Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pandora
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLFUuXOgR8k

So I have been working on installing a 6g74 in my 2002 eclipse gt and i ended up removing and installing the transmission 6 times due to the pump failing and eventually breaking. Now the pump is fully replaced with new gears and gaskets. The Torque converter is fully seated and fully bolted to the transfer plate. The engine cranks and idles perfect. However when i put the car in drive (the car is in jacks) the wheels start to rotate at a good speed (maybe too fast even) and then it slows down or siezes spinning for a second. I watched the heads up display and the rpms read at 800 and stays steady. whenever it catches or slows the picture of a car with the wheels doing a S lights up for the split second. I checked under the car to see if there was any play in the axels or if there was a bend... but everything looks good except that it does not make a full good rotation on the axels. It may just be my eyes but it looks like the driver side slows\siezes less than the passenger side. Im guessing (being a engineer) The passenger axel is either damaged, the torque converter got damaged, a problem with hydrollic pressure, a sensor on the ABS\TCL, or the differential (although im 95% sure the differential is fine)

I am borrowing a scan tool to use today after work so i can see if i can nab any codes. Any sujestions or help would be awesome. This is my damb daily driver and i have 2 kids. This has taken wayyy too much time and money. Im so close to having all the kinks worked out. (this is the last issue)

·
Pandora
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I test drove the car to and from work today. The motor mount bolt being smaller than the prothane sleeve is causing some problems ontop of the fact that i am 90% sure that the axel has a issue. They are old and have taken multiple beatings from me removing and installing them over the years... and sitting in the garage. I remember just before i put them back in the bearing housing by the passenger side bracket bent on one side... and i spent a hour reshaping and test spinning it till i didnt feel any resistance. however its just sticking in my head that its doing the same thing or so it seems. so im going to figure out what size bolt i need to use in the front and rear prothane motor mounts and pickup newish axels from the yard.

The car rattles a slight bit during idle in gear after the test drive. im fairly sure i have settled the engine and the motor mounts have reseated and need tightening ontop of getting rid of slack on the rear mount. I can hear the pin rattle in the rear mount sleeve on occasion. i can also feel a slight resistance in acceleration at slow speeds and its accompanied with a obvious metal on metal rubbing sound on occasion. which further adds to my thought that the housing on the passenger bracket is still bent on one side or the axels are just damaged.

Sorry if it seemed like i repeated myself. Im super tired. Im going to search the threads for more answers. Dont get me wrong. The Car Runs uuuuber nice. So much better than it did before. Im just picky with minor sounds and problems with a road trip to LA coming up fast. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts