Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Hey guys! I'm a brand new member of Club 3G, and excited to be here. I just recently picked up this baby. It's a 2002 Eclipse GT. 127,000 miles.
The good:
It's an all original 2 owner car - I'm the 3rd. The original owner took immaculate care of this car. She changed all the fluids per the user's manual specs and documented it. From my understanding, she used it as a daily driver and babied the heck out of it the entire length of time she owned it. It's also had a decent quality re-spray paint job at some point in its life.
The bad:
The 2nd owner did none of those things. He was a kid, fresh out of high school who ran the heck out of it. The transmission is now shot. It BARELY shifts gears and smokes after 15-20 minutes of driving it. I thought it was the clutch at first, but now I'm second guessing.
He did however put brand new wheels and tires on it shortly before selling it.
Anyway, long story short this will be my project car. I plan on pulling the engine and transmission, replacing the transmission, clutch, mounts, gaskets, seals, and everything else that needs replacing. Essentially it will be a brand new-old weekend car when I'm done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you very much. I'd say in total the car is probably about a 7 out of 10. The fun part is finding a manual transmission. None of my local junkyards have them, and I'm not quite ready to shell out $850 plus shipping for an Ebay tranny. Hopefully one will turn up sooner or later. I'm not in a huge rush.

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
Hi.. and welcome to the site.. Looks like a real clean ride you have there . Can you tell me what your paint code is. R70 perhaps .. I know its not the Serento Red but a little dark for R70 or it could be just the pic. Any ways .. good luck with your build.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. HD sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
50 Posts
You might consider just going through only the transaxle. Pulling the engine is a lot of extra work if not needed. These engines are pretty bullet proof. ...whtrabit

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi.. and welcome to the site.. Looks like a real clean ride you have there . Can you tell me what your paint code is. R70 perhaps .. I know its not the Serento Red but a little dark for R70 or it could be just the pic. Any ways .. good luck with your build.
Thank you! I wish I could tell you what the paint code is, but I have no idea. It had been repainted once before in what seems like a slightly darker shade than original.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. HD sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
50 Posts
I'm new to this site as well, but me and the "white rabbit" are old friends. I have owned it since 2005. I would be careful what you take on with these cars until you learn your way around a bit.. Just getting mine back on the road after some smog issues put it out of service for a while. ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm new to this site as well, but me and the "white rabbit" are old friends. I have owned it since 2005. I would be careful what you take on with these cars until you learn your way around a bit.. Just getting mine back on the road after some smog issues put it out of service for a while. ...
Thanks for the heads up!

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
Thank you! I wish I could tell you what the paint code is, but I have no idea. It had been repainted once before in what seems like a slightly darker shade than original.
That is exactly what I thought.. a shade or two darker ...but still beautiful man... I`m saving up for paint... they want 5 grand .. minor scratches and stone chips but from 20 feet she`s gorgeous .. especially with her top down.. If you don`t mind I`m gonna follow along and see what yours becomes...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is exactly what I thought.. a shade or two darker ...but still beautiful man... I`m saving up for paint... they want 5 grand .. minor scratches and stone chips but from 20 feet she`s gorgeous .. especially with her top down.. If you don`t mind I`m gonna follow along and see what yours becomes...
View attachment 44135
Hey man absolutely. And thank you, I'm glad someone is along for the ride. I'm gonna have fun with this one. Yours looks awesome as well! It's hard to keep a nice paint job nice. I'd just buff the heck out of it and have fun.

·
Registered
2002 Gray Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
15 Posts
Looks good for a far. When I bought mine the guy didn't take care of it and then I had to park it for three years so needless to say it needs work.

Welcome to the community and hope you have a great time here and fun with your car.

Here's a picture of mine.

My next project is complete brake job and struts/shocks.

Bethani

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
Oh darn Bethani .. purple font .. I had to switch back to light mode to read it . o_O Well . your car looks real good in the picture ..
There is a zink platted drilled and slotted brake kit out there waiting for you to purchase . I see your Avatar is flying the American flag so I don`t know who would sell them other there.. In Canada I got mine from Canada Brakes complete front and back with metallic shoes for under $500 .Delivered to my door ..
It`s struts all around girl.. No shocks.. You can get those from Rockauto.com . I went with the KYB-AGX Adjustable with Tein lowering springs to get rid of that 4x4 look . I lowered mine 2" ...
Nice to see a Lady with so much interest in the Mitsubishi ... Hey.. we have the same rims..Does it read M/B on your caps If so they are Seven X Series . Looks like you are missing one on the front.... You can find them on Ebay... I am replacing my caps and offered a fellow on here my old ones but as of yet he hasn't got back to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Widgmaster sorry 😞 about the font purple is my color. Lol. Yes, unfortunately I have the American flag. It’s just where I’m at in time. I seen those brake kit and I would love 💕 to have them on my car. I didn’t think there was shock but my dad kept saying it’s struts in the front and shocks in back. I love rockauto.com it’s where I get most of my parts from. One of my rear struts is broke but it’s my only car so I have to drive it like that which hurts 😢 my soul to put her through that.

I would love to switch out the drums to disks in the rear but not really sure how to go about doing it. I found a post on here and I’m reading it to see what’s in tales doing that.

Ive been into cars since I was a little girl and when I found the opportunity to own an Eclipse I jump on it. My car is my baby. I get a lot of looks from guys when they find out it’s a girl driving it and then they want my number. I guess it’s a turn on but I don’t know. Lol.

I will have to look at my rims they were on the car when I bought her and one is bent too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh darn Bethani .. purple font .. I had to switch back to light mode to read it . o_O Well . your car looks real good in the picture ..
There is a zink platted drilled and slotted brake kit out there waiting for you to purchase . I see your Avatar is flying the American flag so I don`t know who would sell them other there.. In Canada I got mine from Canada Brakes complete front and back with metallic shoes for under $500 .Delivered to my door ..
It`s struts all around girl.. No shocks.. You can get those from Rockauto.com . I went with the KYB-AGX Adjustable with Tein lowering springs to get rid of that 4x4 look . I lowered mine 2" ...
Nice to see a Lady with so much interest in the Mitsubishi ... Hey.. we have the same rims..Does it read M/B on your caps If so they are Seven X Series . Looks like you are missing one on the front.... You can find them on Ebay... I am replacing my caps and offered a fellow on here my old ones but as of yet he hasn't got back to me.
So, I see you have the 3.0L inyour car nice. Wish mine did.

·
Registered
21 Posts
wow! @Cjm3132 it looks super clean welcome! Really enjoy the darker red paint with those rims it looks super nice. The body looks like it's in great condition a little TLC to try to restore the paint a bit and it will probably look amazing.

I feel you on the parts issue 😅

I need a new seal for my rear driver's side window on my 03 eclipse spyder but my options right now seem to be either spend 180+ shipping for an entire new window + seal or wait till one shows up in the area/scrapyard where I can just remove the seal and put it on mine.

Hope to see updates on it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts