Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a white 2001 Eclipse GT and was looking to add a few upgrades to help with performance. Everything performance-wise now is pretty much stock. I am on a budget
These three additions are what I had in mind for now:

K&N Typhoon Complete CAI

Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler (want to change out whole exhaust when I have the money)

Megan Racing Lowering Springs (2 inches)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
113 Posts
the k&n cai isnt bad, you can find the aem one cheaper though, either get a custom exhuast or save up for a nice cat-back... if your gonna change the springs, change the shocks while your at it i recommend kyb agx's and a set of good springs cost wise about $600, you can pick up a set of megan coilovers for around $900...
what plans do you have in mind for your car? like more for show or more for go? what area are you in?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I didn't have any thoughts towards performance and put on 4 new Monroe Sensa-Trac struts about 6 months ago. The stock ones were all shot when I got the car then. You think those will work alright with the springs?
As far as the muffler goes, I was thinking I can put that on now and when I have the money I can cut it and put the new exhaust on.
I think I'm going for a little of both really. Show and go.
I'm in NC.

·
Eclipse GS
300 Posts
i would say no muffler, just hold off till you get the whole new exhaust, like he said either custom or good cat back. these cars lowered is always a great look. need some headlights, sonars are good. maybe some new tails to (tyc is very popular). maybe think about installing a grille

·
Eclipse GS
300 Posts
and just a heads up you are asking very basic questions. be sure to search to FAQ and use the search bar, most things have been talked about, and if you look at members rides you can see some upgrades they used

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and just a heads up you are asking very basic questions. be sure to search to FAQ and use the search bar, most things have been talked about, and if you look at members rides you can see some upgrades they used
CAI's have been discussed alot, but I looked around and didn't see much about Flowmaster mufflers or Megan springs. So I figured I'd start the thread.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i would say no muffler, just hold off till you get the whole new exhaust, like he said either custom or good cat back. these cars lowered is always a great look. need some headlights, sonars are good. maybe some new tails to (tyc is very popular). maybe think about installing a grille
I do want some sonars eventually but kinda just going piece by piece right now. The headlights I have are in almost perfect condition so I figured I'd leave them for now. When I change those out, probably will get the tyc tail lights as well.
As far as the grille goes, I actually like most 3g's with that front spot open. With the right fogs anyways. But that's just my preference.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm going to go with either H-Techs or S-Techs and put them on the Monroe struts. The Tein site says they are built for OE or OE replacement struts. I'm going to call them in the morning to make sure though.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The h techs lower 1 inch around and do pair well with oem quality struts bc of their soft spring rate, but I wouldnt pair the s techs with anything other than agx struts, the oem struts wont last long with springs like that

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The h techs lower 1 inch around and do pair well with oem quality struts bc of their soft spring rate, but I wouldnt pair the s techs with anything other than agx struts, the oem struts wont last long with springs like that
But will one inch really make any kind of a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
589 Posts
It makes a noticeable difference, it drops an inch.... but the s techs will make a more noticeable difference, others that may not be familiar enough with the 3g might not notice a one inch drop

·
Registered
34 Posts
I definitely agree, never go with just a muffler, save the money for a good cat-back. Also, not a bad idea to get an intake and look into some headers like I am doing, good luck though, you'll need it.. Also, if you get it lowered wheels always compliment it. I prefer 18s to really fill in that monstrous wheel gap that all of us Eclipse owners know about :facepalm:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I definitely agree, never go with just a muffler, save the money for a good cat-back. Also, not a bad idea to get an intake and look into some headers like I am doing, good luck though, you'll need it.. Also, if you get it lowered wheels always compliment it. I prefer 18s to really fill in that monstrous wheel gap that all of us Eclipse owners know about :facepalm:
I actually did get just the muffler. Sounds GREAT. Flowmaster Super 44.
I realize it adds virtually no performance. But hey, $80 vs. $495 (Magnaflow catback).
Put the K&N intake in and very happy with that as well.
Definitely want some 18s when I can afford them. What do y'all think about solid black (no crome lip) for a white Eclipse?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I actually did get just the muffler. Sounds GREAT. Flowmaster Super 44.
I realize it adds virtually no performance. But hey, $80 vs. $495 (Magnaflow catback).
Put the K&N intake in and very happy with that as well.
Definitely want some 18s when I can afford them. What do y'all think about solid black (no crome lip) for a white Eclipse?
Personally I think sometimes they look alright. But when you run into the problem of the wheels blending right in with the black tire it can look kind of ugly at times. I've been struggling with the same thing, what wheels to buy! I've actually thought about some bronze wheels, they look pretty good on white.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally I think sometimes they look alright. But when you run into the problem of the wheels blending right in with the black tire it can look kind of ugly at times. I've been struggling with the same thing, what wheels to buy! I've actually thought about some bronze wheels, they look pretty good on white.
Ok cool

1 - 17 of 17 Posts