Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GT Liqui-Damp Sound Deadener is a super thick, liquid sound-dampening product that when cured creates a durable, vibration-absorbing layer of sound insulation.

I received about a gallon of product and managed to use most of it applying two layers (as recommended) in both the doors, under the rear seats, and in he trunk.

Door Panels Before

First, I applied a layer of GT Mat 80 MIL

Next, I applied a thin layer of Liqui-Damp

This was then followed up with a second layer after the first had dried.

I then focused my attention on the spare tire area. I have already applied a full coat of 80 MIL GT Mat.

I applied a thin layer of Liqui-Damp, allowed it to dry, and then applied a second layer.

There is a noticeable color change in the product when it is dry, this makes it really easy to tell when you are able to apply the second coat. Don't try to cheat and apply a second coat early, the first coat will peel.

Notice around the edges where it is lighter, this part is dry.

The lighter portions are dry.

Side Note: Take the time to reseal the plastic coverings on the inside of the door panels. These are actually functional, they keep moisture away from the wiring, electronics, and prevent your door speakers from becoming soaked. I used a blow dryer to heat the rubber up and it stuck back together just fine. I believe it is butyl rubber, the same sealant used in the headlights.

My Opinions on the product:

The product applies very nicely with the supplied brush. You can easily get into tight spaces, like the doors. I used it in conjunction with the GT Mat, which I would highly recommend. It is a great way to add a little extra to your sound deadening setup without taking much time. With that being said, this stuff goes on quick! You do not need to peel back wrappers, cut to size, or really any other prep work. There is not any scent that I noticed during application, and definitely nothing after application.:yes way:

If anyone has any other questions regarding the product, or my experience installing it, please feel free to ask! :yesway:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the images and review Ryne! Are you planning on painting over the Liqui-Damp or leaving as it? We would be interested in a video if possible. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the images and review Ryne! Are you planning on painting over the Liqui-Damp or leaving as it? We would be interested in a video if possible. :)
I actually was considering painting it after I saw the quality of the finish. It is a very easy way to cover up existing GT Mat, increase sound dampening, and leave a paintable surface.

I could take a video if there was a consensus as to what would like to be seen. I have a considerable amount of product spread throughout my car, there is some under almost every panel. One place I have done more recently, and was very satisfied with, was the hood. If you take off the factory heat shield you can apply GT Mat, and then reapply the factory heat shield. This has given the hood significantly more structural integrity as well as decrease engine noise.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really helpful. Probably going to be doing this to my car soon, thanks :)
Sounds good. I would recommend going for the GT Mat to cover large areas, and then pick up some Liqui-Damp to fill in cracks and add a final paintable layer to the setup. I have these products used together in my car and the results are impressive.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know too many of you guys have noise issues to not be all over this.

What questions do you guys have?

·
Registered
22 Posts
We are offering a free 6oz sample of our new Liqui-Damp X product to anyone who might be interested! All you have to do is give us a call to provide your info.

·
Shocker Lite
1,990 Posts
Is it sprayable? Or can it be thinned to be sprayable? I have a lot of applications where a brush simply won't work or reach.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it sprayable? Or can it be thinned to be sprayable? I have a lot of applications where a brush simply won't work or reach.
Both Liqui-Damp and Liqui-Damp X can be used with a spray gun though we have not tested it here in our offices. I'd be happy to send you the free sample of the X product for testing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thought I'd share some pictures of the GTM Supercar that we sponsored with Liqui-Damp. If we decide to have a booth at SEMA, this may be one of our display cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts