Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I’m new to this and I have a 2003 Eclipse GT. I’m doing my best to learn what I can do to keep my car alive! I have changed some things such as the radiator and air filter but there’s some other things I need to fix. Recently I’ve been having issues which the biggest one yet is an oil leak. I was thinking of taking the engine out and trying my best to rebuild it. If there’s any recommendations please let me know! Again I’m new to this and I wish to learn more about my Eclipse and make so much improvement down the line!

· Registered
2005 Spyder GT
1,007 Posts
Hey everyone! I’m new to this and I have a 2003 Eclipse GT. I’m doing my best to learn what I can do to keep my car alive! I have changed some things such as the radiator and air filter but there’s some other things I need to fix. Recently I’ve been having issues which the biggest one yet is an oil leak. I was thinking of taking the engine out and trying my best to rebuild it. If there’s any recommendations please let me know! Again I’m new to this and I wish to learn more about my Eclipse and make so much improvement down the line!
Welcome to Club3G!!!
Chances are pretty good that your oil leak is coming from the valve cover gaskets, a common problem with this car. You should be able to check that easily by simply looking around the valve cover seal, at least the front one anyway. The rear valve cover is hidden under the intake plenum. A good time to check the rear valve cover is when replacing the spark plugs because you need to remove the plenum anyway to access the other three spark plugs (on the v6, of course).

Another common oil leak area is by the drain plug...why? Because owners (and mechanics) sometimes fail to replace the crush washer with the plug.

Another common issue with this car is lifter tick, and this site has some easy fixes and more complicated fixes depending on the severity of the ticking noise.

FYI, there is a common misperception that replacing the stock air intake with a CAI will add more performance. A longtime member here tested and disproved the claim of increased performance, though a CAI will definitely make the engine sound better.
As for "performance mods" that you might consider, start with the suspension and also install a thicker rear sway bar which will make a big difference in handling.
Good luck and enjoy your new ride!!!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Club3G!!!
Chances are pretty good that your oil leak is coming from the valve cover gaskets, a common problem with this car. You should be able to check that easily by simply looking around the valve cover seal, at least the front one anyway. The rear valve cover is hidden under the intake plenum. A good time to check the rear valve cover is when replacing the spark plugs because you need to remove the plenum anyway to access the other three spark plugs (on the v6, of course).

Another common oil leak area is by the drain plug...why? Because owners (and mechanics) sometimes fail to replace the crush washer with the plug.

Another common issue with this car is lifter tick, and this site has some easy fixes and more complicated fixes depending on the severity of the ticking noise.

FYI, there is a common misperception that replacing the stock air intake with a CAI will add more performance. A longtime member here tested and disproved the claim of increased performance, though a CAI will definitely make the engine sound better.
As for "performance mods" that you might consider, start with the suspension and also install a thicker rear sway bar which will make a big difference in handling.
Good luck and enjoy your new ride!!!
Thanks for the advice! I’ll try everything and get to the bottom of this issue. The suggestion for the performance mods sounds awesome as well! This’ll be fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts