Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for 45 minutes and I couldn't find anything besides talk about turbos and SCs.

I have a 2002 Eclipse GT (6g72) and I want to know what the "safe" range for nitrous is. I won't even think of dry shot because I don't want to deal with fuel compensation issues.

My engine is stock @ 175k miles.
I have a complete Borla exhaust, with a greddy 2.5" exhaust tip.
Injen intake (metal tubing).
No ECU tune.

I was thinking a wet 50-shot @ WOT for a quarter mile drag.
I plan to drive the car back home. lol

Thoughts? Concerns?

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
As for the OP.. Yes a wet 50 shot is plenty safe on a stock GT motor in the context that pistons can handle it. Obviously nitrous on any level can blow your shit up if not done correctly. GT's have run 75 shots for extended periods of time without issues. I know a few on 100's but the number of those that blow up goes up significantly with a shot that size. However those cars all have headers on them. The cats are going to be the biggest contribution to you blowing up aside a bad tune. They prevent exhaust from leaving the system causing exhaust gas temps to skyrocket and the stock pistons can't handle it.

Things to make sure: Get headers. Otherwise you'll want a complete ignition system overhaul. Cap, rotor, NGK wires and good iridium step 6 plugs. Also change your oil, make sure it's clean. Best thing you can do is seafoam and FLUSH the crank case and run synthetic from then on. The healthier your motor is the better it'll take it.

Also, nitrous shocks the system very hard. You can snap a timing belt if it is past service life or has high mileage. Your stock clutch probably on't handle a 50 either.

Among other thing nitrous is actually a knock preventative. People run it with high boost applications simply to cool the cylinders down. That said you'd be an idiot not to tune the car. These things run very rich stock, that doesn't work great with nitrous. If I'm honest a good set of bolt ons and a tune will do 75% of what a 50 shot will accomplish but you'll get it all the time and run no risk.

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
Enough with the useless banter in here. If you don't know how to, or are unable to say something constructive in the car specific forums, then say nothing at all. Car specific forums are not a free-for-all, and they won't ever be.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for the OP.. Yes a wet 50 shot is plenty safe on a stock GT motor in the context that pistons can handle it. Obviously nitrous on any level can blow your shit up if not done correctly. GT's have run 75 shots for extended periods of time without issues. I know a few on 100's but the number of those that blow up goes up significantly with a shot that size. However those cars all have headers on them. The cats are going to be the biggest contribution to you blowing up aside a bad tune. They prevent exhaust from leaving the system causing exhaust gas temps to skyrocket and the stock pistons can't handle it.

Things to make sure: Get headers. Otherwise you'll want a complete ignition system overhaul. Cap, rotor, NGK wires and good iridium step 6 plugs. Also change your oil, make sure it's clean. Best thing you can do is seafoam and FLUSH the crank case and run synthetic from then on. The healthier your motor is the better it'll take it.

Also, nitrous shocks the system very hard. You can snap a timing belt if it is past service life or has high mileage. Your stock clutch probably on't handle a 50 either.

Among other thing nitrous is actually a knock preventative. People run it with high boost applications simply to cool the cylinders down. That said you'd be an idiot not to tune the car. These things run very rich stock, that doesn't work great with nitrous. If I'm honest a good set of bolt ons and a tune will do 75% of what a 50 shot will accomplish but you'll get it all the time and run no risk.
I would first like to say, thank you. Some people on here just troll and they act like they came out of their mom's womb with car knowledge.

That being said, I greatly appreciate your input. I was just confused because I thought an ECU tune was only required for dry-shot because it's not injected into the intake manifold with fuel.

I will definitely pick up headers (maybe megan racing or maybe you have a better recommendation). Do you also recommend doing the overhaul regardless if I am running nitrous or not?

Also, are there any nitrous set ups you recommend for a stock 6g72?
Sorry to bombard with q's.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
I would first like to say, thank you. Some people on here just troll and they act like they came out of their mom's womb with car knowledge.

That being said, I greatly appreciate your input. I was just confused because I thought an ECU tune was only required for dry-shot because it's not injected into the intake manifold with fuel.

I will definitely pick up headers (maybe megan racing or maybe you have a better recommendation). Do you also recommend doing the overhaul regardless if I am running nitrous or not?

Also, are there any nitrous set ups you recommend for a stock 6g72?
Sorry to bombard with q's.
No you want a tune regardless. It frees up a number a fair amount of output and you want to make sure that nothing bad is going on while you're spraying.

Maintenance is huge. If your car isn't 100% up to date on it I would start there. A 50 shot on an old tired engine will be outperformed by a healthy engine that has been well modified. Then a 50 shot on a healthy and somewhat modified engine will perform all that much better. The ignition system overhaul is a must with nitrous because our ignition systems aren't inherently strong and if it isn't healthy you'll start misfiring half way through a pull.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts