Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Just wanted to say thanks in advance for any help that I might receive! I just bought my first 3G a few weeks back and am excited to get to work on it. As far as experience goes, I am by no means a mechanic, but I understand how the various systems work and am an ample "parts changer."

*I've done quite a bit of searching through the new members forum as well as many other threads for an answer to this question, but haven't found anything that seems to fit my situation.*

For the most part, my 03 GTS is in beautiful shape. The only issue that I have found so far is a loud, clanking noise(sounds almost like metal on metal) in the driver's side front end. This noise only occurs when I hit bumps in the road and increases in volume with the size of the bump.

Here's what I have checked so far:

Motor and trans mounts - visual inspection as well as having a friend hold the brake and apply gas to see how the motor and trans return

Checked the strut mounts to make sure they were tight, but I don't have a torque wrench so I am not sure if they are to spec

Checked caliper and lug nuts to make sure everything was tight (dealership I bought it from put on new brake pads)

And I pushed down on the front end repeatedly to see if the struts made any noise, which they didn't.

The kicker is that my brakes make a god-awful noise when I move the car very short distances at like 1mph so I am not sure if this is related or another issue that I need to check out.

I know that this is a fairly vague question, and can be any number of issues, but I would really appreciate any feedback on what the issue could be and how I can check for what is wrong. Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Check for loose exhaust heat shields, look at the away bar bushings and end links and your ball joints. Likely one of those is your culprit.

·
Premium Member
31,369 Posts
:agreed: On Ball Joints or Control Arms, Tie Rod Ends could be a factor as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input! From what I can tell, the sway bar links are shot and the transmission mount likely needs to be replaced. It's consistently been about 18 degrees outside here in Cleveland so I'll probably just fix the sway bar bushings for now.

Any suggestions on whether or not its worth upgrading the front sway bar? I'm not sure if it really makes a difference on a FWD. I plan on eventually doing coilovers, prothane bushings, and a rear sway bar, so if it's worth upgrading the front then I might as well do it now.

Check for loose exhaust heat shields, look at the away bar bushings and end links and your ball joints. Likely one of those is your culprit.
don't forget control arm bushings!
:agreed: On Ball Joints or Control Arms, Tie Rod Ends could be a factor as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts