1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Not the Face!
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going from a 32" panasonic CRT to one of these:

SonyStyle.com | 52" BRAVIA® XBR® series LCD Flat Panel HDTV

So now I'll actually be able to see people's faces in movies. :wiggle:

I am planning on NOT going hardcore with the home theater stuff though--I just don't have the proper room for such a setup. Maybe I'll get some cheapo home-theater-in-a-box type setup from Onkyo or something. And some kind of blu-ray player.

·
Xenon Powered
1,049 Posts
Ohh very nice. That's going to be a mojor upgrade. One thing I've been wondering though about the Blu-ray player, (Sorry to Hijack your thread) do you have to have a tv that puts out 1080p? Because I have a Samsung 46" 720p and I almost bought a Blu-ray player the other day and that question hit me.

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
No, your televison doesn't have to be 1080p to watch Bluray movies. I watch my HD movies on my 720p projector and they look great.

Congrats on the new television. :D

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Yes, its 1080P so he would be receiving true HD.

Nice choice!! I have the same series (Sony Bravia) myself - however mine is a 42".

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
ok, don't get started on the whole 720p/1080p 'true' HD nonsense.

Your 46 inch TV will look spectacular with a Blu Ray player connected to it.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,305 Posts
Nice choice Eric :cool:

Awesome setup Steve :eek:

I only have a 1080i HDTV, but no HD or BR player. I only have a cheap upconverting DVD player :happysad:

·
Bringing sexy back
4,644 Posts
Yea why are people basing the true HD title on w/e native resolution it is putting out. Yes 1080 shows more pixels than 720, but why would that give it the title of true HD. HD is HD no matter how you think of it.

I've also been thinking of getting a 1080p plasma 42 inch, but read that the 1080p won't be a real noticable factor unless you get to 50 inches. So should I just get the panasonic 720 for $1300 or go for 1080p for $1700?

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Yea why are people basing the true HD title on w/e native resolution it is putting out. Yes 1080 shows more pixels than 720, but why would that give it the title of true HD. HD is HD no matter how you think of it.

I've also been thinking of getting a 1080p plasma 42 inch, but read that the 1080p won't be a real noticable factor unless you get to 50 inches. So should I just get the panasonic 720 for $1300 or go for 1080p for $1700?
Which one looks better to you. That's all that matters. My friend just bought a 50 inch Samsung plasma - one of the top ten rated models of 2007. It's 720p (768p). Sitting 10 feet away, it is gorgeous. Sitting 3 feet away is stupid. But thats the only place you'll see the difference between 720 and 1080 on that size television.

·
I can haz footballz?
8,009 Posts
My parents have that same TV. I must say it is an awesome choice. I play Blue-ray on it all the time, and it is spectacular. :twothumb:

·
Bringing sexy back
4,644 Posts
So anyone chime in here because this is what I have gathered. On anything less that a 50 inch plasma, you don't notice the difference between 1080p and 720p. The only real point to get 1080p is for high def movies.

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
Most broadcast HD television is 720p or 1080i. Honestly on a 50 inch set, unless you sit closer than 6 feet to the television you probably won't see a resolution difference between 720p and 1080p. That being said, the best thing to do is go look at some different models and compare them. There is so much that makes up the overall quality of picture. Not only resolution but refresh rate, source video, video processing, quality of the scaler, contrast, dejudder, etc go into the overall picture quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts