Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 v6 spyder gt 5 speed i just put a new 2 stage clutch in put it all back together and it shifts fine when the motor is off. but when i start it it wants to take off. the flywheel on the new one is pretty thick and the stock one is very thin could that be the problem? please help.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm convinced these cars are possessed. I have a similar problem which I just noticed recently while changing my power steering fluid. I had my car up on front jack stands, its a MT, but the front driver's side wheel (and only that wheel, not both) started spinning WHILE IN NEUTRAL!!! WTF!!!
Any ideas? Exorcism rituals???

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
713 Posts
Clutch pedal shouldnt need to be adjusted.

Make sure the slave cylinder (Hydraulic part that pushes on the release fork) is moving the full amount.
Its also likely that something wasnt assembled correctly at the clutch plate.
May I ask what do we do if this hydraulic part is not moving the full amount ?

·
Low and Slow.
1,876 Posts
I'm convinced these cars are possessed. I have a similar problem which I just noticed recently while changing my power steering fluid. I had my car up on front jack stands, its a MT, but the front driver's side wheel (and only that wheel, not both) started spinning WHILE IN NEUTRAL!!! WTF!!!
It will do that, especially if the fluid is cold and thicker than if it were warmed up. The brake pedal would stop the wheel from moving and you wouldnt have to push the clutch in, and it wouldnt stall. If I start my car, then release the clutch with it in neutral I can feel it want to go forward but the weight of the car stops it.

My ATV does this, and my sportbike did this. Made cleaning the chain somewhat safer since the wheel would stop if the brush got in the sprocket and chain. Start it up, leave in neutral and watch it go. Once warm it would stop though.

·
Low and Slow.
1,876 Posts
May I ask what do we do if this hydraulic part is not moving the full amount ?
Its more than likely the slave cylinder needs replaced. In this case, I'm betting with the new, tighter pressure plate the seals in the slave cylinder are letting fluid past, and the system isn't strong enough to fully compress it. You can try to pump the clutch pedal a few times and this might temporarily build enough pressure to put into gear, but would slowly bleed off and the car would start to move forward.

Slave cylinders are cheap and easy to replace. Its right up front on the transmission.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2002 v6 Spyder gt 5 speed, I just put a new 2 stage clutch in, put it all back together, and it shifts fine when the motor is off. But when I start it wants to take off. The flywheel on the new one is pretty thick and the stock one is very thin, could that be the problem? Please help.
Did you put in a new throw out bearing and check the clutch fork to make sure it was not bent? Did you bleed the clutch cylinder and then adjust the clutch? I have to bleed the clutch cylinder three or four times manually and then pump it up for good pressure on the pressure plates. Was the car always a 5-speed, because some individuals make an automatic into a manual car without taking out the pilot bearing, which is put in for automatic transmission. This cost me four clutches and a lot of horsepower. Was the flywheel free of being warped, or did you have it resurfaced for the pressure plates to rest correctly?

Was the new flywheel made for that year of vehicle because it should have been the same width as the old one and yes this could cause issue when trying to disengage or engage the clutch pack while putting pressure on the pressure plate to shift, due to not enough room for the clutches to disengage.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
713 Posts
Unfortunately, sometimes websites advertise they have the parts you need, only to find out they don't.... I ordered a body kit for my 01 Spyder GT that cost me $900.00 after taxes and shipping. The only part of that kit that I could install was the front lip. The side skirts and rear bumper lip have no provision to install the body clips that are on the originals. So the kit sits on my balcony to frustrate me every time I see it. Here is a guide of how that 2 stage is to be installed… From what I have read, you may have over greased the spline, and it is covering the friction plate, allowing it to slip…
https://www.carid.com/videosglobal/...ion-clutch-transmission-preparation_1080p.mp4

·
Low and Slow.
1,876 Posts
I'm beginning to think the flywheel is just the wrong one they sent me from Amazon idiots it even says for my car
There are too many websites that cater specifically to vehicles for you to go a website that has everything under the sun and blame them for a wrong part. Go somewhere that focuses solely on car parts, especially a part that is so involved to replace if wrong.

Also, why replace a flywheel when they are $40 to get resurfaced? Plus, who doesnt match up a replacement part with the one its replacing to ensure a good match before installation?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Me yesterday 😂😂
I believe my output axle shaft is leaking though so maybe transmission's tryna do its own thing, happens when car is warm or cold & takes significant force to stop the wheel

·
Registered
272 Posts
The new flywheel is very thick and it does say it's for my car when I bought it from Amazon as for the originals very thin
Just to share a bit of advice from my research, I considering going with a racing type clutch however from what I have read the clutch fork is known to break with higher rated pressure plates. For this reason, I decided to going with a OEM equal. I believe the clutch forks are discontinued. I am installing a new clutch now but I picked up a old/new stock fork to replace mine while the tranny is out.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
713 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are too many websites that cater specifically to vehicles for you to go a website that has everything under the sun and blame them for a wrong part. Go somewhere that focuses solely on car parts, especially a part that is so involved to replace if wrong.

Also, why replace a flywheel when they are $40 to get resurfaced? Plus, who doesnt match up a replacement part with the one its replacing to ensure a good match before installation?
I replace the flywheel too because I just believe in getting all new parts all together plus plus I really don't have a clue about that kind of stuff I just know I need a new clutch and I thought I'd put an upgrade in it by putting a stage 2 so I sent that whole setback now what do you recommend I buy thank you

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
713 Posts
@Lauraspyder you can get what you need from Rockauto.com.. I have taken the liberty to open the page to where you can shop for those parts..
Again I will ask you to please add more information about your self and your ride.. You been around awhile so you should know better.. Just askin..it will help us help you in future.. Thank you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts