Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have never changed breaks before, so last night i figured id go give it a shot. I have a 2001 Spyder GS. I went to the auto parts store and bought some Wearever gold premium pads for around 32 bucks. I removed the old ones, pushed back the caliper pistions to make room for the thinker pads, and installed the new ones. I was driving today and noticed the car started to sequel only when applying the breaks and there is a horrible burning smell. I didn't replace the rotors because they look fine and i didnt bleed the the break line because i didnt open the bleeder valve when i was pushing the caliper pistions back. Do i screw something up? Is this normal? Im scared to drive my car anywhere till i get a better idea of whats going on.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Farts In The Tub
2,245 Posts
1. did you grease the back of the pads and slider pins?
2. did you install them backwards?
3. sometimes they have to bed themselves in

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wearever gold premium pads is the type of pads i bough. 32 was middle of the road for what they were selling.

I did not grease anything, should i have to?

Shouldn't the pads just "wear in"?

·
Administrator
16,338 Posts
Wearever gold premium pads is the type of pads i bough. 32 was middle of the road for what they were selling.

I did not grease anything, should i have to?

Shouldn't the pads just "wear in"?
Yes, you should have greased. And pads don't just "wear in" after a day of driving. It takes weeks, if not months.

·
Farts In The Tub
2,245 Posts
Whenever I change my brake pads I usually do some aggressive stopping for the next day or two (when it's safe to do so) and that usually helps wear down the high spots. But it does take days/weeks/months to fully wear in. Less time if you replace the pads and rotors at the same time though because then you have 2 flat surfaces contacting each other.

·
Administrator
16,338 Posts
Whenever I change my brake pads I usually do some aggressive stopping for the next day or two (when it's safe to do so) and that usually helps wear down the high spots. But it does take days/weeks/months to fully wear in. Less time if you replace the pads and rotors at the same time though because then you have 2 flat surfaces contacting each other.
Actually, that's a very bad thing to do. :lol:. That can cause resins (that's made inside the pad, and the ones that hold it together) to rise to the top of the pad - which can cause squealing.

·
Farts In The Tub
2,245 Posts
Actually, that's a very bad thing to do. :lol:. That can cause resins (that's made inside the pad, and the ones that hold it together) to rise to the top of the pad - which can cause squealing.
This is news to me. I haven't had a problem yet :dunno: doesn't mean I won't but I seem to have decent luck thus far. In that case, completely disregard my previous advice and just drive like any other sane, civilized motorist.

·
Administrator
16,338 Posts
ITS SPELLED "BRAKES" NOT BREAKS.

Slight burning smell is normal. Some squealing is normal too, especially in cheap non-oem pads. I asked once, and i'll ask again. Did you make 100000% sure you didn't put one or two in backwards? Hell, make a video, post it on youtube and show us.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry I am a horrible speller. Lol now I didn't put them in backwards because the inner pads had a piece of metal attached to them (looks like a bracket) and the outer pads didn't have this metal bracket. You can't put the left side on the right side or vice versa because of the way the pads curves it will only fit one way. However feel free to correct me if I an wrong. As I said before, never done this before.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
A smell doesn't sound right. Can you tell if something is stuck? Maybe jack each corner up and give the wheel a spin, make sure nothing is binding up. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause a stink.

Also perhaps drive it for a while without using the brakes at all (circles in an empty parking lot) and then coast to a stop. See if anything is really hot - if it is then one (or more) corners may have the brakes applied even though your foot isn't on the pedal.

Squealing is common. Bed them in. Read around here for bed-in procedures (search function).

·
02 3.5l GT-T RIP
667 Posts
You're not working in a sterile environment, your burning off all the oils from your hands and whatever else you touched. Give it a couple days and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok so its been a week or so and im checking back in for an update. No i didnt add brake fluid and no its not at the max line. The smell isnt there anymore but here is what i have still going on:

1. Brakes get very hot (if i touch the rims long enough it feels like i might burn my hand)

2. Car still sequels, but the thing is that its only squealing when i brake and it sequels in a pattern. So basically i apply the brakes and it starts to sequel on and off for every rotation of the tires. Would sound like "sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel, sequel" then the car stops.

3. I hear a noise when i apply the breaks that is (to my knowledge) a normal noise cars make when you barely apply to them. The resulting noise is like a low growl. Well i am starting to hear this same noise when im just applying the brakes regularly. Any ideas? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts