Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first time posting on thi site, but I really need some help. I was driving the other day when I noticed my car over heating followed by a horrible grinding sound coming from my engine bay. Shortly after my car completely overheated and died, so I popped the good to see what was goin on. My coolant was bubbling, and my reservoir has started to melt. I went out and bought a thermostat, coolant temp sensor, water pump, drive and serpentine belts. I have no idea how to install any of it. I don't know where the thermostat is, how to loosen the belts, or where the Cts is. Sorry if I sound stupid but any help would be appreciated.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
You will need to see a mechanic. God only knows what the grinding sound was but I would GUESS water pump and that is not an easy install. Your cooling system is obviously toast so I would have the car towed.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of stuff that you bought. I'm guessing you panicked. I would go with what the other two members said. Get it towed to a Mechanic and have them look.

However, my big question.....have you checked your oil level and when was the last time you got your oil changed?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I should have explained my situation further. My belts were squeeking that's why I bought them, and my check engine light came on and my OBD2 told me it was my coolant temp sensor. The grinding sound I am just guessing is my water pump because it sounds like it, I was just wondering if anybody could tell me where to find the coolant sensor

·
Manual Swapped!!
5,977 Posts
Your car overheating to the point the resivior melted did god knows what to the engine, the engine causing the coolant to heat to that point is from god knows what problem. It is a cycle of bad stuff and the point it's at now is beyond learning to tinker with your own car. It the water bump did break and cause the grinding where did the pieces end up? You see where this is going?

Get it towed, get a legit mech to look at it. Have a list of when the last time the PM work was done so he knows how old the stuff is. Last oil change, last coolant flush, last timeing belt, last spark plugs wires and coils/distributor, last trans fluid service. All of that surf is relevant to what could have caused this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys. the diagram actually helped a lot. I got my thermostat and temp sensor in. new water pump stopped the grinding sound and my car seems to be running fine now. I have an 03 GS by the way. yeah, sorry its not a GT :( but i promise if my car starts to have the same problems, i WILL go to a mechanic because i am out of ideas. but so far so good

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys. the diagram actually helped a lot. I got my thermostat and temp sensor in. new water pump stopped the grinding sound and my car seems to be running fine now. I have an 03 GS by the way. yeah, sorry its not a GT :( but i promise if my car starts to have the same problems, i WILL go to a mechanic because i am out of ideas. but so far so good

·
Lurker
825 Posts
I would still take it to a mechanic to make sure you fixed it right and to check if there are any other existing problems. Good job on fixing what you did so far! :yesway:

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
this is like a key to the entire forum, otherwise known as a "teach a man to fish" moment-- go to google, and type "site: club3g.com [space] then enter whatever question you've got". there's a 99.9% chance that whatever your question/problem/idea, there is a tutorial/how-to, solution, alternative, or suggestion that answers it. the eclipse has been butchered, hacked, modded, and tweaked in just about any way possible in the last 12 years, and you have the awesome benefit of not having to struggle through figuring any of it out.

for how to burp a cooling system:
Let me google that for you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.