Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so as i said i just bought a 2003 eclipse gt and i had a few quick questions. ive had the car for about 2 weeks now and no problems really. one thing ive noticed is after a few days of driving it i started hearing this vibration kind of noise coming from the drivers side. One guy told me it was some kind of tranny leak, he test drove it and said the tranny and clutch were mint. which brought up his second opinion, he thinks the vibration is some kind of heat shield somewhere. the vibration stops as soon as you push the clutch in though. and another guy thinks its the throw out bearing. which is it? whether its the bearing or a heat shield, its nothing to worry about just annoying.

and second, which cold air/short ram intake does everyboyd use/like? im aware they already pretty much come stock with one but theyre still toned down a bit and have restrictors. i cant get a true cold air and throw the filter down in front of the tire because i live in maine. im thinking an AEM short ram. AEM claims their intakes do not throw any check engine lights, which is important to me. thanks guys

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Intakes add sound on a stock motor, nothing really power related. That said on the V6 the sound they earn is worth the money to most people.

The vibration sounds like a throw out bearing to me. It is rare that they don't rattle. When you push in the clutch is puts tension on it so it stops bouncing around and becomes silent. However if you're actually feeling a vibration there might be a bigger issue with it.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Actually it would be the intake note. :lol:

Little known (random) fact, exhaust is only part of the sound your engine makes. If you drowned out the exhaust entirely you would still hear the intake quite clearly. In fact that's where V6's get their "V6 sound" from is the intake. The exhaust is a positive pressure pulsation that you hear and the intake is a vacuum pulsation. They produce very different sounds but since they are connected directly through the processes in the combustion cycle they work together to create the overall sound that reaches your ears.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Intakes add sound on a stock motor, nothing really power related. That said on the V6 the sound they earn is worth the money to most people.

The vibration sounds like a throw out bearing to me. It is rare that they don't rattle. When you push in the clutch is puts tension on it so it stops bouncing around and becomes silent. However if you're actually feeling a vibration there might be a bigger issue with it.
Im not actually feeling a vibration it just sounds like either a vibration or like you said a rattling. Extremely annoying! especially since this is my first manual transmission car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.