Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured some of you may be interested. This new complex will be a little north of Charlotte, in Concord, NC.

WRAL News said:
Posted: Jan. 24 4:46 p.m.
Updated: Jan. 24 8:45 p.m.

Concord — Speedway Motorsports, Inc., CEO O. Bruton Smith on Thursday unveiled plans for a new drag-racing facility, a quarter-mile strip that will join Lowe's Motor Speedway's 1.5-mile superspeedway and four-tenths-mile dirt track.

Preliminary grading work was under way, and construction on the grandstand foundation will begin in early February. The facility will open Sept. 11-14 with the inaugural NHRA Carolinas Nationals, round 19 of the 24-race NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series.

Concord town officials rejected the drag strip in October, and Smith responded by threatening to move his speedway out of Cabarrus County.

The strip is being called The Dragway @ Lowe's Motor Speedway for now, but Smith asked fans to help give the facility a permanent name. Fans can submit their ideas via the Speedway's Web site.

"I love to build things, and this is an exciting project because we are going to build the crown jewel of drag strips," Smith said following the unveiling.

"We are constantly looking for ways to grow our business, and the success of NHRA racing at our other tracks told us that adding a drag strip here was a tremendous opportunity," Smith added. "Plus, there is just something special about a race car with 7,000 horsepower."

The dragway will be located on 125 acres of LMS property across U.S. Highway 29 from the superspeedway.

The most prominent feature of the dragway will be a 34,000-sq-ft starting-line tower that will include 16 luxury suites and an additional 4,000 square feet of roof access for guests. The tower will also include a control area for race officials, a broadcast booth and a press box for media members.

Initial plans call for two grandstand structures, one on each side of the quarter-mile drag strip, with a seating capacity of 30,000 and room for expansion to 60,000.

The new dragway will be the fourth NHRA-sanctioned drag strip owned by Speedway Motorsports, Inc.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im so glad were going to be getting a drag strip in concord. rockingham is just way to far from charlotte.
:cool: I think we should try and schedule a dirt track race between the NC 3Gs.... LOL! ;)

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
:cool: I think we should try and schedule a dirt track race between the NC 3Gs.... LOL! ;)
That would be soo freakin awesome, only probably many people would wreck, lol.

I'd rather do a 1/4 mile meet.... that would be great. And then we coould do some logging/tuning on the track. Not the same as dyno tuning, but you get to have 1/4mi times to go with the logs

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well looks like id be disqualified cause i dont have a 3g anymore. i traded mine in this past may. but i think imma trade my car i have now back in for a 3g cause i miss having one so much.
Time to update the info under your avatar.... Says you have an 03 GT ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
We are so excited about this! Five minutes from the shop :)

Reactions: steadly2004

·
Anastacia HOE!!!!
4,507 Posts
Im excited about it too. I cant wait for it to open. Im by NorthLake Mall , But i work part time at Linens&Things right down the street from it. I cant wait!!!

(Linens&Things is hiring also if anyone knows anyone needed a part time job easiest job ever)

·
Appalachian State
1,574 Posts
Im excited about it too. I cant wait for it to open. Im by NorthLake Mall , But i work part time at Linens&Things right down the street from it. I cant wait!!!

(Linens&Things is hiring also if anyone knows anyone needed a part time job easiest job ever)
hahaha what do they pay an hour........

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
The zMAX Dragway had it's first test and tune yesterday. There was a really diverse turn out. I think the final count was 250+ cars. 3SX was there and made a pass or two, but I didn't see their runs. Underground racing showed up with a Gallardo TT and Viper TT. Both were in the 10's. Tasca Ford was also making some 10 second passes in a Mustang.

There were some track prep issues and a lot of cars were breaking lose around the 1/8th mile mark and getting sideways. The timing sensors were messed up for a little while too and cars were trapping between 200 and 550 mph. There was also a Z06 that drove down the 3/4 mile slow down area and into the sand pit. That shut down things for 30 minutes or so.

Overall, it was a good time. Here are some pics I took with my phone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts