Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm replacing my shifter bushings as we speak...

I got the one that is facing sideways out and changed without a problem, now when i try to take the verticle one off it won't even budge...

I took of the codder pin and I've tried PB on it, pry bar, and everything else trying to wrench that baby off...

Is there anything like a snap ring or something I'm missing that would be holding it in place?

And if not, what can I do to get that little bugger off?

Thanks,

~Mike

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For any who read...

Well something that should have taken 20 minutes tops took over 3 hours...

It should have taken a 10mm and 12mm ratchet and some grease...

It took a pry bar, chisel, mallet, dremel, another dremel when I realized my brother had broken mine and I had to buy a new one...

A C clamp to get the stupid bushing on because the peg bent when I tried to pry it...

I ended up having to literally cut the stupid thing off, and I still can't find a reason why it wouldn't budge...

But on the bright side it is on and now it's over with haha...

~Mike

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
Several years ago, the center pin on mine rusted to the pin on the shift lever. I didn't have to cut anything off though. :lol:

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I literally cut off the rubber and clamped onto to metal part and all it would do was spin, not come off...

Left me little choice...

I'm not known for patience...

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
I literally cut off the rubber and clamped onto to metal part and all it would do was spin, not come off...

Left me little choice...

I'm not known for patience...
I had the same issue. I used my Army knife file/metal mini saw to get it out. Took me a few minutes but got the bitch out.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Ya I'm bragging, had no probs.! Also no rust to speak of!

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Ya I'm bragging, had no probs.! Also no rust to speak of!
So didi both of your bushings just pop right out or was there some trick to it? I received these brass bushings earlier this week and need to install them. I've just been waiting to see if anyone knew of a trick to get both OEM bushings out with ease. I assume its the rust that keeps the bushings from popping out of place? Maybe I'll soak mine in PB Blaster or something similar before trying this swap.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
I do recall the smaller one being a little more difficult but not what you & others are having to go through!
Biggest problem I had was temporarily losing the special cotter pin used!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts