Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to peice together a parts list for evo brembo brake swap for my rs
so far im gunna need front and rear brembo calipers and rotors but where i need help is currently i have drums in the back and wondering what parts ineed to make the back calipers to bolt on? I'm gunna get SS brake lines but will i need a mounting bracket and ebrake assembly. Wont need the back plate rite because it would just have to be cut off for the brembos to fit?

·
Stock N Slow...
163 Posts
I would think you'd need the backing plate. Where else would the caliper bracket bolt to?

Just grab a set of disc brake backing plates. There are many threads on the subject. Then you can modify to your heart's content.

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
Do a search, i know the topic has been covered in a few threads within the past few days, from the general consensus yes the dust shield has to be modified, and you need everything that comes off the evo, calipers, bolts, rotors, pins, pads, and might as well do the lines because you have to bleed the system anyways.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I would think you'd need the backing plate. Where else would the caliper bracket bolt to?

Just grab a set of disc brake backing plates. There are many threads on the subject. Then you can modify to your heart's content.
Do a search, i know the topic has been covered in a few threads within the past few days, from the general consensus yes the dust shield has to be modified, and you need everything that comes off the evo, calipers, bolts, rotors, pins, pads, and might as well do the lines because you have to bleed the system anyways.
This is exactly the reason he was asking...because too many people that don't know give out wrong information. You do not need everything off of an Evo, and you need more than just a set of backing plates. If you're unsure of the answer to a technical question like this, especially when dealing with the brake system, don't answer...let someone who does know the answer come forward...:wallbash:

Now, as IAmTheSTIG did mention, many people have discussed it...what I'd recommend is to find one of the reputable guys who's running the Evo Brembos and send them a PM...I'm sure most people would be more than happy to answer a PM to help someone out rather than have this get out of control...once you get an answer though, post back in here with the list to share with the community...unless one of them beats you to it or the mods close this thread if it gets out of control...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked a member who has brembo on hhis car and was told this....
First you will need to get rid of the drums & convert to disc........
Then you can convert to the Brembo's.

You will also need to cut away the backing plates on the rear other wise the larger brembo type rotors will not fit!
Also the brembo's come with the longer retaining bolts, you must use those as the OEM ones are too short!

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
I asked a member who has brembo on hhis car and was told this....
First you will need to get rid of the drums & convert to disc........
Then you can convert to the Brembo's.

You will also need to cut away the backing plates on the rear other wise the larger brembo type rotors will not fit!
Also the brembo's come with the longer retaining bolts, you must use those as the OEM ones are too short!
That was me!

I've done the whole Brembo thing, other than converting drums to disc's!
Logic would dictate that you will need disc. hubs in order for any/ Brembo's to work!
Are you looking for an easier way out or what? Your obviously looking for confirmation on what to do & I just gave you that info but it doesn't seem good enough, you need additional confirmation, which is ok, I guess?
I only speak the truth! :)
Again I certainly hope this helps; if you have other questions just ask!

·
Banned
4,408 Posts
stock 4cyl hubs are same as the GT hubs. the rear disc swap will need need new brake lines being the drum ones are differnt. I reccomend picking up a set of SS braided ones from ebay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i got 17s if they dont fit ill jsut get spacers im just kmore confused about like when i take the drums off what will i have left do i jsut slid the rotors on or do i need a hub or is it jsut rotors then the calipers new brake line e brake on and your good or is there something from the swap i would need

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
i got 17s if they dont fit ill jsut get spacers im just kmore confused about like when i take the drums off what will i have left do i jsut slid the rotors on or do i need a hub or is it jsut rotors then the calipers new brake line e brake on and your good or is there something from the swap i would need
You do not need the hub. Just like you said, you need brake lines, backing plate/ebrake assembley (with dust shields removed), evo rear rotors and calipers, and of course pads and hardware.

Just follow the how to for the drum to disc conversion for a guide. Good luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
So you need the rear Evo calipers, pads, rotors, mounts, backing plates from a GT, and SS brake lines for an Evo? Is that all?

And what about the E-brake assembly? Does the stock GS/RS E-brake not mount up? What do you need for that?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So you need the rear Evo calipers, pads, rotors, mounts, backing plates from a GT, and SS brake lines for an Evo? Is that all?

And what about the E-brake assembly? Does the stock GS/RS E-brake not mount up? What do you need for that?
Or is it backing plates for an Evo?
Well, I'm glad to see your questions getting more specific...it's a great step in the right direction. The only Evo parts needed for the rears are the calipers, rotors, and pads. The backing plates w/e-brake shoes & hardware and brake lines (hoses) need to come from an Eclipse GT. The hubs don't have to be changed. As for the e-brake cables, they require slight modification that is detailed in quite a few of the threads that discuss a basic drum to disc conversion...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've already read the "How to: Convert disc to drum" and I don't remember it mentioning anything about modifying the e-brake cables? Maybe I'm wrong.

So...the rears worked out. Onto the front I need Evo calipers, rotors, pads, and the rest comes from the GT. Correct?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I've already read the "How to: Convert disc to drum" and I don't remember it mentioning anything about modifying the e-brake cables? Maybe I'm wrong.

So...the rears worked out. Onto the front I need Evo calipers, rotors, pads, and the rest comes from the GT. Correct?
Read the threads about the rear conversion again...you have to slightly grind the ebrake cable down some to fit in the GT backing plate.

You don't need anything from a GT for the front...all you need are Evo calipers, rotors, and pads...that's it.

Again, don't rush this...I know you're excited about this, but take your time and learn about this before you jump right into it. Also, is there a reason you need that much stopping power, or are you just doing it for looks? Just because you'll be making more power doesn't mean you need more brakes...are you going to actually be racing the car and pushing the braking system beyond it's limits?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm upgrading because I AutoX and Time Attack the hell out of her. That's why I'm building my motor. Long story short...oil pump went out and locked up the bottom end. That's not even mentioning what happened to the head! So I decided while I had the motor out, I'd have them build it to what I had planned for it in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts