Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of installing a Zex dry kit in my 01 GT. I expect the kit to arrive within a week so I am starting to prep for the install (haven't seen the install instructions yet). One thing that I am confused about is the path that the nitrous line takes to get from the trunk to the engine compartment. How have you all routed the line? Should I drill a hole in the bottom of the trunk and run the NOS line under the car, securing it with zip-ties, or something similar, OR should I run the line along my amps' power line (under the carpet, through the cabin, through the wheel well)? I am hesitant to drill into the trunk as I am not sure where the gas tank is located!

If someone suggests drilling a hole in the trunk please include some detail as to where the hole should be placed. Pics would also be extremely welcome!

·
Registered
85 Posts
NC
I have the Zex dry kit here is what I did.
Drill a hole in the trunk, you can use the hole that's already plugged, but from where I put my bottle the line wasn't long enough. Then run it under your car use a lot of zip ties to secure it. Keep it away from the muffler, cats, anything hot.
DO NOT run it inside your car. The lines get very cold, icy. Thus water = mold... you get the picture. I would reccomend that you lay it out, plan very good before you drill anything. If you need anymore help let me know I might be able to help.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Estella33 said:
DO NOT run it inside your car. The lines get very cold, icy. Thus water = mold... you get the picture. I would reccomend that you lay it out, plan very good before you drill anything.
Looks like you have helped me plan accordingly! Thanks Estella! Me and mold definately don't get along. I assume the plug is located in the spare tire well? Is it a real pain to remove or modify? I will definately take my time installing (measure twice/cut once philosophy) but if I route the line through the trunk's plug I shouldn't have to drill anything except for the hole in my CAI, correct?

Also, does the NOS nozzle go before or after the MAS? I'm guessing before...
&
What kind of spark plugs would you suggest for a Zex Dry kit? I have heard a few people suggest the Zex plugs (1 degree cooler but I dunno the part #).

Can't wait for -> :nxsmile:

·
Registered
85 Posts
The plug pulls out very easy..., actually I used the butt of a hammer and pushed it out.
As for the hole in the CAI 6-8 inches from the throttle body, before the MAS.
Plugs Either NGK Copper, or the ZEX copper plugs. Copper are a colder plug, better for FI/N20. You can get the ZEX for 30$ from Justin on this site.
http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=676

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
6 to 8 inches, huh? What would you do about the very first Injen intake? It's the one where the MAS is way down toward the bottom of the car? Some of you older guys know what I'm talking about.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Estella33 said:
As for the hole in the CAI 6-8 inches from the throttle body, before the MAS.
Little confusion here with the term "before". Does this mean it taps in between the cone air filter and the MAS or between the MAS and the rubber elbow where the CAI meets the engine?

Thanks again for your help!

·
Trance Addict
378 Posts
While yer looking for a mounting place for your bottle and discussing holes in the car - don't forget you need a spot for a safety blow off anyhow. Since the trunk compartment and cabin are not truly separated you definitely want your safety blow off to go outside the car.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is a safety BOV really needed? I know some tracks require them but I plan to spray only on occasion, off track.

I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea... especially seeing that the nos supply bottle will be located within a couple feet to my stereo amps. I'm not sure at what point an electric charge/spark would ignite a trunk-full of leaked nos but the more I type and think about it, the less I want to find out.

grrrr... ANOTHER nos accessory to buy! Seems like the list is endless...

1. zex kit
2. purge kit
3. msd rpm switch
4. zex plugs (1 degree cooler)
5. safety BOV
6. remote bottle opener (You all think this is needed? Its my understanding that the bottle has to be closed when its not in use. Why is that? Would it leak into the engine if it was left open every night or what?)

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm trying to read all I can and do this install right the first time. Can most of you tell a large or noticible difference in power or accelaration when spraying a 50-55 shot? This will be my first time using the giggle juice so any/all advice and comments are welcome.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BooDi13 said:
no a spark will not ignite a trunk full of leaking nos because nos isn't flamable
Thank God.... You just gave me the firepower I needed to tell my fiance to STFU and let me order the nitro. She was so concerned about safety (personal not engine) and kept screaming that she didn't want a "bomb" in the trunk.

I guess now the only question I have left is why would someone want/need a remote nos bottle opener?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Remote bottle opener, not necessary, but nice to have. I personally don't have one. But remember you can only open your bottle when the engine is running.
Now this is all personal, but I think the remote opener looks tacky, and some have had problems with it's operation. (Not opening bottle all the way)
A few good accessories to get would be the bottle heater and purge kit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
NC[Spyder]GT said:
Thank God.... You just gave me the firepower I needed to tell my fiance to STFU and let me order the nitro. She was so concerned about safety (personal not engine) and kept screaming that she didn't want a "bomb" in the trunk.

I guess now the only question I have left is why would someone want/need a remote nos bottle opener?
Yea but be warned, if lets say you get into an accident where you NOS tank and gas tanks both leak for whatever reason than this would be MORE flamable and dangerous than the gas tank alone.
just a heads up, and good luck with the install

·
Trance Addict
378 Posts
On the BOV... The bottle is gonna have a safety blow off on it. It has to have one, else the bottle could potentially explode if the pressure gets too high. The BOV kit is pretty much just a tube that sticks through the floorboard or wherever you mount the bottle, so that if/when this occurs the gas is expelled outside rather then inside. The post above pointed out that by itself it's not flamable and that is true. The safety issue though is the gas and it's effect on you as a human being. Ever been gased at the Dentist? That's a tiny tiny little bit of NO2, If your bottle gets hot and vents into the cabin while yer driving - that would be a very bad thing.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DGP said:
Ever been gased at the Dentist?
Yes, as well as at the Doctor, at a rave and while in the Army. Gas Rocks! :hbang:

Point taken about the dangers of leaks and the NEED for a BOV. I appreciate all your input. I'm placing my order with Justin today:

Zex Dry 55-shot
MSD RPM switch
Purge Kit
Remote Opener
Bottle heater
Zex plugs
as well as NOS pressure gauge and A-pillar.

I think I'll wait on the additional safety BOV kit. I can see it being a true life saver but seeing that my Spyder's trunk will be well ventilated (modding to pull hot air out due to the amp rack) I think it would be a little overkill at this point.

Has anyone installed/incorporated status LEDs into your ZEX kit? I've been thinking about putting LEDs in the dash to tell me what is going on with the NOS. I realize I am a nitro-newbie and so I want to be careful while using it. I figure the LEDs should help me stay on top of things and prevent me from starting the car while ther bottle is open (I hear this is BAD), etc.
LEDs
1. Red - Bottle Open
2. Yellow - Armed (safety switch activated)
3. Green - Active/Spraying
4. Blue - Purge Active

Anyone tried this? Got pics? Recommendations? Thx again fellas.

·
Trance Addict
378 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe some switches with leds in them. Couple of led rocker switches for bottle heater and bottle opener. Spring loaded pin switch for the purge. Some type of covered safety switch for arm. Ash try location would make a nice spot for a little switch/led cluster. That or maybe just below the hazard switch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts