Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2k1 GT @ 8psi
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like my last post got deleted or my computers just being retarded. Any ways the problem was that after i am in full boost and i let off the accelerator or push in the clutch i can't hear the BOV. I have listened to many sound clips to hear what it should sound like. My buddy and I have looked all over for info on how to hook it up and still cant figure it out. A shop actually installed this whole turbo in my 01 gt, but i dont think it is working correctly. Any help would be great!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Is the vacuum line hooked up correctly. The vacuum line has to be connected to a spot that is after the throttle body. Make sure all the connections on that are tight and where they are supposed to be.

When the throttle plate closes, vacuum is created in the plenum instead of boost. This vacuum actually sucks the diaphram towards the top of the BOV and allows air to pass through the BOV and into the atmosphere or back into your intake, depending on your setup.

·
2k1 GT @ 8psi
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No mine is not recirculated like that. It is just connected to the one pipe out of the manifold and the part where it blows off is facing in between the headlight and battery. Its not the sound im worried about its that it should make some sort of noise to reassure that it is working correctly.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have the turbo xs BOV and if I let build up 7-8 psi before letting off the gas you can hear it about 100 yards away. Loud BOV > *

·
Registered
648 Posts
the greddy jsut whooshes. If you tighten it up it will make a ping type sound even when recirulated.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
thoma16 said:
Seems like my last post got deleted or my computers just being retarded. Any ways the problem was that after i am in full boost and i let off the accelerator or push in the clutch i can't hear the BOV. I have listened to many sound clips to hear what it should sound like. My buddy and I have looked all over for info on how to hook it up and still cant figure it out. A shop actually installed this whole turbo in my 01 gt, but i dont think it is working correctly. Any help would be great!!
If you idle the car, go to the engine bay, rev your engine with your hand over the BOV what does it feel like? Do you get a big *woosh* of air? Also, when it is idling can you feel air trying to get sucked into it?

Also be VERY careful with your set screw and loosen the lock nut before fooling with the set screw otherwise you will break it and life will suck for you.

Do you have a smooth idle?

Try not to overthink this whole thing as a BOV is a very simplistic device meant to relieve pressure between the compressor housing & the throttle body to help preserve your turbo.

What kit is this that you are using?

·
2k1 GT @ 8psi
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When i put my hand by it i cant feel any thing at all. I had my buddy put his hand on it and then i revved it up and he said it did nothing. My car doesnt idle smooth right away. Usually once it is running for a little bit it smooths out. That may have something to do with it running to rich or something because i can have it idle and see black oily spots on the ground behind the muffler. I believe that this kit was custom made using the GT35R BB turbo and greddy type s BOV. I bought the car from texas which is where all this stuff was done by the previous owner.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
thoma16 said:
When i put my hand by it i cant feel any thing at all. I had my buddy put his hand on it and then i revved it up and he said it did nothing. My car doesnt idle smooth right away. Usually once it is running for a little bit it smooths out. That may have something to do with it running to rich or something because i can have it idle and see black oily spots on the ground behind the muffler. I believe that this kit was custom made using the GT35R BB turbo and greddy type s BOV. I bought the car from texas which is where all this stuff was done by the previous owner.
What vacuum line are you using on the BOV? There are two, have you tried using the other one. It simply sounds like the BOV is either broken in some way or the vacuum system you are using is wrong. Where is the BOV vacuum tapped off of?

·
2k1 GT @ 8psi
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trying to think right now.... i believe the lower hose on the BOV goes to the wastegate. Then there is one hose that is a little higher up that is tapped about 6 inches from the intake. I will take pictures and post.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
thoma16 said:
Trying to think right now.... i believe the lower hose on the BOV goes to the wastegate. Then there is one hose that is a little higher up that is tapped about 6 inches from the intake. I will take pictures and post.
I doubt you are pushing enough boost to worry about the other fitting on the BOV. Simply connect a vacuum hose from the top valve of the BOV to your existing vacuum setup which is probably tapped into your stock FPR vacuum hose. Remove the hose from the BOV to the wastegate as we are unsure of exactly how that works but you don't need to worry abotu that until your over 14.7psi anyways (wastegate venting etc.). Look very closely at the picture "Rulez" posted above. If you have any questions let me know and I can talk you through this over the phone.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Rulez said:
The TurboXS RFL is the loudest BOV known to man.
my buddy has that on his 3000gt and it sounds like a school bus. That is a sick ass BOV but its too loud for our pussy turboed eclipses ;)

·
2k1 GT @ 8psi
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes the car is black and it had red sparcos and a blitz front bumper!! lol Ya i think we are talkin the same one. The guy said he knew a lot of you guys on here. If u know his name on here let me know!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts