Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought two JL audio subs model 10w6v2 each with 400 RMS watts. I am now looking into getting a rockford fosgate amp (i heard they were like the best). i am not sure how it really works with the numbers and watts so if someone can help me i can appreciate it. thanks

·
n00b hater
5,255 Posts
IMO, Rockford is junk. It's a personal preference you have to figure out as to what you want. How much do you want to pay. Obviously you went with JL subs so money can't be too much of an issue.

The topic itself has been discussed many times throughout many threads. How you want to setup your subs depends on you. What type of sound are you looking for? A little thump in the trunk or something else? You can either A.) run a mono amp to each sub giving 400 watts RMS each, no more. B.) Run them parralell with each other running off one mono amp producing 800 watts RMS. Both ways will give the subs maximum performance. One way may be more costly than the other by a little bit.

Or...

You can just give them the minimum requirements in power which is 150 watts RMS a piece, or 300 watts RMS. The JL Audio Slash V2 500/1v2 would be a great amp for those subs. You just don't want anything, no matter what brand, to overpower them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i looked at the JL audio slash v2 500 mono amp that you told me about, looks pretty nice to me.

by the way what is the difference between a mono amp and a 2 or 4 channel amp. at first i was looking for a 4 channel amp. is mono better when you have subs or something?

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Basically, mono block amps powers one thing, and something with multiple channels powers multiple things. There are many different methods you can use that will allow different stuff with different amounts of subs and speakers, but that the basics.
For your subs, you can either get a mono amp that puts out around 600 or so RMS @ 1 ohm. Or, a 2-channel amp that puts out [email protected]
Look into Kicker, JL, and Alpine. All great products.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright. But in your own opinion which company makes the best amps.

By the way if you have your car set up, how do u have it set up?

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Alright. But in your own opinion which company makes the best amps.

By the way if you have your car set up, how do u have it set up?
I like Kicker amps because they are the best output for the price in my opinion. They are underrated unlike most amps that are overrated. JL and Alpine and some others make great amps, but they are a little more pricey.

·
n00b hater
5,255 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was looking over the kicker amps and they are pretty good. probably will get two amps then. one for subs and the other for mids and highs.

guys i have a question.....

where in the car do you fit your amps. i was looking over and it seems like i'm going to need a nice spot to place them in without being noticed from outside.

·
n00b hater
5,255 Posts
i was looking over the kicker amps and they are pretty good. probably will get two amps then. one for subs and the other for mids and highs.

where in the car do you fit your amps. i was looking over and it seems like i'm going to need a nice spot to place them in without being noticed from outside.
Hope the kickers work out for you then.

Mount them on the back seats. One amp per obviously. You may need to use some spacers but this is the best place. I wish I could snap a pic of my hatch because everything is hidden especially with that top cover in the back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
556 Posts

build an amp rack, I'll post pics of mine as soon as I'm done with my system tomorrow.

·
Let it wang
962 Posts

I can build you an amp rack if that is what you are wanting. I can throw a design together tonight if you have any ideas of what you are wanting.
My site is smcustomz.com so you can check out some of my previous work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would generally recommend JL Audio amps if you have the money. They run well with the subs' odd loads. I am personally going to eventually get a 13.5" JL W7 sub. Need a new alternator first... You need to make sure you got a solid battery system to back up your subs and I would recommend Alpine, Kicker, or MTX personally with JL coming first.

I have an MTX TA92001 amp (2384w rms @ 2 ohms). This amp is fun and CLEAN. However, it is way too much power for your setup. I'd say go with a 500v2 or 1000v2 from JL. You get what you pay for bro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts