Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Eclipse Spyder GT Convertible
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Greetings all, I signed up in this site 4 months ago and am finally with time to connect. First thank you for having me. I’m glad this group/site exists.
I purchased the beautiful vehicle below in August 2021. At the time it had 153k miles now it’s 156k as of yesterday. Majority of the miles local city and more recent since November going back and forth from Savannah to Charleston…something I don’t see myself doing anytime soon again.
There were a number of issues that existed at time of purchase. And some new ones that arose. Below I’ve listed -
At time of purchase- antennae didn’t go down, passenger tear drop window didnt go down, rear view mirror doesn’t stay fixed in position, paint erosion on front of vehicle, leaking roof at drivers side door above the front drivers side speaker and on the passenger side where the windows connected (this I think due to the window not going down proper when the roof was raised back in place so the gasket was getting mashed), trunk struts needing replacement, passenger door lock not opening when the drivers door unlocked and struts needed replacing.
Recent issue audio fuse 10a in the engine compartment kept blowing. I’ve replaced the yellow pal with separate fuses bc I couldn’t figure out how to remove the fuses from the yellow box, neither could the mechanic. And most recently now a week the car vibrates when over 40mph. Oh and the rear deivers side light cover came off, I’ve covered it with tape until I’m able to financially buy a new set (my mechanic said buy a set for left and right so they’ll look uniform.

Work done so far, oil change when it was purchased and yesterday changed the oil, filter, and air filter. I’ve added antifreeze/coolant to the reserve chamber.
When the audio fuse began blowing I changed the fuses and somehow the teardrop window began going down.

regarding the fuses, they would keep shorting. Sometimes they wouldn’t and then a big bump and out goes the radio and door opening lights and key lock. Yesterday I noticed a black cable not connected in the inside fuse compartment and assumed it was a ground of sorts. I grounded it to the frame and no issues so far. I’ve taken a picture. You’ll see where I connected the clip.

So what I want to fix right now is the vibrating, leaky gaskets, rear light and mirror. Then focus on the antennae, and exterior issues. Hopefully the audio fuse issue is due to that cable.

I appreciate all of you reading this. Any suggestions with the vibrating? And recommendations on light and new mirror or fixing the mirror so it doesn’t drop down. Oh and regarding the gaskets, how does one go about getting new gaskets for the roof and around the windows.

I appreciate any and all input. I truly love this vehicle and want to uplift her.
Thank you BSpear
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive side marker light
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood
Finger Electrical wiring Thumb Cable Automotive tire

·
Registered
37 Posts
The shaking is probably due to a warped rotor. To replace it you would need to replace the rotors and brake pads on the car. You can get a full rotor and brake pad kit on rockauto.com for about 160. For the gaskets you can probably buy them from your local oreillys or any auto parts store. Just tell them your vehicle and what part the gaskets are for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shaking is probably due to a warped rotor. To replace it you would need to replace the rotors and brake pads on the car. You can get a full rotor and brake pad kit on rockauto.com for about 160. For the gaskets you can probably buy them from your local oreillys or any auto parts store. Just tell them your vehicle and what part the gaskets are for.
Thank you sir. I appreciate your input. Looking into the kit and gaskets now

·
USN
1,043 Posts
For the shaking for going over 40, I would check balance of the tires first. Cheaper and easier than replacing the rotors, and it’s a common issue.

Engine gaskets are easy to find, but you mention gaskets for around the windows. They are much hard to come by from what I remember when I last looked. You may need to find a local junkyard to find replacements. I know a lot of trim pieces have been discontinued since this is a 17+ year old car.

The wire does look like a ground wire. It’s a good thing you found it and reattached it.

For the rear view mirror, you can buy a replacement one and install it yourself. It’s probably easier than trying to fix the one you have. You can search around a few website to find one that work for what you are looking for.

Hopefully this helps out with a few of your questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the shaking for going over 40, I would check balance of the tires first. Cheaper and easier than replacing the rotors, and it’s a common issue.

Engine gaskets are easy to find, but you mention gaskets for around the windows. They are much hard to come by from what I remember when I last looked. You may need to find a local junkyard to find replacements. I know a lot of trim pieces have been discontinued since this is a 17+ year old car.

The wire does look like a ground wire. It’s a good thing you found it and reattached it.

For the rear view mirror, you can buy a replacement one and install it yourself. It’s probably easier than trying to fix the one you have. You can search around a few website to find one that work for what you are looking for.

Hopefully this helps out with a few of your questions.
Thank you, do you have any recommendations on checking the balance. And regarding the rear view mirror. The model one has the dome lights is there a mirror that is similar or site you recommend.

ill look into junkyard eBay and fb marketplace also for gaskets.

thank you again

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you, do you have any recommendations on checking the balance. And regarding the rear view mirror. The model one has the dome lights is there a mirror that is similar or site you recommend.

ill look into junkyard eBay and fb marketplace also for gaskets.

thank you again
You can take your car or wheels to any tire shop and they can check the balance on them

·
USN
1,043 Posts
👆 This for getting them checked. Also, I didn’t think about how the convertible has a different mirror. I would just go to google “2004 eclipse convertible view mirror” and check around.

And if you go to a junkyard to pull the part yourself, make sure you practice on a part you don’t need to see how it all comes apart and not mess up what you want.

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
292 Posts
Check if there is a "set screw" for the mirror that could need tightening.
Have shop check your brakes & rotors while wheels are off and being balanced.
If balancing and brake check don't eliminate the vibration, then check motor mounts.
While roaming junkyards for window gaskets, look for a power antenna. I got lucky and found one off a junker that actually worked, as it is a common problem.
Btw, if your rotors were warped, they would most likely make a slight grinding noise. While the wheels are off, rotate the wheel hubs and listen for erratic rubbing. Vibration could also be worn wheel bearings, but since the vibration/noice only starts above 40mph, then wheel balance is most likely the culprit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check if there is a "set screw" for the mirror that could need tightening.
Have shop check your brakes & rotors while wheels are off and being balanced.
If balancing and brake check don't eliminate the vibration, then check motor mounts.
While roaming junkyards for window gaskets, look for a power antenna. I got lucky and found one off a junker that actually worked, as it is a common problem.
Btw, if your rotors were warped, they would most likely make a slight grinding noise. While the wheels are off, rotate the wheel hubs and listen for erratic rubbing. Vibration could also be worn wheel bearings, but since the vibration/noice only starts above 40mph, then wheel balance is most likely the culprit.
I'd like to add that the set screw is hidden behind a cap that you must pop off, I bought a craftsmen set that had the right tools to adjust that screw and have a rear view once again. It is a tight angle but with patience you can reach it the screw I promise
Edit: The Screw size is actually T20 2'' I was able to check

1 - 11 of 11 Posts