Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goodmorning guys.

I just want to say I love these forums and they've been very helpful with my issues.
Recently my CD player has been giving me issues. It suddenly started saying CODE and it wont read any CD's or even play radio music. its crazy.
My car is an Automatic/sportronic. and lately when I stop at the lights the car stalls out and just shuts off. I have to switch to Nuetral and rev some RPMs to keep it from doing that. I went to pep boys and they gave me and estimate for a diagnostics. $75.00 and plus whatever the trouble would be, probably a couple hundred dollars more.
please guys I really need help on this one.

thank you

·
Shut up.
3,700 Posts
hey,
Well first of all the cd player saying code mean that the security "anti-theft" lock is on, you can find this CODE in your owners manual if your lucky lol Your either going to have to take it to the dealer and have them take your radio out, get the seriel number off it, and go find the code. Thats going to cost you. I suggest taking the radio out yourself, getting the seriel number off it, and call your local Mitsubishi service department yourself.
About the stalling problem, is there a SES light on??
if it is take it to autozone or advanced auto parts if you have one local and they will scan it and tell you what the code is, and sometimes tell you what is wrong with the car. If they only give you a code bring it back here and look the code up to see whatc wrong. If there isnt a SES light on there maybe someone else on here that is more "technical" can help ya.

But im going to go ahead and say, need more details on the symptoms on the car...give more details on what it is doing.

And ALWAYS use SEARCH before you post...please. Saving you from flaming

Oh and whats the NEW steering wheel got to do with what you posted? you didnt mentoin anything about it...lol

This thread needs to be moved to Problem reports if im not mistaken :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey,

sorry im actually very new to the forum thing. further more here.
anyways. I have a JDM steering wheel installed. and ever since I unplugged the wirings it started happening. SRS is lit always and as for the stalling it seems that when It goes from 2nd to 1st quickly it will stall. 2x it happend.
I was thinking it may be my starter or spark plugs could that be the case?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
hey,

sorry im actually very new to the forum thing. further more here.
anyways. I have a JDM steering wheel installed. and ever since I unplugged the wirings it started happening. SRS is lit always and as for the stalling it seems that when It goes from 2nd to 1st quickly it will stall. 2x it happend.
I was thinking it may be my starter or spark plugs could that be the case?
Oh, where to begin...the SRS (supplemental restraint system) light is on because you removed the driver's side air bag when you installed your JDM steering wheel...

As for your stalling problem, first of all I'm sure the starter has nothing to do with this...I'm not even sure where you came to this conclusion...:scratch: Anytime you're having trouble with the vehicle running right, take the car to Autozone and have them check the trouble codes...it's free! So has the vehicle only stalled twice then? Also, are the quick downshifts you mention performed by you in sporty mode, or when it is in "D"? We still need some more information though...

What year is your car?

What modifications have you made to the car (or lack thereof)?

When is the last time you did a tune-up?

So far, all we know is that you have a GT sporty that stalls sometimes, "especially" when it quickly downshifts from 2nd to 1st...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a 2000 GT all thats in it is a BOMZ cold air intake. thats all. when it stalls its in D and not on sportronic. I figured the starter was the problem because unlike my previous vehicle where i just barely tap the key in and it turns on this one i have to hold it in for at least 2 seconds before turning on. i installed the cold air intake a long time ago and i know thats not the problem. my last tune up was a long time ago. that might have caused it. :(

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
its a 2000 GT all thats in it is a BOMZ cold air intake. thats all. when it stalls its in D and not on sportronic. I figured the starter was the problem because unlike my previous vehicle where i just barely tap the key in and it turns on this one i have to hold it in for at least 2 seconds before turning on. i installed the cold air intake a long time ago and i know thats not the problem. my last tune up was a long time ago. that might have caused it. :(
This isn't just for you quicksilverm2, but for anyone out there...if you're having drivability issues and it's been a while since your last tune-up, that should be your first step!

Perform a tune-up and then get the trouble codes checked at Autozone (in that order)...then, report back with any updates...:ugh2:

As for the starter, once the ignition switch moves back from start to run, the gear that engages the ring gear on the flexplate (or flywheel for the MT guys) is mechanically retracted back into the starter housing and disengages the contact with the ring gear...basically, the starter is physically taken out of the equation.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
while your there, have them check the battery and alternator. If your radio is asking for its code, it's lost power at some point or did you disconnect the battery when changing steering wheels?

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
its the damn MAF sensor, its either on wrong or loose. check the connections. Its not the starter or any things else. Did you modify the maf sensor? like remove the honeycomb thats there? did you unplug the MAF sensor or possibly break the harness? and yes I have delt with this problem before.

·
Shut up.
3,700 Posts
while your there, have them check the battery and alternator. If your radio is asking for its code, it's lost power at some point or did you disconnect the battery when changing steering wheels?
Lets hope he did considering he was messing with the airbag....i kno i wouldnt ever risk it..lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually the airbag came off easly and gently.
to be honest with you guys I dont know much about cars. MAF sensors i dont know.
yes i did disconnect the battery to mess with the airbags but I doubt that would be an issue because I've disconnected it before.
but going back to the MAF sensor. what is that and where is it located on a 6G72?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OMG i went to pep boys and just for a diagnostics theyre wanting $75.00 and thats JUST diagnostics. I then asked them well how much would it be to install new spark plugs. and he quoted me 231.00 what a freakin rip off.

·
54,424 Posts
no thats pretty cheap actually. they have to remove the upper intake manifold to replace the back 3 sparkplugs....but who knows if pepboys will get it back together correctly :lol:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
OMG i went to pep boys and just for a diagnostics theyre wanting $75.00 and thats JUST diagnostics. I then asked them well how much would it be to install new spark plugs. and he quoted me 231.00 what a freakin rip off.
Which is why I said to go to Autozone...they do it for free! I think Advance Auto does as well...basically, the parts stores that don't have a service department...:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
the only reason I asked if he disconnected the battery was, every time I disconnect mine, I have to re-enter the code for the radio and the car drives like crap (shifting) for the next couple of trips.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So for the stereo I need to re-enter my code.
How the heck do I do that?
I know I press the on button first and then what, the numbers on the radio?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts