Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... I've been looking for the last couple days for the answer, but I don't see a How-To, or any other posts that give a definate answer. I could go to a dealership and search through manuals and stuff, but I would rather not. I bought a new water temp gauge (yes, I do realize there's one... but I wanted a new one, and I bought a gauge panel for some) and an oil temp gauge and I don't know which wires to tap off of behind the cluster for the water temp. I figured that I could just use the signal wire from behind the existing water temp gauge, but I'm not sure which one it is. Could someone be nice enough to tell me which wire it is?

Also, how do I hook up the oil temp? I looked for that as well and no one has given an answer that I found.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
You wouldn't have to go searching at a dealership...you can look in the sticky Tearstone made that has the FSMs. Volume 4 has the wiring schematics in it.

Also, a little more info would be good...what type of gauges did you buy? What brand? Electrical or mechanical (I'm assuming electrical)? If they're electric, why not just tap off the wire going into the gauge cluster (it's a lot closer and you won't have to run it through the firewall)? Any other info you can think of to help get you in the right direction will just make it that much easier...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's what I said... I wanted to know what wire I could tap off of behind the dash for the water temp. Wasn't sure about the oil temp though. I'll have to go home and find out what brand they are. They are basic mechanical guages, I believe.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yeah, that's what I said... I wanted to know what wire I could tap off of behind the dash for the water temp. Wasn't sure about the oil temp though. I'll have to go home and find out what brand they are. They are basic mechanical guages, I believe.
Post back when you find out what specific gauges you have. Part numbers would be great as well, just to verify we give you the proper info...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TomMotorSports Shop

That's the oil temp gauge...

TomMotorSports Shop

And there's the water temp gauge. I didn't pay anywhere near the posted prices though. I'm surprised they're marked up that much, holy crap. Anyway, they turn completely black when there's no power to them, and then light up when the car is turned on. The site doesnt show a picture of the back of them though, but it's a typical Ground, Switched Power, and Signal wire... I'll take a look at them again, 'cause I think there are actually 4 wires for some reason.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, could you please link Tearstone's post about the gauges? I can't seem to find anything from him telling how to hook it up..

·
6G72_4_LIFE
196 Posts
For the water temp its easy just take the cluster out and on the back of the cluster there are 3 screws on the back side of were the stock temp gauge is. One screw says T.U the other says IG+ and the other is Gnd. Just unscrew the screws and wrap the wire around them the T.U wire goes to the sending unit on the Gauge. The Gnd goes to the Ground on the Gauge. The IG+ wire goes to the Positive side of the gauge and make sure u screw the screws all the way back in tight or the gauge on the dash wont work.

For the Oil temp u have 2 tap the oil pan or get the adaptor from Tearstone
Oil Block Adapter Standard - All Japanese Makes

Then u just wire it the same way u do the water temp.

If u have any questions let me know good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
tapping the oil pan for a temp sensor would be pointless. only reason to tap the oil pan is for a oil return line. Get the Greddy adapter from tearstone and wire it in that way.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I tried hooking them up on my lunch break... not so good. I got everything hooked up, then plugged everything back in to test the water temp gauge and none of my dash lights came on when I turned on the dimmer and headlights. The water gauge lit up though, but the dash, and the pod lights stayed off. I also didn't notice the temp needle going up on the gauge either. I wrapped the signal wire around the screw that you guys told me to... didn't work. :/

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I took the gauge back off, and all the lights worked fine again.

**EDIT**

I also tried switching the wires, thinking maybe I just had something crossed, and I highly doubt I did... Whenever I switched the wires, the gauge wouldn't light up so I know I had the right ones.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
ok, what are you trying to hook up? the sending unit or the lighting of the guage?

Honestly the best way to hook up guages is the following. I follow this method on my car.

1. switched 12v (under the dash is a red/white strip wire that plugs into the back of the fuse panel.)
2. Lights (wire those into the headlight switch on the colum, not the dimmer switch)
3. ground obviously
4. continous 12v, (any 12v continuous source. radio feed works.)
5. Sensor, either buy a auxilary sensor, or find the sensor input.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
ok, what are you trying to hook up? the sending unit or the lighting of the guage?

Honestly the best way to hook up guages is the following. I follow this method on my car.

1. switched 12v (under the dash is a red/white strip wire that plugs into the back of the fuse panel.)
2. Lights (wire those into the headlight switch on the colum, not the dimmer switch)
3. ground obviously
4. continous 12v, (any 12v continuous source. radio feed works.)
5. Sensor, either buy a auxilary sensor, or find the sensor input.
:agreed:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts