Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
resident nobody
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you are trying this, but I'm thinking for the new 2008, I'll try to remove meat from my diet.

A diet consisting of steamed veggies, eggs, and the occassional dairy(cheese and milk).

My reason for trying this is partially out of curiosity - I find red meat to be too tasty/addicting. I can easily over indulge on steak or burgers and whatnot. I figure if I cut meat from my diet, I can reduce the fat intake... mainly because I find it hard to resist finishing the super large portions served by restaurants.

I figure, if I give myself the occasional burger or salad with meat once or twice a month, it would be easier to resist, and once my body gets used to it, I can control my weight better.

Any vegetarians or mostly vegetarian diet followers got any insight(s), tips? I want to lose weight - with cardio 3 - 4 times a week on a mostly vegetarian diet. I guess I'll supplement with protein shakes and beans/tofu in my diet.

·
I r bad spellr, stfu
4,028 Posts
why not just remove the red meat then? The white meats (chix, fish) are really good for you.

Just one question: Have you ever seen a healthy looking vegetarian? Ya they might be thin but I don't know about healthy...

·
resident nobody
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my problem is that I like the taste of meat, and I'm prone to overindulge and eat every piece of meat on my plate.

I admit, I was focusing more on red meat and fried chicken when I wrote that... and to that effect, I'm going to avoid red meat and fried chicken. Like I said, I might indulge once or twice a month, but I'm thinking if I up the beans and tofu intake, I would be getting the protein that I need.

·
Unemployable
3,617 Posts
Not all meat is bad for you.. especially fish and chicken. You can buy lean cuts of red meat as well. Don't torture yourself with beans and tofu (although they are good to supplement in to your diet). You'll lose motivation quickly if you have to force yourself to eat something you don't want to.

Some things I can recommend to you are eating a few healthy snacks through out the day to curve your appetite when you get to the meals. By healthy snacks, I mean anything from a piece of fruit to a handful of unsalted peanuts, string cheese or yogurt. Just a small portion of a food that's not bad for you.

Do this about 2 hours before you plan on eating a meal and it will curve your appetite. At first it's weird because you'll feel like you're filling up quicker in your body, but your head is used to eating "this" much food, so you'll want to eat though you're not hungry.

·
350Z (Z33)
2,205 Posts
I say that you are focusing on red meats and burgers. Yes they are bad but not as bad as you think.

Chicken breasts grilled with no fat and fish is really good for you. Probably the best of the meats.

Keep us posted on your plans.

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Frankly, self-control is your issue as you pointed out. I don't see the point in cutting those foods out completely, as you'll just substitute something else. You need to learn to control your portion size, and resist eating the 22 oz. steak. Put half of it (or more) in a to-go container as soon as it comes to the table. People fail on 'diets' because they think they need to eliminate the foods they crave. The key is simply 'everything in moderation'.

·
Chalk City Bitch
14,263 Posts
:agreed: Moderation is key.

And if you can eat tofu more power to you. That is one thing that I could never develop a liking for.

·
I r bad spellr, stfu
4,028 Posts
Hell just get top sirloin and grind it yourself. It is about as cheap as hamburger and you will get almost no fat with all the vitamins and protien!

·
resident nobody
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:)First off, thanks to all who took time to respond.

Not all meat is bad for you.. especially fish and chicken. You can buy lean cuts of red meat as well. Don't torture yourself with beans and tofu (although they are good to supplement in to your diet). You'll lose motivation quickly if you have to force yourself to eat something you don't want to.

Some things I can recommend to you are eating a few healthy snacks through out the day to curve your appetite when you get to the meals. By healthy snacks, I mean anything from a piece of fruit to a handful of unsalted peanuts, string cheese or yogurt. Just a small portion of a food that's not bad for you.

Do this about 2 hours before you plan on eating a meal and it will curve your appetite. At first it's weird because you'll feel like you're filling up quicker in your body, but your head is used to eating "this" much food, so you'll want to eat though you're not hungry.
I tried the cheese string/yogurt thing, and I think I was actually gaining weight - I tried salad(lettace + carrots) tossed in light vinegar(I know, plain) when I want to eat a lot of "bulk" because I figured there is lot of volume without much calories

I say that you are focusing on red meats and burgers. Yes they are bad but not as bad as you think.

Chicken breasts grilled with no fat and fish is really good for you. Probably the best of the meats.

Keep us posted on your plans.
You're right, and that's why I said I would allow myself to slip once or twice a month. I figure it would make me appreciate it more - I wouldn't get a fast food burger if I'm on a quota and would more likely opt for a healthier choice.

Dont forget you can find 95% fat free hamburger meat at the stores, thats what I buy.
Hell just get top sirloin and grind it yourself. It is about as cheap as hamburger and you will get almost no fat with all the vitamins and protien!
My current lifestyle leaves me very little time to cook for myself. Which is why I figured if I can't do it properly, I should remove it from my diet.

Frankly, self-control is your issue as you pointed out. I don't see the point in cutting those foods out completely, as you'll just substitute something else. You need to learn to control your portion size, and resist eating the 22 oz. steak. Put half of it (or more) in a to-go container as soon as it comes to the table. People fail on 'diets' because they think they need to eliminate the foods they crave. The key is simply 'everything in moderation'.
Point taken. I found that with myself, I have to wean myself into a dietary mode. Right now, I have very little control over portions, but I will after a few months of following a strict diet and my body gets used to it.

Moderation is key.

And if you can eat tofu more power to you. That is one thing that I could never develop a liking for.
I actually love tofu, I can't stand the kind where they infuse butter or some other flavoring stuff(it just racks up the calories), but the kind you find in Asian markets, I can eat raw, boiled, fried - be sensible in seasoning(little low sodium soy sauce + red pepper powder + scallions = simple and goes great over white rice from your local chinese takeout, etc)

Anyway, sorry for the long post... anyone know when the next biggest loser is gonna start?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts