Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have a 2000 RS only mod on the engine was the SRI intake. recently I been having stalling problem. it happens when the car warms up. then it throw a P0340 code and I brought it to the shop and had the sensor replaced. also replaced a new battery since the old one was really old. but the car still stalls. it can stall at idle when the car is warmed up. and when it's cold it stalls when i come to a stop. i also replaced PCV since someone on this forum replaced it and it got better. but it didn't help. it still stalls out. if i turn off the fan or ac, the car stalls immediately. i probably reset the ECU like 10 times already. still didn't help. also it hasn't been throwing any codes since i changed the Sensor. HELP PLEASE!! THANK You:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I see you "reset the ECU". Did you let the car idle afterwards for 10-15mins to let it relearn the proper idle RPMS? Also, have you sprayed carb cleaner around the manifold, intake couplers, and vac hoses to verify there is no vac leak? If you spray (with engine running) and the idle changes then you have found the vac leak.

Verify that your MAS harness is facing the passenger side and not the driver side. If it is facing the driver side then you have the MAS on backwards.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the idle but didn't check the vac leak, i might have to do that. how about the MAS? can someone show me a picture of it correctly installed? i thought it only fits one way.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The side that you have to put the MAS adapter on goes toward the filter. Also, try cleaning your throttle body and IAC with Carb cleaner and an old toothbrush. After reading your first post closely, Try cleaning the TB and Idle Valve First. That should fix it.

·
SpYdErGtS
25 Posts
once you find out why it was stalling i would like a little information on what it was.. someone stole the cone airfilter and adapter for the mas sensor when they test drove it, when i threw a new one on it quit stalling but the rps still go up and down about 100rpm at idle i was having the same issues as you were it just doesnt stall now with the filter on.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
once you find out why it was stalling i would like a little information on what it was.. someone stole the cone airfilter and adapter for the mas sensor when they test drove it, when i threw a new one on it quit stalling but the rps still go up and down about 100rpm at idle i was having the same issues as you were it just doesnt stall now with the filter on.
Did you remember to plug the MAS wiring harness back in? Did you try resetting the ECU then relearning idle?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
disconnect battery for 15mins. (resets the oem ECU)
reconnect batt.
start car.
let it idle for 15mins with the stereo/headlights/etc turned off. (this lets the ECU learn and readjust for the sensor readings it is getting @ idle)
done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi guys, today my mech called me up, and say that he test drived it and say that he couldn't figure out what's wrong with it, because the car is throwing no codes. he say chances are my intake is sitting so low, it's sucking up moisture or some crap that screw with my MAF, but he doesn't want to just replace the MAF and find out it's not it. so he's cutting tubes to make my CAI into a SRI. i am actually thinking to get a MAF replacement, anyone know anyone that's selling one for good price? i am tempted to buy a used one on ebay since it's crazy cheap....suggestions?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Sounds like a waste of time to me. If the MAF was bad it would throw an SES code. If he really thinks it is the MAF then have him clean the MAF probe with electronics cleaner (spray on, let dry off, do not touch the actual probe). Worth a shot before he hacks up your intake. Also, have you checked for vacuum leaks using a can of carb cleaner yet? Used MAFs usually go for $50-150 here in the FS section. New ones cost about $500 I think. I cleaned my MAF probe awhile back after it had gotten pretty dusty (my cone filter came off due to an oversight on my part). Cleaning took 2 minutes and I was back on the road and running fine.

CHECK FOR VAC LEAKS. I have nothing to add until that has been done.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
he test drived it and say that he couldn't figure out what's wrong with it, because the car is throwing no codes.
the mech says that if there is a vac leak it would have throw a code
:dunno: Seeing it takes all of 2 minutes and $1 in carb cleaner to check for and source a vac leak I would tell him to check anyway (or rather I would check it myself). Couldn't hurt, especially seeing has no idea what is causing the problem. I could see a small vac leak taking awhile to trip the SES, esecially if the car is not being driven much due to the stalling issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
checked it no vac leak, the mech think it's a faulty IAC, but it's not throwing codes so he don't want to risk it to order one. what do you guys think

·
SpYdErGtS
25 Posts
i would say unplug the mas air flow sensor so it runs when you take of the intake, take off the intake tube and take that carb cleaner that you bought and spray it in the intake while someone else is in it reving it up because it will want to stall. after u have done that a little hook everythign back up and reset the computer and see how it runs... i did that to my old dodge when it was stalling wit the 160,000 miles on it and that fixed it right up.the injectors were getting bad...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dude, that's not the way to clean injectors. You'll start throwing all kinds of codes. If you want to clean the injectors, run a bottle of seafoam through with a full tank of gas.

·
SpYdErGtS
25 Posts
i did that to my firebird and my dodge never hurt a thing. it seams like the wrong way to do it to my but my freinds a big car nut and he did it to my firebird and when it worked. i was surprised myself and did it anytime my injectors were messed up. but anyhow he may have some dirt in an injector, so i would try putting injector clener in it atleast a couple times and see how it works out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, i happen to run into a junk yard last week and decided you know.. what the hell take some parts to fit see if that fix the problem, bingo. it was the MAF that's screwed up..funny how that's screw up but throws no code...so people who had the same problem with me. shorten your CIA to SRI, and replace your MAF it'll fix it like it never happened before.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts