Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
I just pick up a 2003 GT manual transmission with a little over 100k miles with typical Eclipse problems: Valve cover gasket, Sunroof need support to open, AC doesn't work..etc..

I'm fixing a few minor things here and there but will bring her back to her glory days.

Reactions: repforenzo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..
She has scuff mark and a few scratches on the front and rear bumper.
Overall, not bad for 17 years old car. I'm looking at the engine to see any major things that need to be done.😃😃😃😃

Reactions: buddd

·
1,024 Posts
Thanks..
She has scuff mark and a few scratches on the front and rear bumper.
Overall, not bad for 17 years old car. I'm looking at the engine to see any major things that need to be done.😃😃😃😃
Timing belt. People usually neglect the timing belt because it's a pain in the ass to do. It's prone to breakage when it hasn't been maintained properly and your engine will be destroyed if it goes. Unless you have proof it was replaced within 60,000 miles and 5 years ago, replace it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh..
I just replace Valve cover gasket.
Check all 4 brakes. 3 calipers still work except the front driver side.
I also clean the tube to clear EGR valve SES..
Timing belt will be next and then A/C compressor...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would also do the plugs and wires, rotor and distributor cap when you do the valve cover gaskets and use the factory plugs only.
Can you elaborate more about the factory plugs only?
Will it idle different if we use spark plugs from the part store?
Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks.
I have been told these cars will throw codes for misfiring but, considering how big of a pain in the ass the back 3 plugs are to get to, i would use only the factory plugs. I dont know which ones are for the GT model. My GTS takes Laser Iridiums. You can find the plugs listed in the factory manual. Also, replace the upper plenum gasket. Don't reuse the old one. It is a metal gasket and does not cost much.

·
1,024 Posts
Thanks.
He means go with the factory specified NGK plugs. You can get them at the parts store still, just make sure you get the exact NGK iridiums specified by Mitsubishi. They might be a little pricey, but given how hard they are to change and how frequently you have to do them, it's best to just get the right ones and do the job correctly once. Same with plug wires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it..
Thanks guys..
You guys are awesome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi all,
I just pick up a 2003 GT manual transmission with a little over 100k miles with typical Eclipse problems: Valve cover gasket, Sunroof need support to open, AC doesn't work..etc..
View attachment 43044
View attachment 43045
View attachment 43046

I'm fixing a few minor things here and there but will bring her back to her glory days.
Great looking car. I have a 2001 that looks very similar to yours. Be sure to change the water pump whenever you do the timing belt. It failed on mine at 193K miles and took out the timing belt. Repairs cost $2100 three years ago. Required a valve job and heads machined.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks..
The next item on my list is timing belt kit including water pump.
I'm searching for timing belt wrench and all of them are made of hard plastic..i'm looking for the metal one..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I was looking at that but it was made of hard plastic which people complaint that they will break.
I'm looking for the metal one.
Thanks.

·
1,024 Posts
I was looking at that but it was made of hard plastic which people complaint that they will break.
I'm looking for the metal one.
Thanks.
Nope. That's incorrect. It's made from steel. I had one and just sold it to another member here who can verify. OTC makes professional grade tools. They wouldn't make it out of plastic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think you got a great first batch from OTC before.
Today, they listed as "hard plastic"

I'm not sure if i can find the metal one anymore.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just used a small pry bar when I did my timing belt. You want just enough tension to where the pin in the hydrolic tensioner has no resistance when removing and then torque the pulley bolt down to spec.

·
1,024 Posts
Today, they listed as "hard plastic" View attachment 43068
Yeah I don't trust amazon descriptions. They are usually written by people that haven't even had the product in their hands. I emailed OTC to see what they have to say. I highly doubt they make them out of plastic now. OTC usually makes high quality stuff. Only problem they usually have with this tool is people try to torque on them when the pins aren't fully inserted in the pulley and they bend the pins. The pins are only strong in shear, not when a cantilevered force is applied.

·
1,024 Posts
Today, they listed as "hard plastic" View attachment 43068

Got an email from OTC. Body is copied below.

The black part is made from steel.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Gerald
Bosch Automotive Service Solutions LLC
OTC TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Bosch Automotive Service Solutions
655 Eisenhower Drive
Owatonna, MN 55060

TEL 1 800-533-6127
FAX 1 847-590-4029
[email protected]
www.bosch.com
Seems like if someone received this tool with a plastic body it was a counterfeit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts