem. used a power probe3 to see that the ground wire was giving weird power readings, when I supplied ground forced it then the ABS and BRAKE lights lit up and the engine bogged down (because it was loosing an important ground). once I found the missing ground (which was labeled on the wiring diagram w/ location) and re-attached it to the engine the whole system worked perfectly and as it should work, blowing nice cold air and turning on and off properly.

throwing a compressor at the problem would have fixed nothing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man

I'll give that a whirl, oh it would be great if thats all it is. I'll report back with my findings:ninja2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts