Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so i noticed that my passenger caliper was sticking, i took it apart and found that the rotor had a crack, i am guessing it was due driving with the stuck caliper.
I replaced the caliper, the rotor and break pads, but somehow the caliper is not retracting, after i test drive it i could smell burning pads. Could it be the break hose? i have no idea and i need help. thank you.

·
974 Posts
It's common for new brake pads to smell while they're braking in. Jack up the car and try to turn the wheel by hand. Is it stuck?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried it, and when i press the break, it does break but when it comes to releasing, is not releasing right away.

·
974 Posts
Yeah probably clogged or otherwise damaged soft brake lines. I'd get a full set for the car, remove the old ones, flush the hard lines, then install the new soft lines, and bleed the system. It's not uncommon for the inner lining of soft brake lines to de-laminate from the outer casing. If they're the originals, they're old.

·
974 Posts
I took another look, i took the disconnected the hose from the caliper and there was oil coming, does that mean the hose is not clogged?
The inner liner could be acting like a check valve if it's loose allowing fluid to flow to the caliper but not from it. Another thing to check is whether your slide pins are moving freely. With the piston fully retracted, you should be able to slide the caliper by hand if they are not binding and are lubricated well enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, so i noticed that my passenger caliper was sticking, i took it apart and found that the rotor had a crack, i am guessing it was due driving with the stuck caliper.
I replaced the caliper, the rotor and break pads, but somehow the caliper is not retracting, after i test drive it i could smell burning pads. Could it be the break hose? i have no idea and i need help. thank you.
Most likely the break line is bad and collapsing making it not able to release pressure. When it fails like that it acts almost like a check valve where it allows pressure out but doesnt let it return. There is really no visual signs you can look for to confirm this but change the line, I bet it goes away ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts