Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to Mitsubishi's. I've searched the forums and haven't quite found anything with the same symptoms that I'm struggling with.

I just bought a 2003 Spyder GT 3.0 V6, 5spd with 110k. Noted issues from seller were drivers side trans/motor mount needs to be replaced, and it had a small vacuum leak on the intake manifold near where the EGR solenoid is but he appeared to have repaired it with epoxy.

On my drive home after buying it I stopped to fill it with gas. I struggled to pump gas as the pump kept stopping like the tank was full, but it was only about 3/4 full. I then went into the gas station to get a drink, came out, car started right up, I started to enter my destination into my GPS and while doing so the car died. I tried to restart it and it did not want to start.

I continued trying to start it. It would start for a second but immediately die. It acted like it wasn't getting any fuel. If I floored it it would just die. Finally after about 10-12 minutes of trying I was able to get it to stay running by tapping the gas pedal fast and repeatedly. It then died again but when I cranked it over the next time it started right up like nothing happened.

I drove it like this the rest of the day without any issues. I got home and was thinking maybe it had something to do with the evap system. As I was inspecting the car I took the gas cap off, put it back on and started, no issues. I let it sit for about 2 hours and came out to go somewhere and it wouldn't start, it started having the same symptoms as at the gas station, except this time I couldn't get it to stay running, or even start by tapping the gas.

Now all it does is crank and crank. It won't start. I feel like it's not getting fuel. I have no experience with these cars. Anyone else ever experienced this? Any idea where to start? Evap purge? Fuel pump/filter? Crank sensor? EGR valve?...

Please help! I have to get this car running this week so it doesn't get towed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to Mitsubishi's. I've searched the forums and haven't quite found anything with the same symptoms that I'm struggling with.

I just bought a 2003 Spyder GT 3.0 V6, 5spd with 110k. Noted issues from seller were drivers side trans/motor mount needs to be replaced, and it had a small vacuum leak on the intake manifold near where the EGR solenoid is but he appeared to have repaired it with epoxy.

On my drive home after buying it I stopped to fill it with gas. I struggled to pump gas as the pump kept stopping like the tank was full, but it was only about 3/4 full. I then went into the gas station to get a drink, came out, car started right up, I started to enter my destination into my GPS and while doing so the car died. I tried to restart it and it did not want to start.

I continued trying to start it. It would start for a second but immediately die. It acted like it wasn't getting any fuel. If I floored it it would just die. Finally after about 10-12 minutes of trying I was able to get it to stay running by tapping the gas pedal fast and repeatedly. It then died again but when I cranked it over the next time it started right up like nothing happened.

I drove it like this the rest of the day without any issues. I got home and was thinking maybe it had something to do with the evap system. As I was inspecting the car I took the gas cap off, put it back on and started, no issues. I let it sit for about 2 hours and came out to go somewhere and it wouldn't start, it started having the same symptoms as at the gas station, except this time I couldn't get it to stay running, or even start by tapping the gas.

Now all it does is crank and crank. It won't start. I feel like it's not getting fuel. I have no experience with these cars. Anyone else ever experienced this? Any idea where to start? Evap purge? Fuel pump/filter? Crank sensor? EGR valve?...

Please help! I have to get this car running this week so it doesn't get towed.
I also scanned for codes and nothing came up, no check engine light either.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would try to check fuel pressure first and confirm the pump is working. If not, then investigate why pump is not working

·
Registered
533 Posts
The pump at the gas station continually stopping while filling usually indicates a bad evap vent solenoid. They are back at the evap canister... NOT the same as the evap purge solenoid.

As for the car not running it could be multiple things but testing fuel pressure and then engine compression are good places to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll look into testing the fuel pressure and compression tonight when I get home. Would the evap vent solenoid have any impact on fuel delivery?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd trying keeping it running by spraying starting fluid in to the intake if it runs off the starting fluid you probably have a fuel problem, weather it's a weak pump, or plugged line or vent, or just staight up bad gas

·
Registered
5 Posts
I forgot to mention fuel pressure regulator.. those will get you also.. but keep it simple.. compression test are always good but in this case it wouldn't be my first test.. because you can only really test 3 cylinders unless u start tearing stuff down.. so check fuel pressure try running it with starting fluid

·
Registered
533 Posts
I forgot to mention fuel pressure regulator.. those will get you also.. but keep it simple.. compression test are always good but in this case it wouldn't be my first test.. because you can only really test 3 cylinders unless u start tearing stuff down.. so check fuel pressure try running it with starting fluid
You can't do any accurate compression test without removing all the spark plugs so not sure how you've been doing it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes that is my point exactly.. the rear bank is under the manifold so you have to take everything apart to do a proper comp. Test. Thats why I said to do the other tests first.. cause its alot of work to do a comp test

·
Registered
5 Posts
This site is dead.. full of know it all youtube mechanics I was hoping to get some real advice from this site but it's a bunch of petty lil wannabees

1 - 12 of 12 Posts